What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

murraymob

Coach

Tigerm

First Grade
While at time the cap does suck it has cost us many players over the last few years it is needed.The broncos and roosters with no cap would be unbeatable they would feild one team and sit a second one in reserve grade
I believe there has to be a better way, IMO have a type of rating system, where all players are rated to their experience and then you are only allowed to have a certain number of players in a total. Eg. Cleary would be a 5 and a new kid would be a1? It's transparent and can't be cheated.
Let the clubs pay what they want, they do it now anyway.

gordsy

Juniors
I believe there's no way we have a draft, especially when Vlandys and Andrew Invisible Abdo are charge. But wouldn't it be great to have one. How would it work though ?
Surely the nrl could have tv shows showcasing rising stars, pre draft interviews workouts and mock drafts as well as the real draft. If only we hasn't sold the digital arm we cant have set up a channel re this and charged for it like foxsports or kayo

Tiger Pedro

Juniors
A Draft? - Be careful what you wish for!
There are basically no drafts operating in major sports around the world that would apply to the likes of Fifita, Young, Lenui or any other established NRL player. The American drafts in the NBA and NFL are external drafts whereby college players are being drafted from amateur college tams into the professional world of NFL and NBA. No NBA or NFL stars move from team to team (franchise to franchise) via a draft.
Even the AFL draft is an external draft for rookies and senior players already in the AFL don't move from club to club, team to team via their draft. So a draft for established NRL players - NEVER gonna happen!!!
So why would a development club support an external draft?
Let's think of the case of the Panthers (a club that we should be looking to emulate) over the past 5 years or so, not only would they be losing top level talented players to other teams due to the salary cap, they would also be losing one or two top tier juniors / rookies per year to bottom dwelling clubs via the external draft.
As the development club that we SHOULD be there is no way I want an external draft.

The game needs a draft pure and simple.

The Fifita, Lenui and Young signings just underpin what we all know.

The Roosters aren’t finished just wait and wonder.
The draft is a bad idea from a Penrith point of view. That will mean all the young talent you guys are developing will all go into the draft and be picked off by the clubs at the bottom of the ladder like us. Personally I'd prefer a rookie draft but it would mean that all junior league would have to be funded by the NRL or NSWRL / QRL, and I don't trust either organisation to do a good job of it. Plus, if we can get our shit together and really start getting the best out of our vast junior nursery in Cambo, we may be able to do something similar to Penrith in the future, so I'd keep the status quo from a purely selfish standpoint.

What I think would be a good idea, and what I think you might be getting at, is restricted free agency. By this, I mean when an established player wants to leave their current club. My proposal would be that when a player wants to test their value on the open market they go into a restricted pool. Interested clubs get to place their bets, so to speak, directly with the NRL. The highest bidder wins the player's services. I'd include loyalty cap dispensations for the current club after say 7 years, which would reduce the cap spend, and help developmental clubs like Penrith. I'd also include a minor cap dispensation of say 10% for players looking to chase a comp at a preferred club, after having played for say 10 years without winning one. Based on that, the Fifita / Wighton contracts would not be registered. This process would also ensure the player would be protected financially as they'd be maximising their value and income. The fans (aside from Roosters, and Broncos) would be protected from those clubs (or whoever the new financial powerhouse is in the future who seen to be able to sign all the origin and international talent) picking off whoever they want / need, on deals that beggar belief.

I'd have the NRL involved as the integrity unit and salary cap auditors appear to be doing 9/10ths of f**k all presently, and could oversee the process. I'd also have the players union involved as that is what they should be there for, instead of attempting to further whatever political ambitions Clint Newton has. This proposal should stop the current shenanigans from occurring and make the whole process transparent. It's far from perfect but its a start.

Conversely, they could just go into a draft and whoever is the lowest club on the totem pole at years end, either gets to pass or take them at fair market value. The issue with this is who determines what fair market value is? Again, I don't trust the NRL to be able manage this adequately. The other problem is tanking by clubs towards the end of the year.

The other, and more likely outcome, is that once enacted, some player will seek to have the draft overturned in court. There's already a precedent for this and if contested, any draft will immediately be found to be a restraint of trade. My proposal could also fall into this trap, but it hasn't been done before and might stand up to proceedings.

Anyways, sorry for the essay. Just some food for thought on a lazy Monday afternoon.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Florimo. How did I just remember that name. The Perth Bears.Music! Someone has changed Vlandys mind on the west

Last edited:
59EB7CDE-9945-4929-8B67-54C45E0705CD.jpeg
I think it’s copyrighted, but he says he knows things are f**ked at the moment but hang in there.

Anyway, that’s something we know.

It had a more human touch than the denial we are more used to.

Last edited:
I would love a sealed section “members only” hurrah site where the ceo admits to;

a) underperforming players.
b) discipline problems.
c) coaching issues.
d) recruitment mistakes.
e) fitness concerns.
f) club infighting and factional disputes.

I’d pay extra membership fees for the truth.

And even more to see what his plans are to fix things.

At this stage, I’m thinking even Brad Arthur could be in contemplation in a coup. Benji can stay as a “footy manager” type option so as not to lose face and keep JL happy.

Brad could get us to the finals by 28 at least.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I would love a sealed section “members only” hurrah site where the ceo admits to;

a) underperforming players.
b) discipline problems.
c) coaching issues.
d) recruitment mistakes.
e) fitness concerns.
f) club infighting and factional disputes.

I’d pay extra membership fees for the truth.

And even more to see what his plans are to fix things.

At this stage, I’m thinking even Brad Arthur could be in contemplation in a coup. Benji can stay as a “footy manager” type option so as not to lose face and keep JL happy.

Brad could get us to the finals by 28 at least.
Hey mate just a quick one any news on severity of John Bateman injury and what the scans show? I have him in my fantasy team if he’s out 6 weeks I’ll sell if it’s 2-3 weeks I’ll hold him.

Good luck on Sunday against the Dolphins mate hopefully you guys can have a win.

May i add Sezer 4 weeks was rough when Tago who injured J. Gray hip drop Tago only got one week. I just can’t understand it it’s a lottery! And then Keary chicken wing yesterday only a fine mind you nothing surprises me anymore!

Hey mate just a quick one any news on severity of John Bateman injury and what the scans show? I have him in my fantasy team if he’s out 6 weeks I’ll sell if it’s 2-3 weeks I’ll hold him.

Good luck on Sunday against the Dolphins mate hopefully you guys can have a win.

May i add Sezer 4 weeks was rough when Tago who injured J. Gray hip drop Tago only got one week. I just can’t understand it it’s a lottery! And then Keary chicken wing yesterday only a fine mind you nothing surprises me anymore!
Thanks for your support.

@Vic Mackey would have a better idea than me, I think he’s 3 or 4, which doesn’t help you.

He’s had a few injuries, I’d probably sell.

Tough because he’s one of my favourite Tigers.

Bennet will be good for you guys, then I was thinking he can coach the Perth Bears for their maiden season.

It’s funny how he’s shut so many people down worrying about age. He just gets better. He will be winning premierships at 85.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thanks for your support.

@Vic Mackey would have a better idea than me, I think he’s 3 or 4, which doesn’t help you.

He’s had a few injuries, I’d probably sell.

Tough because he’s one of my favourite Tigers.

Bennet will be good for you guys, then I was thinking he can coach the Perth Bears for their maiden season.

It’s funny how he’s shut so many people down worrying about age. He just gets better. He will be winning premierships at 85.
3-4 hhmmm might be back round 14 then. I like Bateman. Galvin is the one whose great to watch.

Hope you are right mate we are going through a tough phase it happens will stick with them of course as you guys do with yours they’ll come good again!

Latest posts