What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Iamback

Coach
ESPN/Disney also pay $2.6 Billion per year for MNF. It's on a totally different scale, but if the model works there, it could work here. $80 Million per year is only 3% of that deal.

Yes but every team/market has their own production crew.

What are we looking at $50m for say Monday night game? Production costs are roughly $100k a game.

You are looking at $52m a year. For that to work you need $130 spend from everyone of the 400k viewers.

Iamback

Coach
Cant agree about the current deal … they are on big unders ..

The way the NRL are charging headlong into expansion, and with the clubs already on board apparently after years of pushing back about “cutting up the pie into more slices” … leads me to think they have a good idea already that they are getting significant broadcast increases this time .,. I would suspect that involves a significant new player ( perhaps a streaming service ) getting some of the action

The NRLW was shown at 12pm on a Sat on both Fox and FTA. How many of those games do you think turned a profit?

Sunday games don't, Outside of Origin Thursday night FTA is the only that makes a profit

I have said previously that once the next TV deal is down. With expansion that the overall TV money will be higher than the AFL deal. Bringing expansion forward was huge for the next deal. 2032 on is the question

Their hope is Netflix or Amazon get involved as it is more 'international' now

How much do you think a local provider is paying for PNG games or NZ 2?

Especially if we get the reduced season and have less Broncos, Souths and any of the other bring drawcards?

Iamback

Coach
If these teams are successful, then like Melbourne, people will tune into watch them regardless of where they are from.
In fact, their geographical positioning will only enhance their ability to be marketed and build rivalries.

I get that but Foxtel, Stan etc need people to also buy subs to go with the advertising.

It is impossible for someone in PNG or NZ to get Foxtel, So a local options comes into play and they can't pay as much for the rights.

It is where getting Amazon etc comes into it, They show the cricket but they don't produce it.
NRL isn't set up yet to do that