What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

insert.pause

First Grade
I hope it (friday 6pm)fails miserably and fox have to re-think their strategy.

It's actually way worse than having monday 7pm. If they wanted a good tv timeslot, they (ARLC) should have just stuck with the Monday games. This makes no sense whatsoever.

nine wanted a thursday game but you can't limit short turnarounds and also keep MNF. At least not permanently anyway.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I hope it (friday 6pm)fails miserably and fox have to re-think their strategy.

It's actually way worse than having monday 7pm. If they wanted a good tv timeslot, they (ARLC) should have just stuck with the Monday games. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd say channel 9 stuck firm their Thursday night, monday night means nrl across 5 deals and makes its harder to reduce the number of times teams have a 5 day turn around so fox compromised with a Friday arvo game. Friday arvo game will probably ne similar to monday night, good for tv, shit house for fans to attend to

beave

Coach
Yeah I get that mate but even getting fox to do a sunday night game would rate better than this friday game.

morningstar

Juniors
6pm game is perfect for the Warriors and will probably increase the NZ component of the TV deal.

In the current deal the Warriors usually get the Sat 3pm (5pm NZ) game or Sunday 2pm (4pm NZ) game on Fox. The least high profile and lowest rating games of the round.

Jim Doyle has been campaigning for Friday night games since he took over but because of the time difference Nine always balked. 6pm kickoff is 8pm in Auckland. Perfect for the Warriors as they will attract more corporate attendance than on a weekend.

Sky NZ now have their highest rating NRL team playing regularly in prime time on a Friday night too. The only spanner in the work is Super Rugby being played at the same time in NZ.

Last Week

Bench
The AFL will get about $27m pa more in their deal with an extra game, the financial value of the deals are pretty similar.

But at what cost? Who gives a shit about the money compared to the AFL. I'm well aware of the differences in the sports regarding an extra hour broadcasting, more ad opportunities, a ninth game, etc etc. But they have control of their schedule, half the Thursday night matches, no stupid 6pm Friday game that no one wants, a day time GF, no Origin or international scene, no Nines, etc etc

Other than control of the schedule, we have gained NOTHING from this deal other than more cash. The amount of which is debateable as to how good it is.

This deal is a failure and has in no way given the fans or clubs anything. Especially seeing as we were told that we'd have more FTA coverage than every before.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
The 6pm time slot is a joke nobody would be able to attend to it and it would attract bugger all ratings, and the daylight savings time that makes it even more complicated. Can't believe they agreed to that.

At least all games will be broadcast live at last which destroys the last deal on that merit alone.

DiegoNT

First Grade
For us watching in the NT, the friday game will kick off at 4:30 local time during daylight savings time

Last Week

Bench
It's no different to Gyngell moving the Sunday game to 4pm so it's live, the NRL were never going to convince broadcasters to pay the game millions more for rights they already owned.

Not having to wait until 2018 for all games live, control of schedule, simulcasting, an NRL channel and 4 FTA games in the final 5 rds are all positives that could just as easily been put off for two years.

It's a pass mark imo, but with all the beat up we've been put through about it it's still a bit disappointing.

I hate doing this, but we doubled out previous deal with our current deal and all we gave up was a night GF and a few Thursday night games. We lost F&L rights and gained more control of the schedule and still doubled it.

I hate doing a Perth Red more but, the AFL have given up about 12 Thursday games a year and have more than doubled their deal.

What the f**k happened here?!!

insert.pause

First Grade
But at what cost? Who gives a shit about the money compared to the AFL. I'm well aware of the differences in the sports regarding an extra hour broadcasting, more ad opportunities, a ninth game, etc etc. But they have control of their schedule, half the Thursday night matches, no stupid 6pm Friday game that no one wants, a day time GF, no Origin or international scene, no Nines, etc etc

Other than control of the schedule, we have gained NOTHING from this deal other than more cash. The amount of which is debateable as to how good it is.

This deal is a failure and has in no way given the fans or clubs anything. Especially seeing as we were told that we'd have more FTA coverage than every before.

nothing is an exaggeration, control of schedule, simulcasting, nrl channel, 4 fta games in final 5rds, 2bn. Friday 6pm is the cost, I don't like it but I can live with it.

jargan83

Coach
For us watching in the NT, the friday game will kick off at 4:30 local time during daylight savings time

3pm here in the west during DLS, but face it we're not the target audience for it are we.

It just strikes me as a stupid timeslot whether they play it in Sydney, Brisbane (where it's not legal) or regionally.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Probably a year ago everybody would have been satisfied with $1.9 Billion, but given what has happened over the past few months the final outcome is disappointing...

The same old tired broadcasters are still there broadcasting away and I'm still waiting on the punchline in respect of the Friday 6pm game....

The upside is that a shed load of money is coming into the game so lets hope it can be spent wisely and create some ongoing legacies ( yes I am thinking this does involve expansion)

Quidgybo

Bench
Conspiracy theorist in me says 6pm Friday exists to avoid clashing with AFL games

Conspiracy theorist in me says 6pm Friday is so Fox can get as many TVs as possible already tuned to their channel ahead of the 8pm game so they maximize their cut of the simulcast ratings split. Same ratings split impact with the 2pm Sunday game leading into the 4pm simulcast.

Leigh.

Latest posts