What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Jetka100

Juniors
Have been visiting the site for awhile but have never posted before (so be nice). My thoughts on the deal are that while there are some things I would have liked to see, such as the 4th FTA game, it is ultimately a good deal that will grow the game significantly. As much as I would love to see a big FU sent to News Ltd following the crap written in their publications over the last few months, at this current time they have the best platform and the best talent to deliver the coverage rugby league deserves. Optus or other ISPs would have been a huge risk and jump into the unknown. Imagine the damage that would have been caused if they could not deliver the seamless broadcast that Foxtel usually provides. How many less households would possibly have resulted if it wasn't on fox. You would get the diehards signing up, but the casual spectator may not have. Rugby League would have also picked a fight with the biggest news company in Australia and one of the largest in the world. We may scoff at the value of promotion in the deal from News Ltd but the alternative of constant negative coverage or indifference would have a large money value placed on it as well. NRL ran the risk of the sport being in a worse position at the start of the next negotiations. Instead, with the new media deal and the growth of the international game, NRL will only go from strength to strength.

In terms of the Friday 6pm game, I can see how it won't suit a lot of people, but for a lot of others it could be a lot better received than the Monday night game or a Sunday night game. There is normally nothing worth watching at that time of night on a Friday. It will get good traction at the pubs and clubs and for a lot of people who can finish a bit early or don't live far from work it will be great thing to watch and unwind to after a busy week. In trying to get people to the game, you have New Zealand where it will be 8pm. In Melbourne you can get the after work CBD crowd. In Canberra, it would actually be feasible with the large public sector workforce who would be lucky to be at work after 3pm on a Friday (I spent 12 years working there unfortunately). If they eventually build the stadium in the CBD it would be even better. If a lot of Warriors home games take up that time slot, most clubs would only be faced with one home game at that time slot. They could take that game to a regional centre or even to Wellington or Christchurch or they could work at some other type of promotion to get people to the ground. At the end of the day, if it wasn't working for Fox and the clubs there would be plenty of scope to move it to Sunday night or Sunday lunch time.

If someone at the start of the year said the NRL would be getting almost 2 billion for next media deal, most people here would have been over the moon. Overall it is good deal that secures the future growth of the game.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Have been visiting the site for awhile but have never posted before (so be nice). My thoughts on the deal are that while there are some things I would have liked to see, such as the 4th FTA game, it is ultimately a good deal that will grow the game significantly. As much as I would love to see a big FU sent to News Ltd following the crap written in their publications over the last few months, at this current time they have the best platform and the best talent to deliver the coverage rugby league deserves. Optus or other ISPs would have been a huge risk and jump into the unknown. Imagine the damage that would have been caused if they could not deliver the seamless broadcast that Foxtel usually provides. How many less households would possibly have resulted if it wasn't on fox. You would get the diehards signing up, but the casual spectator may not have. Rugby League would have also picked a fight with the biggest news company in Australia and one of the largest in the world. We may scoff at the value of promotion in the deal from News Ltd but the alternative of constant negative coverage or indifference would have a large money value placed on it as well. NRL ran the risk of the sport being in a worse position at the start of the next negotiations. Instead, with the new media deal and the growth of the international game, NRL will only go from strength to strength.

In terms of the Friday 6pm game, I can see how it won't suit a lot of people, but for a lot of others it could be a lot better received than the Monday night game or a Sunday night game. There is normally nothing worth watching at that time of night on a Friday. It will get good traction at the pubs and clubs and for a lot of people who can finish a bit early or don't live far from work it will be great thing to watch and unwind to after a busy week. In trying to get people to the game, you have New Zealand where it will be 8pm. In Melbourne you can get the after work CBD crowd. In Canberra, it would actually be feasible with the large public sector workforce who would be lucky to be at work after 3pm on a Friday (I spent 12 years working there unfortunately). If they eventually build the stadium in the CBD it would be even better. If a lot of Warriors home games take up that time slot, most clubs would only be faced with one home game at that time slot. They could take that game to a regional centre or even to Wellington or Christchurch or they could work at some other type of promotion to get people to the ground. At the end of the day, if it wasn't working for Fox and the clubs there would be plenty of scope to move it to Sunday night or Sunday lunch time.

If someone at the start of the year said the NRL would be getting almost 2 billion for next media deal, most people here would have been over the moon. Overall it is good deal that secures the future growth of the game.

Great first post and as for the 6pm game, some very relevant points. Clubs like the Storm, Warriors & Raiders could very well fit that slot perfectly and alleviate the issues these clubs have had with lack of FTA exposure of the past. This may be a masterstroke in that regard.

Last Week

Bench
Im not trying to be chicken little here but the whole 'we have less games than the AFL per week' is pretty moot when they have 23rds and us 26. This season there was 206 AFL games to our 201. Plus we have the Auckland 9's weekend thrown in the mix. The pay TV component seems to be similar to the AFL but its the FTA component I am a little disappointed in $$$$$ wise. Getting origin, 3 NRL games a week, finals and GF for $600 odd mil? I dunno, does anyone think they should have been paying a bit more than that? Not even taking into consideration those last 6 rounds they will be also be getting a saturday night game. I honestly feel the ARLC should have just waited a year and then hit the negotiation tables. This just all seems a little self serving by the ARLC board in shutting up the clubs to keep their jobs.

The amount of weekly hours of high ratings makes a difference.

Keeping it simplistic, AFL is on 27 hours a week with a total of 621 hours a regular season. ( I haven't taken into account split rounds etc etc.) NRL has 16 hours a week with 400 hours a year. Most importantly though is the weekly one.

We got pretty close to them despite being on the air 11 hours less than them. In regards to their FTA component, 7 can make more money back because they have more add breaks than 9 will with NRL (State of Origin seriously helps this).

Looking at it like that, a ninth game would increase the total value of our deal (more eyes watching for longer in the week).

Again, it's not that simple, but it's a brief explanation as to why their ninth game is valuable for them.

I do agree with you somewhat about the ARLC though. I am still unsatisfied with this deal, but I will learn to live with it and try to see it's advantages.

Last Week

Bench
Of course they do. They also make money off AFL, A-League, Super Rugby and all of the other sports they broadcast. The idea of a business is to make money

Yes but the ARL signed a very cheap deal with Packer. This would have enabled Packer to be a legitimate rival to Murdoch in the pay TV game in Australia. Rupert couldn't have that.

The clubs rebellion started in the boardroom of the Rupert Broncos. Ruperty took advantage of the greed of the clubs. (and they legitimately had the right to have a problem with the cheap deal that the ARL signed with Packer)

The merger was done because it was costing both sides way too much money. If SL had of kept going, it would have taken News an age to recoup the money spent on SL through Foxtel.

Jetka100

Juniors
Why can't the SFS host the 6pm game and get the 'after work crowd'?

Unfortunately, I don't think the location of SFS would suit this timeslot in a city like Sydney. Having lived recently in Melbourne, it is amazing the difference the location of the stadium in relation to the CBD can make to the game day experience. Attending a game would quite often involve lunch or dinner prior to the game or dinner or drinks after the game. The whole public transport system basically feeds into the CBD and the stadiums. To be honest, I think you would be better off with a game at Pirtek Stadium to at least tap into the Parramatta CBD.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Unfortunately, I don't think the location of SFS would suit this timeslot in a city like Sydney. Having lived recently in Melbourne, it is amazing the difference the location of the stadium in relation to the CBD can make to the game day experience. Attending a game would quite often involve lunch or dinner prior to the game or dinner or drinks after the game. The whole public transport system basically feeds into the CBD and the stadiums. To be honest, I think you would be better off with a game at Pirtek Stadium to at least tap into the Parramatta CBD.

Thanks for the geography lesson, but I live in Melbourne and have done for many years. None of what you say is a strong argument as to why Melbourne, or any other Australian city should be inflicted with the 6pm slot so Sydney can be spared.

AAMI Park may be centrally located, but Melbourne is equally sprawling as Sydney and Storm members travel from as far as Geelong, Frankston, Sunbury etc to attend matches. It is not inner urban types that make up the majority of support for the Storm. Like most footy clubs, they are drawn from middle and working classes spread across the suburbs.

Sydney fans are not some special breed that needs to be looked after with tender care. They pay the same membership prices as the rest of us, and their clubs need to share in the pain of what the NRL has negotiated.

I would suggest any non NZ matches for this slot are spread equally across ALL Australian clubs.

beave

Coach
The only place 6pm Oz time works is NZ. Every other place in Oz will all have major issues. 1300Smiles will be an absolute schamozzle if NQ have to do one. There is minimal public transport as most people drive or get driven, that 5-6pm rush to get to the stadium will be a nightmare. Same with Canberra and Newy. And don't forget in the earlier rds, 6pm sydney time will be 5pm QLD time. Good luck getting a crowd to those games. I don't give a f**k what spin people put on it, other than NZ, this 6pm is atrocious for everyone involved. I give it one maybe 2 years and there will have to be a big re-think and adjustment. Why the ARLC allowed this, is my major gripe with the current deal and the fact it will be lumped on the regional clubs only in Oz, going by the reporting that for some reason it will 'suit the QLD teams' is a comment that I think has had no actual proper thought.

Jetka100

Juniors
Thanks for the geography lesson, but I live in Melbourne and have done for many years. None of what you say is a strong argument as to why Melbourne, or any other Australian city should be inflicted with the 6pm slot so Sydney can be spared.

AAMI Park may be centrally located, but Melbourne is equally sprawling as Sydney and Storm members travel from as far as Geelong, Frankston, Sunbury etc to attend matches. It is not inner urban types that make up the majority of support for the Storm. Like most footy clubs, they are drawn from middle and working classes spread across the suburbs.

Sydney fans are not some special breed that needs to be looked after with tender care. They pay the same membership prices as the rest of us, and their clubs need to share in the pain of what the NRL has negotiated.

I would suggest any non NZ matches for this slot are spread equally across ALL Australian clubs.

I really couldn't care about Sydney clubs to be honest, but SFS would be a terrible location. I just hate seeing NRL games being played in front of a few thousand people. I don't think anyone is arguing for Melbourne to bear the brunt of the 6pm games, but it would be a better fit than the SFS. Like I stated previously, other NRL clubs could look at taking there 6pm home game to another NZ city or a regional town if that suits them better. A club should be able to sell a Friday 6pm game just as well as a MOnday night game.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
So clubs now have to sell home games to accomodate the 6pm game? These suggestions are getting more outrageous by the hour.

Nothing will upset club members than the moving of home games, particularly in one club towns when it is the only opportunity to see your side. The reason you become a member is to see your team us much as possible.

If you don't like games played in front of a few thousand then don't watch Melbourne games played at that time, because that is what you will get. It is terrible for the city, just as it is terrible for the SFS, Manly, Penrith, Newcastle, Townsville or any other bloody location. No amount of willing otherwise will change this fact.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Some of the meltdowns on the Crowd Thread when this Friday 6pm game comes in are going to be epic..

Also I wonder how long it will take some of our favourite Telegraph journos with short memories to start attacking the NRL for the "ridiculous decision" to introduce this time slot...

undertaker

Coach
Also I wonder how long it will take some of our favourite Telegraph journos with short memories to start attacking the NRL for the "ridiculous decision" to introduce this time slot...

Leading from the pack...

phil-rothfield.jpg

Johnny88

Juniors
Patrick Delaney told triple m rush hour that the Friday telecast will start at 5pm he also said the ch9 game has no marks (clean feed) no ads, mentioned that they can have there own graphics and commentary on the channel 9 games. It is a option.

He also goes on to say the tv deal was done between Sunday and Thursday and it needed to be done before the 2016 draw or it wouldn't happen, also says essentially its a 7 year deal.
Explain MNF they had great ratings but bad crowds and they are happy to give up on it.
EPL talk he said they bid 40mill for the rights but missed out, there new focus is Aussie sporting rights like A league NRL.
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/shows/rush-hour/podcast/

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
6pm Friday game will.just help sell.iQ units

People will record the game and watch it after they get home over dinner

But one venue that can handle the 6pm timeslot is NSO

Cletus

First Grade
The only place 6pm Oz time works is NZ. Every other place in Oz will all have major issues. 1300Smiles will be an absolute schamozzle if NQ have to do one. There is minimal public transport as most people drive or get driven, that 5-6pm rush to get to the stadium will be a nightmare. Same with Canberra and Newy. And don't forget in the earlier rds, 6pm sydney time will be 5pm QLD time. Good luck getting a crowd to those games. I don't give a f**k what spin people put on it, other than NZ, this 6pm is atrocious for everyone involved. I give it one maybe 2 years and there will have to be a big re-think and adjustment. Why the ARLC allowed this, is my major gripe with the current deal and the fact it will be lumped on the regional clubs only in Oz, going by the reporting that for some reason it will 'suit the QLD teams' is a comment that I think has had no actual proper thought.

It would work in regional towns e.g. Bathurst, Dubbo, Grafton etc. If they had 12 games in NZ and 12 in the country it would work, or just in NZ. But yeah it's not going to work in any sort of major city.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm worried if they put all the nz games on Friday 6pm what will happen to there crowds. Going up against union in nz seems like suicide for the club. Maybe they get a grant to offset those losses. I suppose we need to see the reaction from supporters in if they go to games.

Latest posts