What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

insert.pause

First Grade
Tbf that is largely due to regional nsw. Metro ratings are pretty even. Doesn't matter if metro or regional generally but when you add afl TV ratings to the $ value of their large attendances and memberships they are streets ahead. Unless you can translate the extra TV audience to $'s in clubs pockets you have to question if an extra 100k viewers a weekend is better than an extra 100k fans through the gate at games?

Many would say attendances are the best indicator of the interest in the sport as takes money and effort by fans to attend as opposed to sitting on your couch half watching the TV whilst playing on your iPad. 3k people not turning up to a game and watching on TV instead adds little to TV value but is a significant loss for the game.

Last night metro afl got total of 716k across three channels shown so as can see ratings are pretty close. Big difference was there game drew 31k whilst ours only attracted 17k.

no it didn't, it got 513k metro & 182k fox, which includes regionals.

insert.pause

First Grade
And NRL got 530k metro, my point stands metro wise the two are pretty close. I'd take the very slightly smaller TV audience and rather see 31k at the Bulldogs game anyday.

How does your point stand? Both games were played at the same time!

The AFL have great crowds, but the NRL could play every game during the day and still not improve average attendance much, we have had blockbuster games on Sunday afternoons this year and still had lousy crowds, the fans aren't making a case for more day time footy when they don't show up to day time footy!

Perth Red

Post Whore
At the moment the crowds aren't showing up,anytime. NRL needs a radical rethink in how it is going to engage fans more and encourage them to support their club. Sitting there saying we get good TV figures so why bother doesn't help! Afl is getting equally good TV figures, equally good TV money yet is still avpble to attract double the fans to games. They are our benchmark. Suggestions of more Thursday night games in the next deal is lunacy if you want to grow the fanbase of the game.

elbusto

Coach
At the moment the crowds aren't showing up,anytime. NRL needs a radical rethink in how it is going to engage fans more and encourage them to support their club. Sitting there saying we get good TV figures so why bother doesn't help! Afl is getting equally good TV figures, equally good TV money yet is still avpble to attract double the fans to games. They are our benchmark. Suggestions of more Thursday night games in the next deal is lunacy if you want to grow the fanbase of the game.
The afl has always had double our crowds.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-to-control-draw/story-fniabm4i-1227447309709

Broncos TV ratings being used by Nine to push back NRL’s attempt to control draw

Chris Garry
The Sunday Mail (Qld)
July 19, 2015 12:00AM

THE Brisbane Broncos are at the centre of a television tug of war.

The Sunday Mail can reveal the Broncos, who are attracting sensational television ratings this year, are the prime reason Channel Nine is pushing back against the NRL’s attempts to control the draw.

The Broncos play their only afternoon home game today but if the NRL take draw control they will have several each season when the next broadcast deal starts in 2018.

The NRL wants to control the majority of scheduling in the next broadcast deal which will see teams featured equally across a five night roster each week, Thursday through Monday.

The Broncos celebrate a try against the Knights at Hunter Stadium. Picture by Peter Lorim

The Broncos celebrate a try against the Knights at Hunter Stadium. Picture by Peter Lorimer.

However the Broncos are a proven ratings winner for the Nine Network on Friday nights and the club would be the one most impacted by the NRL controlling the scheduling.

Brisbane’s domination of Fridays means teams such as North Queensland, Canberra, Newcastle and Melbourne are rarely featured in the slot that draws the most viewers alongside Thursday nights.

Currently, the draw is left to the Nine Network and Foxtel to fight over.

If the NRL controls scheduling they can ensure all teams are featured in the Friday night and Thursday night slots which is what club sponsors desire because their branding reaches more eye balls.

The schedule would be even until the final six rounds when the most attractive games would be slotted into the prime time free to air spots.

The NRL controlling scheduling would have mixed benefits for the Broncos.

The club is privately disappointed their two blockbuster against Melbourne in Round 26 scheduled for a Thursday night.

It could knock 10,000 people off their crowd.

However, the Broncos do present television ratings to prospective sponsors and the ratings for that Thursday game will be exceptional.

Nine, Channel Ten and Channel Seven are all negotiating for a slice of the NRL rights.

They could ask for a price reduction in order to hand over scheduling control.

One example of the disadvantage of an even allotment of Friday nights occurred in round 18.

The Canberra Raiders’ Friday night clash with Newcastle on Nine rated poorly, averaging just 403,000 viewers in capital cities.

The Broncos opening round clash with South Sydney on Thursday night attracted a capital city audience of 729,000 and more than one million viewers across Australia.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said yesterday that while ideally Brisbane would like more Sunday games there was little point fighting the networks.

“It excites me Sunday afternoon. Under daylight, dry conditions, it will be conducive to really good football,” Bennett said.

“The reality of the situation is that television has a huge amount of money involved and we can’t go back to how we used to know it with all the Sunday afternoon (games).

“There’s between five and seven games on at night across the weekend and that’s just the way it is.

“There’s nothing you can do about it.”

The Broncos will run as per program this afternoon against a Tigers team last on the ladder.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
this isn't a crowd thread

No, this is a tv rights thread which encompasses the rights regarding schedualing of fixtures...

PR, i dont agree with you on much, but here you are dead right; im sick of this excuse that "RL is a TV game". The comp does need a radical rethink and im hoping Shane Richardsons report has some good news for use.

The last contract gave us more money than RL could ever have dreamed of and it only took a few months before all the clubs became entitled brats about who gets what amount. The next contract should be about the ARLC claiming back control of its own product even if that means forgoing some cash.

Id have more faith in the ARLC deciding what is best for the game than channel 9....

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...urning-to-free-to-air-tv-20150718-gifc70.html

Seven Network keen on Saturday NRL matches returning to free to air TV

Date
July 18, 2015 - 10:00PM

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

Saturday rugby league matches could return to free-to-air television for the first time in two decades under a bold proposal from the Seven Network.

Seven is one of the many parties currently in discussions with the NRL about the next broadcast deal and is determined not to walk away from the negotiating table empty-handed.

Fairfax Media has been told the two products of particular interest are the Thursday night and Saturday timeslots. The league is considering spreading its regular-season fixtures across five nights a week, effectively ending the practice of showing two Friday night games on free-to-air - one streamed live into Sydney live and the other Brisbane.

Only a handful of competition games are currently shown on Thursday nights, but Seven wants to take them from Nine when the timeslot is permanently up for grabs.

Seven's other key objective is to break Fox Sports' Saturday stranglehold. Fox currently screens three matches back to back, usually starting with a 3pm fixture. The coverage is a strong rater for Fox and the games are bookended by pre- and post-game shows. Fox's Saturday monopoly means the only way fans can witness the action is to subscribe or to head to the footy.

But Seven's entry into the mix raises hopes that the great Saturday tradition of watching the footy on free to air could be revived. The practice was commonplace before the Super League war, with the ABC regularly broadcasting its "match of the day" on Saturdays. The only anomaly were Storm games, which were beamed live into Melbourne on free-to-air in 2002.

The current free-to-air rights holder, the Nine Network, also made its first modern-era foray into club football on Saturday afternoons before pay TV operators dominated the landscape. Finals games aside, 1996 marked the last time Nine regularly showed Saturday football.

The NRL's decision to go to market early, well before the current rights expire at the end of 2017, has had the desired effect of raising competitive tension over the product. The governing body is considering splitting up its broadcast assets, which could result in, for instance, the State of Origin series being sold separately to the NRL competition proper.

Seven declined an opportunity to comment on the developments.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
One example of the disadvantage of an even allotment of Friday nights occurred in round 18.

The Canberra Raiders’ Friday night clash with Newcastle on Nine rated poorly, averaging just 403,000 viewers in capital cities.

Game between two regional teams draws low capital city rating, what a surprise. Doesn't Nine pick the Friday game first anyway? Obviously didn't want anything to spoil their Ashes rating

CC_Roosters

First Grade

There must be some truth to this 5 nights a week garbage, every journo is peddling it now a few times a week. to me it is over saturating the code on tv while weakening crowds and memberships. No doubt the origin shceduling debacle will be allowed to continue and we won't see expansion either. If this happens forgot about any sydney stadia over 20k for the forseeable future

Seriously the only outdoor sport in the world that i know of that is so fan unfriendly and plays the majority of its games at night in winter. And looking to increase that majority. Ridiculous.

I thought the commission and david smith would be great but some of their actions are shafting the sport and fans. Would love to know who had the kpi to increase crowds and who is responsible if the goal of 20k is not met. Seems to me that was an empty promise to build good will

undertaker

Coach

From that link

But Seven's entry into the mix raises hopes that the great Saturday tradition of watching the footy on free to air could be revived. The practice was commonplace before the Super League war, with the ABC regularly broadcasting its "match of the day" on Saturdays. The only anomaly were Storm games, which were beamed live into Melbourne on free-to-air in 2002.

Huh? I wasn't aware of that. Can anyone confirm the part in bold, as I always thought games Ch9 televised into Melbourne, until only a couple of years ago, were after midnight?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
There must be some truth to this 5 nights a week garbage, every journo is peddling it now a few times a week. to me it is over saturating the code on tv while weakening crowds and memberships. No doubt the origin shceduling debacle will be allowed to continue and we won't see expansion either. If this happens forgot about any sydney stadia over 20k for the forseeable future

Seriously the only outdoor sport in the world that i know of that is so fan unfriendly and plays the majority of its games at night in winter. And looking to increase that majority. Ridiculous.

I thought the commission and david smith would be great but some of their actions are shafting the sport and fans. Would love to know who had the kpi to increase crowds and who is responsible if the goal of 20k is not met. Seems to me that was an empty promise to build good will

I could live with Thursday if it meant dropping the Monday game...

It's still an unfriendly time, but at least with the Thursday game there is the buildup with nothing before it during the week. The monday game just seems exhausted of build-up after 7 other game in the last 3 days.

But yes, 5 of 7 days is way too many. There will be no excitement as the games just become part of the background....

insert.pause

First Grade

It wasn't a promise, it was a goal, and they're failing.

The short term fix of tv cash is tempting when you have a heap of stakeholders sticking their hands out for more money, easy to see why crowds could be an afterthought, unfortunately.

I have said it before, but this year is a big one for the current administration, a lot of promises of reform have been made and it has to be meaningful, the game is stagnating atm waiting for some big decisions to be made, it's make or break time.

Last Week

Bench
Seriously cannot stand the idea of football 5 nights a week. I agree, it's too much. It's either Thursday OR Monday night. If they're insistent on another prime time match not on a Saturday, 6:30pm on Sunday nights is it.

insert.pause

First Grade
I could live with Thursday if it meant dropping the Monday game...

It's still an unfriendly time, but at least with the Thursday game there is the buildup with nothing before it during the week. The monday game just seems exhausted of build-up after 7 other game in the last 3 days.

But yes, 5 of 7 days is way too many. There will be no excitement as the games just become part of the background....

People act like it's something new, it's already happened, the first 4 rounds of 2013 were 5 nights, thurs-mon, as was round 1 last year and this year, I don't think ratings would suffer from any overexposure, particularly if there are less rounds, crowds would suffer on thursday's & sunday nights, but it's not like they get that many on friday night or sunday arvo in Sydney anyway.

Because crowds are so ordinary they aren't giving the NRL much of a hard decision, hundreds of millions more or crowd averages down a couple thousand off an already low base?

Apathetic fans are just as much to blame as the NRL for allowing TV to control the draw, they have had plenty opportunities to show they value daylight games and haven't.

Personally, I hate the Monday night game, it is devoid of excitement and atmosphere and has essentially become a choir. Thursday's I actually like, it's that early taste before a weekend of footy. Sunday nights are awful, no one wants to be at the footy or watching footy the night before the beginning of the work week.

I would like to see thurs FTA, fri FTA, sat arvo, sat 5:30, 7:30 FTA, Sun 2pm x 2, and sun 4pm FTA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.