What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Iamback

Coach
Foxtel are going to lose the rights eventually.. so if that’s what their (Foxtel) worth is dependent on .. it’ll doesn’t seem a wise investment … maybe HBO should just talk directly to the NRL

Binge has as much subs as Kayo has, then you get all the old programming for extra content.

That is a head start in new streaming.

As for speaking to the NRL, PVL owns a production company but a new streamer won't have the numbers.

Either way a new buyer is going to want to stream line things and just having less games is a good way to do that.

Munky

Coach
Where are you guys pulling HBO from?

It is owned by Warner Bros Discovery who are in a world of pain at the moment and just took a write down on their cable assets of $9b USD.

They just lost the NBA rights in the US (although trying to sue over Amazon getting the streaming rights).

HBO content I believe is also leaving Foxtel/Binge for its own Max streaming service.

Why would a company bid for Foxtel when the can bid directly for the content on a new service? Very little physical infrastructure spend is required unlike pre streaming to start a new service.

Iamback

Coach
Where are you guys pulling HBO from?

It is owned by Warner Bros Discovery who are in a world of pain at the moment and just took a write down on their cable assets of $9b USD.

They just lost the NBA rights in the US (although trying to sue over Amazon getting the streaming rights).

HBO content I believe is also leaving Foxtel/Binge for its own Max streaming service.

Why would a company bid for Foxtel when the can bid directly for the content on a new service? Very little physical infrastructure spend is required unlike pre streaming to start a new service.

You'd think it would be a company with no presence here, I just threw them out because as you said they are looking to come here but haven't.

And they have an existing relationship with Foxtel so them talking makes sense.

Genuine question who else would be interested?

Netflix, Amazon, Disney are already here. Buying Foxtel makes no sense

Munky

Coach
Netflix is getting into NFL game streaming over Christmas this year.

Amazon is already in on the NFL with Thursday night football.

Apple has the MLS (lol).

Disney owns ESPN and is launching a sports streaming service this year with other large NFL rights owners.

Google via YouTube has the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Paramount did just get sold so they might want a crack through owning Channnel ten or FTA and Paramount Plus to stream

I'll be very surprised if one of the major media/tech companies doesn't come in and have a bid on the NRL/AFL.

Wb1234

Referee
You'd think it would be a company with no presence here, I just threw them out because as you said they are looking to come here but haven't.

And they have an existing relationship with Foxtel so them talking makes sense.

Genuine question who else would be interested?

Netflix, Amazon, Disney are already here. Buying Foxtel makes no sense
Stan or a hedge fund like Macquarie or blackrock

Iamback

Coach
Netflix is getting into NFL game streaming over Christmas this year.

Amazon is already in on the NFL with Thursday night football.

Apple has the MLS (lol).

Disney owns ESPN and is launching a sports streaming service this year with other large NFL rights owners.

Google via YouTube has the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Paramount did just get sold so they might want a crack through owning Channnel ten or FTA and Paramount Plus to stream

I'll be very surprised if one of the major media/tech companies doesn't come in and have a bid on the NRL/AFL.

All of those sports can be sold to overseas markets.

Where do they sell NRL to?

That is the problem with getting it done, I think NRL doing it's own production and selling the days seperate is the best option to get them on board

Steel Saints

Juniors
I think they vastly overpaid for the AFL because they got a ridiculous cut price deal on the NRL. They are trying to get out before shit hits the fan when the NRL says pay up.

New seven year AFL tv deal commences next year. News Ltd, who owns 65% of Foxtel, is looking to sell it off.

Coincidence?