What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bear

Referee
Don't really like spreading 8 games over 5 days, don't really like only one day game a week (particularly if it's a 4pm start before 6pm news followed by a 6:30 game. Barely a day game).

Unless they go fulltime with 3pm saturday games.

Either way, We've seen problems in this contract with having the schedule too heavily dictated by TV. I'm not sure some of the concerns are adressed by this.

Thursday is a stinker of a timeslot. Two crowd black holes each week isn't ideal.

eozsmiles

Bench
And the players have also said they won't play Origin games played only 7 days apart.

It's not enough time to back up and play at that intensity (apparently)...

Like Grant is saying ... Change it at your peril...

Imagine if every game was played that intensely. The NRL could have kick off at 10am tuesday's it would still draw a crowd.

Game on 5 days of the week? How stupid is that. You guarantee some games will have very crap crowds. Also how do you schedule teams to give them a decent turn around time week in week out? How do you factor Origin into that equation?

Also if that story's reports about Friday nights is true, I can see the drop in ratings for Nine's Friday Night Football. People outside of Qld (and possibly Victoria) will not want to have the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Storm every Friday night on their screens. Also can you imagine how upset many clubs will be if those 4 teams named get Friday games just about every week whilst they are shunted weekdays dependent on the round? How does that not give those teams an on field advantage in training and recovery alone?

To me the basis of this story sound like they were written by the FTA Networks.

eozsmiles

Bench
Roy Masters is writing that channel 10 will be picking up a game in the next deal .....assuming their merger with fox goes ahead. The way he spins it is that 9 will want to show a qld/storm game on Friday, and 10 will want a blockbuster for Thursday. This means that the usual suspects (raiders,sharks, warriors) will still struggle for prime time FTA coverage. Unless the NRL take full control of the draw, which might mean 10 lose some interest, knowing they might get stiffed with dud games for their very expensive time slot. I'm not sure too many fans would want too many members of the channel 10 board getting involved in the game haha

Perth Red

Post Whore
No consideration of a ninth game or the devaluing of that model to fox sports. They would haemorrhage subscribers if they only had games on a Saturday and Monday and there was 4 fta games on Thursday, Friday and sun

alien

Referee
The NRL's next TV deal, to begin in 2018, will be the last contract under which viewers will be able to see all games on free-to-air and pay TV, before some games are streamed exclusively on the internet, via mega-rich overseas interests, such as Netflix.

that sucks

The only thing by saying organisations like Netflix will get exclusive rights to some games, the anti-siphoning legislation will hamstring that approach just as much as it does Fox Sports.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Pleased to see people against the 5-day week. Killing the golden goose is not smart

Classic TV thinking disregarding overexposure. How will you look forward to something when it's on every night? Once you put someone in a position where they can miss something it becomes a habit.

insert.pause

First Grade
it already happens for 4 rounds every year.

Sunday night won't happen, already demonstrated poor ratings for the slot on foxsports, the only way we get another game on FTA is Saturday night, which means it has to be simulcast, which means it has to be on Ten.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
A big factor in the NRL's negotiating has to be HD. Fox Sports has had a mortgage on that for long enough.

Everything else sounds like it's shaping up nicely. Take the television networks to the cleaners because their time is running out.

A big factor in the NRL's negotiating has to be HD. Fox Sports has had a mortgage on that for long enough.

Everything else sounds like it's shaping up nicely. Take the television networks to the cleaners because their time is running out.

As I have posted a number of times of late, part of the problem is legislative. The legislation that covers free to air broadcasting mandates that the network's "primary" channel be broadcast in Standard Definition.

As such none of the free to air networks will simulcast games on their primary networks and on another in HD as it will split their ratings, and ratings drives what they can charge for advertising. That is their financial model and as I said not even Channel 10 would do that.

The quickest way to get it change is to get the legislation changed. Otherwise the NRL won't be able to get the networks to broadcast in HD.

Perth Red

Post Whore
be nice to get the networks to broadcast in anything at the moment. No NRL in WA again as Ashes on GEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.