What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
being an NRL fan is like groundhog day when it comes to expansion and getting clubs stable lol.

Smith was predicting by 2025

SMITH: In 10 years time I reckon we’ll have 18 teams.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ture-of-the-game/story-fni3fbgz-1227562337800

Richo was predicting by 2018

The bigger the expansion the better it is for the TV networks. I think Western Australia deserves a side, we need another team in South-East Queensland and New Zealand is crying out for another team. The opportunities there in the next media deal are huge. I think we can make some good decisions fairly quickly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...uture-of-the-nrl/story-fnp0lyn3-1227211006949

I predict by around 2045 we might have national comp lol.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Obviously old news, but I some how missed it. This is f**kin awesome.

"FOX Sports will broadcast every game of the 2016 NRL season live, in high definition and ad free right up to the grand final."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...er-tv-experience/story-fn2mcuj6-1227623931928

We didn't miss it..

Just ended up scratching our heads that the NRL "sold" this to our friends at News Ltd for 2016-17 for the grand sum of $0.00.

Must have been all those compliments that Uncle Rupes was paying at the AFL press conference to announce their new deal..

El Diablo

Post Whore
couldn't care less if it was sold for nothing as we will be getting better coverage on Fox now than we were supposed to

Perth Red

Post Whore
didn't sell it for nothing, I am sure it was part of the price they paid for 2018 onwards. Just makes that price look even shtter when you consider what they got for it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
couldn't care less if it was sold for nothing as we will be getting better coverage on Fox now than we were supposed to

But why give it away?

Particularly to those so and so's..

Maybe every game should be on FTA for minimal money... We would love it but doesn't do much for the game..

taipan

Referee
The NRL revenue come 2018 will be more than what the AFL revenue is now under their current deal.

So the AFL can support several basket cases now yet the NRL cannot at the very least expand to a huge heartland city of 2,5 million that at the moment is represented by one team?

The risk is absolutely minimal and would only require the $12 million a year of the grant and no additional funding of the likes that the AFL is pumping into West Sydney and Gold Coast.

So $60 million for 5 years out of the $2,5 to $3 billion the game will get in that time. I reckon Nine would even pony up part of that for the chance to have 2 Brisbane teams playing each week.

Yet there is no strategy, no plan, no timetable for any expansion to occur...

The figures ATM are $1.8bn=$360m pa ,not all cash plus Sky NZ and Internationals.
16 clubs grants x$11m=$176m pa
Future fund $50m pa
Grassroots $100m pa
Total before admin/refs/dos$326m pa leaving $34m pa
Plus SOO/Finals series monies less super/insurances etc

Yes rough figures ,but hardly leaves huge sums to splash around for PR's mob and B2 at present.

it's hypothetical.If ch9 really thought expansion was an immediate goer money wise ,they would have pushed for expansion in the current deal.

The clubs need to push membership and double their numbers ,so the admin doesn't have to fork out additinional grants.That may well be part of the strategy.And I have a feeling the NRL: are fully aware of what is happening in WA re the retrenchments in the mining industries and ancillary industries.
I want a 2nd Brisbane side and Perth,but not at the expense of current NRL clubs.

Tell me Perth Red,which NRL clubs do you want axed to get your mob in?What guarantees does Perth have on ,maintaining large crowds for all NRL games,minimum memberships and long term financial backing?Many East Coasters will be looking at coming back to the east,if little work available in WA.
I have seen and heard about enough waste in fumbleball with GWS and the GC Sunburns<I don't want a repetition in the NRL>is that too much too ask?

Do we cut grassroots funding by 50% to get expansion in?After all participation was down last year for whatever reasons.
Do we p*ss off the future fund,so when the bad times hit,we are well and truly stuffed and mounted?

People are banging on about Richo's recommendations and research as being a done deal.It's up for argument with the board,some issues and matters will be taken on board others not so.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I already stated my figures were rough ,as a guideline.I am also aware there is income from other areas,such as sponsorship,merchandise etc.even the Auckland 9s.
I am not aware of the value of the contra(non cash) deal within the current $1.8bn.Nor the amount paid out to advisers on the Tv negotiations.That is also important.
There are also additional costs such as Jillaroos,junior rep teams and transport,charities,Men of League contributions,Indigenous support. just off my head and there are plenty more.
I am also aware the NRL has provide extra funds(hardly small amounts) to Titans/Newcastle/West Tigers and a loan to Dragoons.

If their is a slab of money is available and provided teams such as Perth can be 100% sure of their longevity despite what is happening in WA<then go ahead and expand

Those who want teams axed, then bring Perth and Brisbane in now

I do know PR had no qualms in wanting the Sharks relocated or axed some time back.And he wants me on side :roll:

Last edited:
The figures ATM are $1.8bn=$360m pa ,not all cash plus Sky NZ and Internationals.
16 clubs grants x$11m=$176m pa
Future fund $50m pa
Grassroots $100m pa
Total before admin/refs/dos$326m pa leaving $34m pa
Plus SOO/Finals series monies less super/insurances etc

Yes rough figures ,but hardly leaves huge sums to splash around for PR's mob and B2 at present.

it's hypothetical.If ch9 really thought expansion was an immediate goer money wise ,they would have pushed for expansion in the current deal.

The clubs need to push membership and double their numbers ,so the admin doesn't have to fork out additinional grants.That may well be part of the strategy.And I have a feeling the NRL: are fully aware of what is happening in WA re the retrenchments in the mining industries and ancillary industries.
I want a 2nd Brisbane side and Perth,but not at the expense of current NRL clubs.

Tell me Perth Red,which NRL clubs do you want axed to get your mob in?What guarantees does Perth have on ,maintaining large crowds for all NRL games,minimum memberships and long term financial backing?Many East Coasters will be looking at coming back to the east,if little work available in WA.
I have seen and heard about enough waste in fumbleball with GWS and the GC Sunburns<I don't want a repetition in the NRL>is that too much too ask?

Do we cut grassroots funding by 50% to get expansion in?After all participation was down last year for whatever reasons.
Do we p*ss off the future fund,so when the bad times hit,we are well and truly stuffed and mounted?

People are banging on about Richo's recommendations and research as being a done deal.It's up for argument with the board,some issues and matters will be taken on board others not so.
I'm not sure how much money we will get for internationals this year as the 4 Nations will be played in the UK, and I'm not sure whats the latest with us playing the Kiwis here

BuffaloRules

Coach
The other revenue includes the gates for Origin and the Final series

Even on conservative estimates, the NRL revenue come 2018 will be in excess of $500 Mil per year which is more than the AFL has now.

I'm not even pushing for Perth but surely there is enough money to fund another $11-12 Mil per year for a low risk 2nd Brisbane side, even taking into account all of the other things you have mentioned.

Gyngell left the door open that Nine would consider more TV money if they put a 2nd side in Brisbane which I assume was written into the contract which makes it even less of a risk.

Put Brisbane 2 in come 2018 and work towards the 18th team 2023 ( my preference would be Perth but NZ 2 would be OK as well..)

Expanding one at a time might be more palatable for the established clubs to accept.

taipan

Referee
I look at it this way mate,and TBH Perth or Brisbane 2 or NZ whoever eventually gets in is OK by me.

From what I have gleaned the NRL made about $50m profit in 2013,and $49.9m in 2014.They in fact lost money in 2012 under Gallop's tenure.I can only work on what I believe could be in the bank now.
So they started 2015 with $50m ,then the had to prop up the Titans<Newcastle and West Tigers.What they got and are still receiving I have NFI,but assume it's not peanuts.

Then the Dragoons were running short of cash and they went cap in hand for a $m or two .
So with all the incomings and outgoings,there would be X amount left over in the kitty.

Is that enough to commit now for expansion,or is it best to wait another year or so ,and accumulate more,get these weak clubs up to scratch? Or is it best to say stuff it splash the cash and get caught once again financially embarrassed?

NB you will note I had already mentioned SOO and Finals revenues earlier.

The other point players will be pushing for bigger increases meaning also more super contributions by the NRL.Every dipstick wants his share of the pie.

We have been screwed for ages with grounds ,because the code had no money until lately.Look at many of the Sydney local grounds 20th century stuff.They really got Govt grants,because incompetents such as Gallop,did not have a lobby group to suck up to Govts.THe AFL have been doing this for years and we mug taxpayers have been paying for it.

That's why when it p*sses down rain in Sydney,due to lack of cover/facilities fans stay home.That's why we need to also boost
memberships.
Your last line makes sense to me,get B2 in.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I still believe the tv rights deal was rushed and had the NRL waited another year instead of signing late last year, Fox Sports would've been very nervous. The NRL had them by the balls, and then suddenly caved in...

In addition to the 6pm Friday kickoffs from 2017, not happy about the numerous 5-day rounds this season that were approved by the NRL, and can see the clubs complaining about it during the season.

siv

First Grade
Well the latest is that Ch9 bought the rights to televise NRL trial matches

But as you guessed it none are on Ch9

Now the ARLC need to negotiate to allow clubs to stream matches

Where is televise it OR lose it clause !!

undertaker

Coach

Forget about televising the trial matches, what about those 2hrs of RL programming per night that was supposed to take place on Ch9's digital channels in the current NRL tv deal back in 2013? (3 years later, and still nothing) I mean, what's so hard showing a replay for matches during the week, or matches from years gone by, or excerpts from the Thursday/Sunday Footy Shows?

BuffaloRules

Coach

Link please or it didn't happen.

Did this just happen in the new deal that was just finalised?

Last edited:

Latest posts