What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

DiegoNT

First Grade
broadcast revenue is more like 224m pa under current deal, frm 2018 it will jump to ~$390m pa.

Ok thanks. So if the nrl recieve $224m for 2017 and gets close to its $2b after all rights are done that means nrl will recieving roughly $2.2b over the 2017-2022 period compared to $2.5b the afl will recieve over the same time ( with an extra game a week and their games going for an exfra hour and having more time for ad breaks)

BuffaloRules

Coach
Nine absolutely cleaned up. They're the big winners out of this deal.

I have been saying for the past week that in hindsight Gyngell has put on a negotiating master class....

Nine gained control over the selling of the Saturday night game and the Fox simulcasting and was able to leverage this to save themselves money and with no opportunity for the NRL to increase the money going to them...

Also lets be honest.. they should be paying what they have ended up paying for the three NRL games alone... they have got Origin for free ( should have been another $150Mil over 5 years...)

Roy80

Juniors
Beccy on Victorian radio yesterday https://twitter.com/AFLivebroadcast/status/669807227964755968

warning: vomit inducing

Guys listen to the first minute of this interview.
Then ask yourself, how can the NRL deliver the money they feel they deserve, and also let News save face?

They kept the 300m form the announcement, as its not part of the 5 year deal. A technicality but i think NEWS would have been adamant, and wanted to control the message.

Well, at least i hope thats the case. I just cannot believe the NRL would push this through with all night negotiations. Something is fishy

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Well Murdoch's happy.

Simulcasting of all games: ☑
Monopoly on Saturdays:☑
Digital rights: ☑
Only thing he lost was MNF.

edit: Don't bother trying to jump through hoops trying to find a way to get this deal over the $2B line. If it was at all possible they would've been shouting it from the top of the Harbour Bridge.

I thought it was just an April Fools joke that was told a few months early when this Friday 6pm timeslot was first mentioned in the media. Now that it has come to fruition, I'm extremely disappointed the ARLC agreed to this. Like you said, I thought the delay in the announcement was to do with some disputation over the agreement and I was hoping that the Friday 6pm timeslot was one of the clauses. NZ Warriors won't be getting all the Friday 6pm matches as that will give them the same unfair advantage that the Broncos have had with Friday night football in recent years. It was clearly stated that Warriors and QLD teams (i.e. Broncos/Cowboys/Titans) would be the teams most likely to play in that timeslot. If so, those QLD teams' home crowds are going to suffer. Given how pathetic the Titans crowds have been in recent times, I'd hate to see how they're going to look like now.
6pm Friday is no different from 6pm on Monday-Thursday. To think this is not going to have an impact on club memberships is ludicrous.

Would've much preferred to have seen Sunday 6/6:30pm, or even Sunday 12pm.

Thing is, how can it be applied to the Broncos? Suncorp Stadium management came out earlier this month and said, legally, the ground cannot be used for a game kicking off at 6pm on a Friday. To refresh people's minds -

Suncorp Stadium can’t legally host 6pm Friday night game

November 12, 2015 8:00pm
PAUL MALONE @PMalone_CMailThe Courier-Mail

PROPOSED NRL games scheduled for Suncorp Stadium at 6pm on Friday night are not just unpopular — they’re illegal.

Stadium management say they cannot lawfully take a booking for the new timeslot being put forward as part of Fox Sports’ new broadcast deal because Suncorp requires full public transport capacity under the conditions of the ground’s development application.

Effectively, the state government will not allow 35,000 Broncos fans arriving by public transport on a Friday night as the CBD is emptying at peak hour for the weekend.

A letter explaining this was sent to the NRL on Thursday by stadium general manager Alan Graham.

Stadiums Queensland advised the NRL that games in the timeslot would not be able to be played at either Suncorp Stadium or Gold Coast’s Cbus Super Stadium.

The 6pm kickoffs, which would probably become 5pm during daylight saving periods in NSW, would not permit the number of dedicated train and bus services to move enough people into Broncos home games, who have averaged about 33,000 for each of the past two seasons.

“There are genuine concerns about this potential impact on patrons, the ability of Suncorp Stadium, Cbus Super Stadium and (Townsville’s) 1300SMILES Stadium to service patrons, the impact on hirers and also the heightened pressures on transport services,’’ a Stadiums Queensland spokesman said.

While Channel 9 would want most Broncos home games for one of its Thursday or Friday night telecasts during the next rights period, the NRL insisted in August that it had taken back from Nine the right to schedule its own fixture list.

Graham said Suncorp Stadium events were obligated to be staged at times when a public transport plan can be effectively put in place, with tickets carrying a right to free public transport travel.

“It makes it difficult to put the event on legally otherwise,’’ he said.

“The transport operators are telling us of their ongoing commitment to post-school and peak-hour commuters.

“We have pointed out (to the NRL) what all the practicalities and the legal circumstances are which we are required to have so they can make an informed decision on this.

“For a Friday night game, 85 to 90 per cent of people come by public transport. If you can’t provide public transport you can’t get the spectators here. ‘’

Like the three Queensland clubs, Stadiums Queensland and Graham say they know about plans for the timeslot only what they have read in the press.

These reports spoke of the 6pm matches for proposed Fox Sports telecasts being played in Brisbane, Auckland and Townsville — but not Sydney.

“We have been in touch with (Broncos CEO) Paul White because it’s important they know what our view is,’’ Graham said.

As well as the NRL clubs having flagged seeking compensation from the NRL if the new timeslot is introduced, stadiums and contracted caterers may also want compensation from the NRL.

The SQ spokesman said a 6pm kick-off at any of the three NRL venues in Queensland would “actively discourage patrons from attending’’.

“Even in Townsville, there is still a reliance on the a shuttle bus services to get Cowboy fans to the venue from the CBD and other parts of the city,” he said.

“Stadiums Queensland has let the NRL know of the issues this proposal will create at the three venues (Suncorp Stadium, Cbus Super Stadium and 1300SMILES Stadium) and subsequent impacts on hirers.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...riday-night-game/story-fniabjcr-1227606788999

It just boggles the mind that John Grant would dud the Qld teams with this crud.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The AFL will get about $27m pa more in their deal with an extra game, the financial value of the deals are pretty similar.

In percentage terms they have made a larger increase on yearly payments, without adding anything extra.

In fact they will more than likely end up with 4.5 FTA games across two channels.

We've paid for it with a slot no one in Australia wants to attend.

This deal can't be rationalised.

Glen

Bench
It's hard enough to get to a 7pm kickoff on Monday nights after work. Friday 6pm?! And you just know it will be in great central locations like Penrith and Manly most weeks

Incorrect

Coach
Thing is, how can it be applied to the Broncos? Suncorp Stadium management came out earlier this month and said, legally, the ground cannot be used for a game kicking off at 6pm on a Friday. To refresh people's minds -

It just boggles the mind that John Grant would dud the Qld teams with this crud.

Apparently in response to finding out the unavailability of Suncorp for Friday 6pm games, Grant said "Well so what? We'll just play at Lang Park instead!"

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I have been saying for the past week that in hindsight Gyngell has put on a negotiating master class....

Nine gained control over the selling of the Saturday night game and the Fox simulcasting and was able to leverage this to save themselves money and with no opportunity for the NRL to increase the money going to them...

Also lets be honest.. they should be paying what they have ended up paying for the three NRL games alone... they have got Origin for free ( should have been another $150Mil over 5 years...)
Yea the new CEO must be laughing, makes him look great. Probably buying Gyngell a beer right now. $625mil for 5yrs of the 3 best timeslots and exclusive grand final and origins. Bargain.

redvscotty

First Grade
Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the first few rounds coincides with daylight savings, meaning games played in NZ/NSW/VIC time would be played at 5PM on TV in QLD. LOL.

They'll say they won't do it, but we all know how that pans out in the end.

beave

Coach
John Grant did a Ben Hunt IMO.

The cynic in me feels like he just rushed a deal through to get some more cash to shut the clubs up and keep his job than actually making a decision for the future of the game and the fans. Good luck getting your crowd averages up to 20k like you stated a few years ago with this 6pm friday game. The crowds we will get no matter where played will be a laughing stock. Im actually ashamed at the ARLC for allowing this.

News and 9 win again it seems.

reanimate

Bench
It's hard enough to get to a 7pm kickoff on Monday nights after work. Friday 6pm?! And you just know it will be in great central locations like Penrith and Manly most weeks

Most commuters on the Northern Beaches are still stuck on a bus or in their car at 6pm thanks to the shit public transport and terrible roads in the area. If there's ever a 6pm game at Brookvale, there'll be no one there.

Last Week

Bench
Point out one significant positive to convince me otherwise.

I can't think of many. I'm glad we lost Monday night footy but we now have Thursday nights. Still the same issues of the current Monday night turn around. I'm glad we have control of the schedule and a shorter season, but this just isn't worth it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Most commuters on the Northern Beaches are still stuck on a bus or in their car at 6pm thanks to the shit public transport and terrible roads in the area. If there's ever a 6pm game at Brookvale, there'll be no one there.

Same in Penrith. It's the stupidest decision made by RL and that's saying something

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I can't think of many. I'm glad we lost Monday night footy but we now have Thursday nights. Still the same issues of the current Monday night turn around. I'm glad we have control of the schedule and a shorter season, but this just isn't worth it.

It is a complete mess.

From Mondays then to Thursdays. Then also Friday arvos. Some Saturdays but not others. One Origin on a Sunday two and a half weeks after the first then back to a Wednesday.

:crazy:

It is fckin all over the place, but apparently it is also a win for me.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
John Grant did a Ben Hunt IMO.

The cynic in me feels like he just rushed a deal through to get some more cash to shut the clubs up and keep his job than actually making a decision for the future of the game and the fans. Good luck getting your crowd averages up to 20k like you stated a few years ago with this 6pm friday game. The crowds we will get no matter where played will be a laughing stock. Im actually ashamed at the ARLC for allowing this.

News and 9 win again it seems.
I could understand if they had wanted to get it done now so they could get more money for the next two years but that doesn't appear to have happened. They should have waited.

insert.pause

First Grade

it won't be?

they will be games probably played in Newcastle, cc, nz, Canberra & Melbourne.

beave

Coach
I hope it (friday 6pm)fails miserably and fox have to re-think their strategy.

It's actually way worse than having monday 7pm. If they wanted a good tv timeslot, they (ARLC) should have just stuck with the Monday games. This makes no sense whatsoever.

insert.pause

First Grade
That's all very nice, but the NRL should have upped the price of of the 18-22 period knowing the significant advantage this gives them over the next two years

First rule of negotiation is being prepared to walk away. The NRL couldn't wait to make a deal and it has cost them dearly.

Point out one significant positive to convince me otherwise.

It's no different to Gyngell moving the Sunday game to 4pm so it's live, the NRL were never going to convince broadcasters to pay the game millions more for rights they already owned.

Not having to wait until 2018 for all games live, control of schedule, simulcasting, an NRL channel and 4 FTA games in the final 5 rds are all positives that could just as easily been put off for two years.

It's a pass mark imo, but with all the beat up we've been put through about it it's still a bit disappointing.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Essentially to gain about an extra $100m - $200m (approx) and control of scheduling to get towards a $1.8 billion deal John Grant had to:

1. Swap Monday Night Football for Friday 6pm Football
2. Sell the sponsorship for about $50m less than what they could have sold it for later in 2016 or 2017
3. Wind back the F2A coverage from 4 games to 3
4. Give away 5 days of football in 2016 with extra Thursday Night games
5. Give away simulcasting in 2016 & 2017

My guess is the Optus offer for the pay tv & stream rights fell around $1.4 to $1.6 billion.

Latest posts