What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

chigurh

I wish they could have sorted ALL rights (NZ + International) before announcing it.

You can all but guarantee any mention of the deal will NOT include the final figure, well after it is sorted.

Edwahu

Bench
My gut feel is there is an extra 300m for the next 2 years. So $2.1m plus international to come.

Not announced so Newscorp save face.

It's just the narrative. Win-win. Nrl get the cash

Why bother hiding it, it's not like the NRL is going to be able to hide 150m PA revenue bump.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
This I don't know...

I was under the impression that the NRL were going to get another $300Mil for the next two years but this doesn't appear to be the case.

My gut feel is there is an extra 300m for the next 2 years. So $2.1m plus international to come.

Terrible if they've just bent over and given it away for free.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Remember the last deal grant said the next tv right will be about the fans..

Nek minute

6pm Friday game

993623-john-grant.jpg

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Friday 6pm will be absolutely atrocious for crowds. Like 3-4k bad.

I would love someone from the NRL to explain how they came to 6pm Friday games and why this is better for fans than any other option. As you said the crowds will be atrocious, people will be commuting at that time to the TV ratings will be terrible as well. It will surely be one of the lower quality games as well since Thursday/Friday/Saturday 7:30/Sunday 4pm will be the four biggest games.

I am just at a loss as to how you could look at the times available for other games and come up with this ridiculous timeslot.

I wonder how long it would take for 3-4k crowds before they moved away from it.

insert.pause

First Grade

it's not, it is for 5 years @1.8bn, the financial terms of the current deal will remain until the increased money kicks in for 2018-22. Nine get thursday's, which is why they are giving up simulcasting, fox get fri 6pm, which is why they will give up MNF in 2017.

DC_fan

Coach
Do we really need NRL on 5 days a week? Massive oversaturation.

Crowds will indeed be atrocious.

The only positive is that I never have to hear Ray Warren commentate an NRL game again (minus the GF).

I have to agree with you. Its overkill.

It will be a little better when they drop the Monday night game and return to four days.

beave

Coach
6pm Friday is sheer lunacy. I can't believe they agreed to it.

Very underwhelmed with this deal.

I would love someone from the NRL to explain how they came to 6pm Friday games and why this is better for fans than any other option. As you said the crowds will be atrocious, people will be commuting at that time to the TV ratings will be terrible as well. It will surely be one of the lower quality games as well since Thursday/Friday/Saturday 7:30/Sunday 4pm will be the four biggest games.

I am just at a loss as to how you could look at the times available for other games and come up with this ridiculous timeslot.

I wonder how long it would take for 3-4k crowds before they moved away from it.

The worst part was Grant trying to make it sound positive by describing that time slot as the "family and New Zealand friendly time slot". :crazy:

Problem is that what families are the parents at home by that time? Many aren't. Also does that mean it is only to be used for the NZ Warriors? So we go from Friday Night Broncos to Friday Night Warriors?! Gee that makes it an even comp eh! :roll:

Roy80

Juniors
it's not, it is for 5 years @1.8bn, the financial terms of the current deal will remain until the increased money kicks in for 2018-22. Nine get thursday's, which is why they are giving up simulcasting, fox get fri 6pm, which is why they will give up MNF in 2017.
There is no way in hell Fox aren't paying more for the next two years and getting all games simulcast.
If that's true i'll be the first one to say Grants gotta go

Latest posts