What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
21.8million being spent on GWS in 2015 of which 12.8million are direct losses

21.8 * 5 years = 109million money spent on GWS alone

now is GWS adding that much to the AFL tv Deal, the answer is no.

So GCS and GWS are not bringing in the TV money the AFL thought they would.

AFL 700m over 5years
NRL 500m over 6years

5 Year AFL 1.25b = 250m annually - 40m a year on GWS and GCS
5 Year NRL 1.1b = 220m annually

6 Year AFL 2.5b 414m - 40m a year on GWS and GCS
5 Year NRL 1.95b-2b 390-400m + FOXNRL

Expansion has done little for the AFL TV deal, the NRL is closing the gap.

The NRL deal on a pound for pound basis is very good deal for our code. I don't see how you can dispute this really.

The value for them is in the ninth game, the fact is they decided to use the value of a ninth game to strengthen their long term expansion plans. They have structured their whole financial support of the comp to make this possible. Varied club grants, ticket tax on the rich clubs, getting decent money out of tv deals. It is a long term investment plan for them. The fact they continue to get more money than NRL despite the soo value and the fact NRL is the most popular game shows it has worked for them. If we had a ninth game with brisbane2 and Perth already in place maybe we would have matched them $ for $?

Yes the NRL deal on a $ for $ is good but we still missed an opportunity to leverage of the opportunity for the value of a ninth game to put into place some strategic expansion plans and to take the fight to the afl. It could be 2023 until we see the opportunity again. .

We could have had a ninth game and started our expansion strategy at a cost of around $25mill a year, maybe the tv deal would have covered all of that if we had it announced and ready to sell?

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Yes the NRL deal on a $ for $ is good but we still missed an opportunity to leverage of the opportunity for the value of a ninth game to put into place some strategic expansion plans and to take the fight to the afl. It could be 2023 until we see the opportunity again. .

We could have had a ninth game and started our expansion strategy at a cost of around $25mill a year, maybe the tv deal would have covered all of that if we had it announced and ready to sell?
Why are you obsessed with the notion that expansion and the sale of a ninth game had to be tied up on the same day as the other television contracts? There's a premium primetime slot still open (i.e. Sunday night, same slot as Origin 2 and the Grand Final), there's interest in a fourth FTA game from Nine (that's what they were prepared to sign up for), there's interest in additional teams from Nine (i.e. Brisbane), and Nine have at least $175m in their pocket that they were willing to spend on Rugby League. Combine those facts with the knowledge that there are two other FTA networks out there that haven't got sporting commitments in that slot and have expressed interest in acquiring some Rugby League content without necessarily wanting the whole lot, there is potentially a nice little bidding war still to be had.

Leigh.

Nerd

Bench
This is a long haul strategy for afl, they are quite happy to wear the losses now in the long term goal of being "Australia's" game.

It was interesting to see the NRL club chairs allegedly refuse the idea of a different level grant based on club need like the afl has, a good example why our game will always struggle to expand.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...fe5a9ddcc?sv=988a2997118e45e7ab99631b0d04e317

Strategically the AFL pumping money into GWS and the Suns is a good move to try and increase the presence of their game but the problem they are experiencing is that quite a lot of money has been spent over the last few years for virtually no gain especially concerning GWS. With the NRL Grand Final out rating the AFL version in the last 2 years it would appear that AFL has reached it's zenith. You would imagine that with their new deal they will keep burning money with GWS and the Suns for the next 6 years but what happens if over that time the outcome is the same? Lets face it they have nowhere left to expand to. Strategically the NRL is in a way better situation with Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane 2 and NZ 2 left for expansion over time.

BlueandGold

Juniors
The value for them is in the ninth game, the fact is they decided to use the value of a ninth game to strengthen their long term expansion plans. They have structured their whole financial support of the comp to make this possible. Varied club grants, ticket tax on the rich clubs, getting decent money out of tv deals. It is a long term investment plan for them. The fact they continue to get more money than NRL despite the soo value and the fact NRL is the most popular game shows it has worked for them. If we had a ninth game with brisbane2 and Perth already in place maybe we would have matched them $ for $?

Your also conveniently ignoring the AFL leveraged a 6th year to get the increase on the Tv deal.

The NRL did not do this and still closed the gap.

Vindicated

Juniors
I see the Friday 6pm slot as a last ditch effort by Fox to save MNF. They know it will be terrible for both crowds and ratings. 6pm Friday will be held a few times before it effectively kills itself. The NRL will agree to let Fox move the game back to Monday because a game with a small crowd but huge ratings is far better than a game with a small crowd and small ratings. In short, Monday Night Football will be back probably halfway through 2017 or at the latest at the start of 2018. Even if the 6pm game survives, which is very unlikely in my view, MNF will return when the NRL expands to 18 teams.

undertaker

Coach
I see the Friday 6pm slot as a last ditch effort by Fox to save MNF. They know it will be terrible for both crowds and ratings. 6pm Friday will be held a few times before it effectively kills itself. The NRL will agree to let Fox move the game back to Monday because a game with a small crowd but huge ratings is far better than a game with a small crowd and small ratings. In short, Monday Night Football will be back probably halfway through 2017 or at the latest at the start of 2018. Even if the 6pm game survives, which is very unlikely in my view, MNF will return when the NRL expands to 18 teams.

I see the Friday 6pm spot as a dummy spit from Fox and their effort to screw the game more after Dave Smith announced there would be no more MNF with Ch9's Thursday night match becoming a permanent fixture. Smith took away Fox's highest rating timeslot (closely followed by the Saturday 7:30pm match, which was also initially given to Ch9 before the recent restructuring of the FTA component of the deal).

However, once it's in and has been stipulated in the contract, it's going to be very hard to reverse Friday 6pm timeslot. It's going to be inevitable that all Australian teams who host matches in that timeslot are going to kick up an even bigger stink than they did with MNF and the inadequate compensation they were given from the NRL.

BuffaloRules

Coach
However, once it's in and has been stipulated in the contract, it's going to be very hard to reverse Friday 6pm timeslot. .

Looking at how the last contract played out I don't agree...

Nine changed the Sunday game from delay to live at the start of this year , and all parties agreed to greatly modify the last two years of the deal last week.

Once clubs. fans and media all start whinging about crowds and inconvenience, I've got a feeling this slot won't last very long ( perhaps the Warriors might hang onto hosting 4 or 5 games a year)...

Last Week

Bench

I think this will happen too. But it won't go back to Monday, I think it'll go to Sunday night.

I can see Fox's logic with this game. It's to get the lead in and get strong ratings leading into the second Friday that will be simulcast. And it'll work even forward those that don't get home on time. They'll IQ it and watch both games on delay. I see the theory, but it's still stupid.

Last Week

Bench
Why are you obsessed with the notion that expansion and the sale of a ninth game had to be tied up on the same day as the other television contracts? There's a premium primetime slot still open (i.e. Sunday night, same slot as Origin 2 and the Grand Final), there's interest in a fourth FTA game from Nine (that's what they were prepared to sign up for), there's interest in additional teams from Nine (i.e. Brisbane), and Nine have at least $175m in their pocket that they were willing to spend on Rugby League. Combine those facts with the knowledge that there are two other FTA networks out there that haven't got sporting commitments in that slot and have expressed interest in acquiring some Rugby League content without necessarily wanting the whole lot, there is potentially a nice little bidding war still to be had.

Leigh.

I'm sorry Quidg, but I struggle to see it playing out this way.

The current clubs will be pissed off if they're sharing even more money with 2 more clubs. If they're blindsided about it after they sign participation agreements, they'll lose it.

If expansion happens, it needs to be sold to the clubs that it will benefit them. Seeing as our clubs are selfish and short sighted, they'll want an immediate cash injection from it.

That brings us to the extra cash provided for a ninth game from a broadcaster. Nine and Fox seem pretty comfortable with how much they're spending. Especially nine. I can't see Nine or Fox willing to pray that much more for a ninth game that will cover costs for new clubs aswell as provide enough of a cash injection to the current clubs that will appease them. I'd love to be wrong however.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No chance of expansion until at least 2021 now this boat has sailed and likely not until 2023 at earliest. To make it worse manly has decided to move into Perth lol.

Kidding yourself if you think tv is going to stump up for another game mid contract. Our best hope was a sweetener deal that saw fox get sat night back and nine keeping a 4th fta game on a Sunday to replace it. Maybe we wouldn't have seen such a massive drop off in the fta price if this had happened and NRL wouldn't have been left looking total gimps after heralding how lucky fans were to get a 4th fta game. Oh well such is life as RL fan.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
If the NRL get the clubs to sign off on a participant agreement based on x amount of funding and% of revenue then why would the clubs be against new teams as long as their $ wasnt affected?

siv

First Grade
If the NRL get the clubs to sign off on a participant agreement based on x amount of funding and% of revenue then why would the clubs be against new teams as long as their $ wasnt affected?

Where are the clubs going to go now ?

NRL has all the money

Broncis and Storm.will now join the in debt NRL subsidised clubs

If Penrith and Easts want to jump I cant see anyone else following

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No chance of expansion until at least 2021 now this boat has sailed and likely not until 2023 at earliest. To make it worse manly has decided to move into Perth lol.

Kidding yourself if you think tv is going to stump up for another game mid contract. Our best hope was a sweetener deal that saw fox get sat night back and nine keeping a 4th fta game on a Sunday to replace it. Maybe we wouldn't have seen such a massive drop off in the fta price if this had happened and NRL wouldn't have been left looking total gimps after heralding how lucky fans were to get a 4th fta game. Oh well such is life as RL fan.

There was speciric mention of a provision for expansion in the announcement for the nine component. I havent heard anything to contradict that so your over reacting big time

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was speciric mention of a provision for expansion in the announcement for the nine component. I havent heard anything to contradict that so your over reacting big time

The announcement was for a Potential 17th team, not a ninth game. I thought it a very strange thing for the NRL to come out with at the time but makes sense now we know they had no intention of a ninth game in this deal.

colly

Juniors

You won me over how true expansion is in the backseat.
Anyway Reddie your the only won who has/ve replied (thoughtfully) to my earlier post re 3G STREAMING, so maybe i work a post/project regarding the marginal costs to attracting tv and paytv in a mature and a greenfield markets. I could prove that costs will be lower in attracting viewership both fta and suscription in a greenfield environment. Considering that both these mediums are only interested in Australian dollars i think it's a no brainier to expend NOW to Perth and Brisbane.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Proves Channel 9 gotta steal

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...k=7d33ac08294ede127f6b4f46d901164f-1448794824

SOO has to go to tender totally separate from NRL rights, sign 2 year contracts, ARLC should shoot and produce the whole thing including commentators etc..

I reckon they could get $20M A GAME , it guarentees any tv station in the country 3 week ratings wins,

Channel 10 hasnt won a ratings week in like 10 years, they would drive the price up,

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Looking at how the last contract played out I don't agree...

Nine changed the Sunday game from delay to live at the start of this year , and all parties agreed to greatly modify the last two years of the deal last week.

Once clubs. fans and media all start whinging about crowds and inconvenience, I've got a feeling this slot won't last very long ( perhaps the Warriors might hang onto hosting 4 or 5 games a year)...

Since the last deal was signed we have had things like saturday 3pm games, sunday moved from 3pm to 4pm... some thursday games, sunday 6,30 pm at sporadic times, warriors at 12pm sunday,,, easter monday game on fox,

do you really think all these permutations were thrashed out during the rights negotiations ?

Latest posts