What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Jeffmister

Juniors
I agree. And an advantage for Fox in this would have been that they could have had a Super Sunday aswell with the Monday game being moved to Sunday night. They would have had to simulcast 2 Sunday games with Nine but could have three games building up to the Matty Johns show at about 8:30pm on Sunday night.
Exactly. It would mean the Thursday & Friday night games are able to feature as standalone primetime matches for FTA viewers while Fox viewers get a tripleheader on Saturday and Sunday + a Sunday doubleheader on Nine.

I know it's only one change from what's offered through the new rights agreement but the NRL, broadcasters and supporters would have all benefited from it.

How is it an unfair turnaround advantage for the Warriors when most of the time it would be only every second week, and the travel the Warriors do more than negates that.

Ask the Melbourne Storm. I'm sure Craig Bellamy would love to have every 2nd game at the same day, at the same time at the same venue.

reanimate

Bench
The only way Friday 6pm would be acceptable is if the NRL was planning on going in hard in NZ- I.e. a new team, more NZ friendly timeslots, more corporate support and look to gain ground on Union there. If it's just some shit timeslot to appease News then there's absolutely no point to it.

undertaker

Coach
The 6pm Friday game timeslot just seems ridiculous. Do Foxtel really think they will get big ratings with that game? I think the reverse will happen as either people will be commuting home, or watching it at a pub/club if they do. Seems a dumb expense to pay solely to get a lead in for the 8pm game.

I've already had my say how it will negatively effect the competition "fairness" between teams, and the impact on crowds already. One thing though, it may mean I downgrade my memberships for 2017. Why pay for top notch membership levels when you get treated like a 3rd world citizen and may have to miss games you would otherwise have been able to make just so Foxtel can have a game to televise at 6.00pm on a Friday?

Bottom line: could you imagine AFL, Super Rugby or A-League agreeing to regular 6pm Friday matches?

Dave Smith sets up the match-winning play only for Grant to fumble it over the line.

Time for Grant to be shafted to AFL.

undertaker

Coach
The AFL will get about $27m pa more in their deal with an extra game, the financial value of the deals are pretty similar.

Yeah, but at whose expense? The fans, yet again get shafted! Just when we got rid of that abomination that is Monday Night Football, the ARLC agrees to replace that with an even more family unfriendly timeslot.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Ok i see that big footy they are repeating Wilson lines of a renegotiation taking place making the deal 2.1b over 7 years. This means 1 of 2 things of true

1. $1.8b for the 5 years, with $300m added to the currently existing tv deal for 16/17. That means that the $300m is added onto the $224m the game was already recieving

2. $1.8b for the 5 years with the last 2 years of the current deal wiped clean( -$224 per year) and renegotiated at $300m over the 2 years- a huge f**k up if that's occurred.

Can anyone comfirm if either is true
There's no way they did #2. The extra 300m doesn't exist, the money stays the same for the next two years then jumps in 2018. So it works out around 2.2b over 7yrs.

flamin

Juniors
Ok i see that big footy they are repeating Wilson lines of a renegotiation taking place making the deal 2.1b over 7 years. This means 1 of 2 things of true

1. $1.8b for the 5 years, with $300m added to the currently existing tv deal for 16/17. That means that the $300m is added onto the $224m the game was already recieving

2. $1.8b for the 5 years with the last 2 years of the current deal wiped clean( -$224 per year) and renegotiated at $300m over the 2 years- a huge f**k up if that's occurred.

Can anyone comfirm if either is true

Neither make sense.

1. We'd be receiving more per year in the first 2 years than the rest of the contract.

2. We'd be receiving less for those 2 years than we are now.

I'd say option 3 is more likely:

3. Wilson doesn't know what she's talking about.

flamin

Juniors
The only way Friday 6pm would be acceptable is if the NRL was planning on going in hard in NZ- I.e. a new team, more NZ friendly timeslots, more corporate support and look to gain ground on Union there. If it's just some shit timeslot to appease News then there's absolutely no point to it.
Yep. We better be hitting NZ hard for this 6pm slot to work. A 2nd NZ team is a must at some point in this contract period.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Union has regular 5:30pm games which are played in NZ

Not in Australia though. And the Warriors will be playing their "6pm' matches at 8pm (factoring in time difference). The Australian Super Rugby franchise home crowds on Friday at 6pm would be a disaster.

At the moment, the Warriors (due to time difference) and Storm are the two running candidates to host Friday 6pm matches. If the Storm start to kick up a stink due to poor attendances, it will be interesting to see who the buck stops with and will have to take on the remaining matches in that timeslot. With Brisbane ruled out due to transport arrangements re:Suncorp Stadium, that only leaves Nth Qld/Gold Coast/Newcastle/Canberra/St George (matches played in Wollongong), of which I can see all those teams being lucky to reach 50% capacity.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Knowing the location of the strong RL clubs in Melbourne, and where much of the support for Rugby League is drawn from, I would say that 6pm games are just as unfriendly in Melbourne as anywhere else. Inner city Melbourne is not exactly a hotbed of support for the game.

It only works for NZ, but that accounts for only half of the 24 games. I would have serious doubts that any planning at all has gone into a second NZ team, seeing as this option has only been on the table for a few weeks.

Billythekid

First Grade
It's a shit deal and worst of all it's a rushed deal. It's not end of the world type stuff, we're pretty cashed up and the coverage is much better than we've had in the past. It just sucks because we could have done so much more (that plus the AFL have done far better).

DiegoNT

First Grade
Neither make sense.

1. We'd be receiving more per year in the first 2 years than the rest of the contract.

2. We'd be receiving less for those 2 years than we are now.

I'd say option 3 is more likely:

3. Wilson doesn't know what she's talking about.

1 could make a little sense. 1.9 billion (including estimated international rights) ÷5 = $380m per year.
224m + 150m= $374m per year
So it roughly equates to the same per year plus you get the added advantage of having those changes made straight away, meaning you can trumpet having all games live from 2016 making fox attractive to new subscribers while keeping your current subscribers extremely happy ( lets admit it, all of us who currently have fox like this part of the deal).
Choice 2. Would be extremely stupid, but with the people in charge anything is possible
choice 3. Looks more likely, she has a history of having no idea

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Thing is, how can it be applied to the Broncos? Suncorp Stadium management came out earlier this month and said, legally, the ground cannot be used for a game kicking off at 6pm on a Friday. To refresh people's minds -

As I said in my previous post, the Storm are the only other team that has been mentioned as a testing ground for hosting Friday 6pm matches, due to AAMI Park being centrally located relative to the Melbourne CBD (which is the advantage the AFL has with MCG and Etihad compared to the NRL with Allianz and ANZ Stadium in Sydney). However, if Craig Bellamy et al. kick up a stink due to poor attendances, it will be interesting to see what happens or who will then take on the remaining Friday 6pm matches.

Nth Qld/Gold Coast/Newcastle/Canberra/St George (for matches played in Wollongong) are the only other candidates. I don't believe any of those teams home stadiums are closely located relative to the main CBD in those areas, let alone teams such as the Cowboys have most of their fans from outside Townsville (which rules out all the out of towners who normally travel to their matches), the Sydney contingent of the Dragons fans are going to be on the outer to make it to matches in Wollongong....this is simply not going to end well.

And that's just the attendances (which in those places will be lucky to be 30-50% capacity). Fox are kidding themselves if they think most of the tradies and other like occupations that have a high contingent of NRL fans are going to head straight to the pub after work to watch the match at 6pm. But Fox's logic of having the 6pm game as a lead-in match to the Ch9 Friday night game is plain stupid. It works on Sunday because the Sunday 2pm match is not in primetime and not going up against high rating programs on FTA; Friday has the FTA news bulletins, which most people watching tv at the time will be tuned into. Fox would've got higher ratings for a Sunday evening match.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Is there a solid reason Sydney clubs should be spared the Friday 6pm game over other Australian locations?

Hard to see why they and their supporters should not share in the pain.

Kirky

Juniors
This really is a mixed bag. I think the cash that this deal will inject into the clubs and (hopefully) development will do great things.

But personally the practical details of this deal aren't great for me. I love Monday night football. Nothing makes a slow work Monday go quicker than the knowledge that afterwards i'll be able to order a pizza, pop a beer and watch a game of footy in the comfort of my own home. There's no way i'll be able to make it home in time on a Friday night for a 6:00pm game. I'll miss most of the first half at a minimum. Monday night was bad for crowds, but I can't imagine how this will be any better for anyone other than the Warriors. And God help us if the Warriors have a year at the bottom of the ladder and we're stuck watching them every other Friday night.

I'm also concerned that after years of requesting FNF games, the NRL will now award a few to Canberra....at 6:00pm. This city simply isn't capable of supporting the traffic of a 6:00pm game and regular commuters. It would be a nightmare.

But I digress. I also think people need to understand something about humans; we're naturally competitive and hate hypocrisy. There's an experiment conducted with apes whereby an ape presses a button and he gets a grape. Amazing! a grape! The ape will accept and appreciate this reward for weeks. But if you put another ape in an adjacent glass cell, and this second ape gets two grapes for pressing the button, suddenly the first ape doesn't want his one grape. Literally won't even eat it. What was once amazing and accepted is now, in direct comparison with another, unacceptable. So while I think comparisons with the AFL deal aren't helping the discussion of this deal on its own merits, I understand that we on a DNA level can't help but be a bit furious that they've been gifted more grapes. I feel like this was supposed to be our time, with no first and last rights left, and an independent commission calling the shots, but again we've been duded with less f*cking grapes than we deserve.

applesauce

Bench
ARLC pulled the trigger before they had the leverage. Smiths plan was surely to wait at least another 12 months and get at least this monetary value with the FTA component staying at 4games and the only the PTV addition a Sunday early arvo or night game.

insert.pause

First Grade
like I said, Newscorp will pay Nine to simulcast for the next two years
News Corp stumps up extra $40m to bring NRL broadcast rights forward

News Corp is understood to have sweetened the new NRL broadcast rights deal by agreeing to pay Nine Entertainment Co about $20 million annually for the next two years to gain simulcast rights to three additional matches per week.

The move gives News' pay-television operator Fox Sports immediate access to the broadcast of the three NRL games Nine has previously held on an exclusive basis, meaning all eight games per round will be shown live on Fox Sports for the first time.

News and Nine have struck to deal in a move that will see the gradual roll-out of many of the terms of the new $1.8 billion five-year broadcast deal that will begin from 2018 onwards - a deal that will be officially unveiled in Sydney on Friday afternoon.

About $1 billion of the new deal is being paid by News, which will give Fox Sports live and clean broadcast feeds for all 8 games and finals series games until the NRL grand final each year. That and the three State of Origin games will remain the exclusive property of Nine.

The new deal will change the NRL draw to introduce a 6pm game on Friday nights exclusively live on Fox Sports before a later game shown by both Nine and the pay-TV operator. Monday night football games will be cut by 2018.

Fox Sports will launch a dedicated rugby league channel in 2017 as part of the agreement.

News Corp is understood to be paying about $920 million for the Fox Sports rights over five years, from 2018 onwards, Telstra about $200 million for digital rights and Nine Entertainment Co about $625 million. Each of the three companies will share various digital rights on a non-exclusive basis.

The NRL's total income over the five years of the deal is likely to top $2 billion after it sells New Zealand and other international broadcast rights.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/n...-rights-forward-20151127-gl9j6e#ixzz3sfcicNo9
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Latest posts