What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
Forget about televising the trial matches, what about those 2hrs of RL programming per night that was supposed to take place on Ch9's digital channels in the current NRL tv deal back in 2013? (3 years later, and still nothing) I mean, what's so hard showing a replay for matches during the week, or matches from years gone by, or excerpts from the Thursday/Sunday Footy Shows?

the answer to that has been posted before http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=9338142#post9338142

colly

Juniors
I know Red will say naming rights, but then maybe NZ rights come in at 200 mil then it's NRL all the way. ie 2 bill over 5 years equals 200 per year clearly better than AFL.
This i wrote to Roy Maters SMH 12./1/2016

"nd on a different' we prefer AFL' comparing the 2 deals the NRL comes out with MOAR $$$$$.
How? AFL total deal 2.5 billion LESS 200 mil contra ie funny money. therefor AFL DEAL IS 2.3 BILLION over 6 years, equals 383 million dollars per year (2.3 divide 6 ) 383 million.
Have not seen any contra thus far on NRL deal which is 1.8 billion plus to come NZ rights currently (old deal) 100 million over 5 years plus other international agreements rights which is generally small, but if NZ rights rise to 175 million over 5 years then the yearly total for NRL is 395 million per year. (1.8bil plus 175 mil NZ equals 1.975 bil over 5 years equals 395 mil per year. Take that HATERS

Diesel

Referee
Is this the year that Fox is simulcasting Nine's games and if so, does this mean the first 4 or 5 rounds on 9 won't be shown on delay in QLD?

ek999

First Grade
Yeah all matches are on Fox except Origin and Grand Final. All Stars match may not be on Fox live either

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know Red will say naming rights, but then maybe NZ rights come in at 200 mil then it's NRL all the way. ie 2 bill over 5 years equals 200 per year clearly better than AFL.
This i wrote to Roy Maters SMH 12./1/2016

"nd on a different' we prefer AFL' comparing the 2 deals the NRL comes out with MOAR $$$$$.
How? AFL total deal 2.5 billion LESS 200 mil contra ie funny money. therefor AFL DEAL IS 2.3 BILLION over 6 years, equals 383 million dollars per year (2.3 divide 6 ) 383 million.
Have not seen any contra thus far on NRL deal which is 1.8 billion plus to come NZ rights currently (old deal) 100 million over 5 years plus other international agreements rights which is generally small, but if NZ rights rise to 175 million over 5 years then the yearly total for NRL is 395 million per year. (1.8bil plus 175 mil NZ equals 1.975 bil over 5 years equals 395 mil per year. Take that HATERS

Naming rights and we don't know how much contra is involved in NRL deal. Strange they want to keep this quiet? The questions is why despite being the most popular domestic code on tv and having three massive event games more does NRL still get less than afl from Australian media? Some would claim it is due to their ni th game and amount of to adds.

Ninth game, well that's our own stupid fault for not getting arses into gear and having a ninth game to sell
Tv adds fair call for fta but little value for pay to which is subscription driven.

Many seem happy to keep accepting less than afl gets so ho hum. Clubs got their money, Grant not only kept his position but strengthened it and to got what it wanted so all is well.

Last edited:

BlueandGold

Juniors
NZRL could benefit from deal between Sky TV and NRL, says ARLC boss John Grant

New Zealand Rugby League could be the beneficiary of a broadcasting deal between the NRL and Sky TV.
Previously almost powerless in its dealings with Sky TV, the NZRL now has the weight of the NRL behind it in negotiating a contract with the network.
While reluctant to go into details, Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant says the commission is working with the NZRL on a joint approach to Sky to maximise potential broadcasting returns for the national body.
"It's all in the mill in the moment," Grant said.
"So I don't want to say too much about it, other than we're going to work very closely with New Zealand Rugby League, to maximise the value of the rights."The NZRL's deal with Sky TV expired at the end of last year and it is now looking seal a short-term contract to take the sport through to 2018.

The NRL and NZRL previously negotiated separately with Sky TV, but due to the small number of tests played by the Kiwis each year and the lack of a premium club competition in New Zealand, the NZRL is not in a good negotiating position.

The NZRL's deal with Sky TV ran out at the end of last year and they are looking to do a new, short-term contract to take them through to 2018.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...ween-sky-tv-and-nrl-says-arlc-boss-john-grant

Diesel

Referee
Does anyone know that the 17th club that was talked about in the last to deal is on the cards anytime during the next tv deal and if a 9th game could appear at any time?

9's audience will take a huge hit since there is a simulcast on Fox and if 9 would be willing to take up the option of a 9th game or a 2nd Brisbane team at least? There's no incentive for a Fox viewer to turn over to 9 at any time and in the past they relied on RL fans being lazy, not turning the channel and staying on 9 to watch their Sunday newscast.

9 will also lose viewers on Friday night for those watching the early Friday game on Fox won't turn over

duylm

Juniors
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/breaking-news/nrl-thursday-opener-fizzles-in-tv-ratings/news-story/2932f81f072a93bcb5f1c106110d1781

NRL opener No.1 in Sydney, Brisbane

The first game of the 2016 NRL season has been a ratings success for the Nine Network despite failing to make the top 10.

Nine's coverage of the Brisbane vs Parramatta opener was the No.1 program in Sydney (273,000 viewers) and Brisbane (247,000 viewers), the only two cities where the clash was shown live.

Across all five metro markets, the NRL clash was the 11th most watched program, according to OzTAM's ratings figures.

Nine News topped OzTAM ratings leaderboard with an audience of 985,000 country.

Reality series I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here! (676,000) was eighth, while ABC drama Jack Irish (581,000) was 10th.

Nine's Director of Sport, Tom Malone, says he's thrilled with the ratings numbers for their first Thursday night game of the NRL season.

Most Watched TV Programs on Thursday:

1. Nine News (Nine) - 985,000

2. Nine News 6:30 (Nine) - 961,000

3. Seven News (Seven) - 928,000

4. Seven News/Today Tonight (Seven) - 907,000

5. ABC NEWS-EV (ABC) - 759,000

6. Home And Away (Seven) - 708,000

7. 7.30-EV Network (ABC) - 685,000

8. I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here! (Ten) - 676,000

9. A Current Affair (Nine) 675,000

10. Jack Irish-EV (ABC) - 581,000

-------------------------------

11. Thursday Night NRL Live (Nine) - 581,000

* Source OzTAM

Has our coverage actually regressed about 5 years? Only live into Sydney and Brisbane?!?! I can't even find Gem ratings, was it even shown to other states?

Latest posts