What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Time On An All New TV General Discussion Thread

Been watching The Outsider.

Acting is great, particularly Mendehlson, and I liked the book but god they are dragging it out.

Why can't the yanks ever realise a story doesn't need to be 10 episodes. Would have have been great in 4 or 5.
Agree 1000%
Look at Chernobyl .
5 episodes .
That's all that was needed .
The story told in 5 brilliant episodes .

mackdadday

Juniors
Currently watching Brockmire.

Hank Azaria plays a major league baseball commentator who has a meltdown live on the air and has to work his way back to the top.

It’s a comedy, but it’s essentially live-action BoJack Horseman. Very dark, occasionally very heavy but also quite funny.

You had me at Bojack Horseman..Just binged season 1 yesterday, it's hilarious and Hank Azaria has always been an underrated actor.

Timbo

Staff member
You had me at Bojack Horseman..Just binged season 1 yesterday, it's hilarious and Hank Azaria has always been an underrated actor.

The scene where he’s drinking water to prove he doesn’t need booze to get through the day is possibly my new favourite scene in tv.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Introducing my wife to the soul-destroying beauty of The Leftovers atm.

I’m also thinking an X-Files rewatch needs to happen, with or without her.

PJ

First Grade
Finished Outsider. Started strong, finished very weak.

Hated that they set it up for a sequel. Doesn't need it, doesn't deserve it, makes what should have been the ending essentially pointless and I won't be watching it .

Mr Mercedes I can understand as a 3 season as that was a book series (I prefer the characterisatoin of Holly in The Outsider much more), though was poor as an adaptation, but The Outsider was a 1 and done book.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Finished Outsider. Started strong, finished very weak.

Hated that they set it up for a sequel. Doesn't need it, doesn't deserve it, makes what should have been the ending essentially pointless and I won't be watching it .

Mr Mercedes I can understand as a 3 season as that was a book series (I prefer the characterisatoin of Holly in The Outsider much more), though was poor as an adaptation, but The Outsider was a 1 and done book.

Dunno if they set it up as a sequel or just to give a lasting “what if”? I like things that finish, leaving you wondering. I agree the ending wasn’t very satisfying, but I was pretty happy with the series overall.

I’m cheering since I discovered Curb Your Enthusiasm season 10 is out. Watched 2 or 3 so far and it’s the usual high-quality comedy. One of the themes has been #metoo. Jeff gets mistaken for H.Weinstein and Larry gets accused of sexual assault/abuse? Not sure exactly but as you’d expect, it’s based on absurd situations.

Gee I’m glad we have shows like this. Larry David is my friggin hero. I used to think Seinfeld was the best show ever, but have soured on that belief, because I watch re-runs of it all the time and the reality is only a few seasons of it were standouts. The other seasons are still ok-good, but I think Curb has overtaken it for consistent quality.

Anyway, it just goes to show that LD is in a comedy class of his own when it comes to television.

mackdadday

Juniors
Just watched the second last episode of Ozarchs latest season. Never watching tv ever again. Too drained and destroyed.

Matua

Bench
Just watched the second last episode of Ozarchs latest season. Never watching tv ever again. Too drained and destroyed.
This episode actually really annoyed me ... I just watched it last night.

I hate it when TV show characters do things completely out of character and to me this was completely out of character for Wendy, and if it's not out of character for her then naturally she's not going to care about anyone including Marty and the kids. I caught the first scene of E10 before switching it off and I can already tell that it's going to annoy me.

The Ozark is on my short (longish) list for the LU top 30 shows - but I think it's chances of remaining just took a dent.

mackdadday

Juniors
This episode actually really annoyed me ... I just watched it last night.

I hate it when TV show characters do things completely out of character and to me this was completely out of character for Wendy, and if it's not out of character for her then naturally she's not going to care about anyone including Marty and the kids. I caught the first scene of E10 before switching it off and I can already tell that it's going to annoy me.

The Ozark is on my short (longish) list for the LU top 30 shows - but I think it's chances of remaining just took a dent.

The guy who plays Ben should get an emmy. Agree that it was out of character for Wendy. Shes worse than Carol bassin!

Vic Mackey

Referee
I saw "The Purge" tv series one. I loved the first movie ans hated the next two sequels. I enjoyed the tv show very much though, well worth a look.

Funnily enough I liked the second one the best, but that could have been due to Frank Grillo who I think is great

Matua

Bench
The guy who plays Ben should get an emmy. Agree that it was out of character for Wendy. Shes worse than Carol bassin!
I think the finale slightly redeemed it, although I still think episode 9 was silly.

Also I 100% new that final scene was going to play out like that.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I’ve been watching Mr. Inbetween. Only seen some of season 2 which has been pretty good. I just finished watching episode 9... f**king intense man!

nöyd

Staff member
Missus has been into New Amsterdam, a medical drama set in NY. Kept reminding me of a similar but better show I watched years ago. So, I recently acquired *ahem* all 15 seasons of ER, and binged season one in a day and a half.

Remembered watching it way back when, and remembered Dr. Benton as being a complete prick. This time however, for the first half or so of season one he was not the most approachable guy but he was pretty happy-go-lucky in his attitude most of the time. However as soon as his mother required around the clock care, he turned into the real dickface motherf**ker I remembered from years ago.

His progression and complete turn to the dark side shows some damn good writing imo. There is some sloppy stuff there, particularly the young female student doctor who botches one procedure, then up and quits, never to be seen again. They had a 5 minute scene where Dr. Carter tries to convince her to stay on, and that was it.

There was a Top Gun reunion later in the season too, with Goose, Jester and Slider all in the same episode, in fact possibly in the same scene/shot.

I’ve been watching Mr. Inbetween. Only seen some of season 2 which has been pretty good. I just finished watching episode 9... f**king intense man!
Best Aussie series ever ..
Season 2 Ep 4 ..about the man getting Ray to try to find out what happened to his daughter .
This episode is probably the most memorable bit of Drama I've ever watched ( lol how the show can fit black comedy, intense drama, mundane everyday life, violence, Aussie witticisms & tell a story etc into 25 mins is an amazing feat ) .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Season 2 Ep 4 ..about the man getting Ray to try to find out what happened to his daughter .
This episode is probably the most memorable bit of Drama I've ever watched ( lol how the show can fit black comedy, intense drama, mundane everyday life, violence, Aussie witticisms & tell a story etc into 25 mins is an amazing feat ) .
Yep, it’s a brilliant show. Absolutely love it.

Timbo

Staff member
Ran out of shows I actually wanted to watch, so I’ve been binging Ballers on Foxtel on demand.

For a show that’s essentially just Entourage but with NFL players instead of actors, it’s pretty enjoyable. The weirdest thing is watching Dwayne Johnson swear and drink and rail lines of coke given how family friendly his movie career has skewed in recent times.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Recorded the first season of Britannia and watched the first episode last night.

I love history and Druidism is particularly interesting so I enjoyed it.

Lemon Squash

First Grade

This show is criminally underrated... legit the best Aussie series I have ever seen, daylight second.

Its good Foxtel have it as they can keep it gritty and raw but I just think if it was on Free to Air how many more eyes would be on it and get to appreciate it.

That particular episode was just intense from start to finish, brilliant TV.

azzah72

Bench
This show is criminally underrated... legit the best Aussie series I have ever seen, daylight second.

Its good Foxtel have it as they can keep it gritty and raw but I just think if it was on Free to Air how many more eyes would be on it and get to appreciate it.

That particular episode was just intense from start to finish, brilliant TV.

I still crack up at the first season ep where they go to chop the guy up they just killed.

That payoff is f**king hilarious.

Latest posts