What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

insert.pause

First Grade
AFR pushing the old rumour Smith wants out & that's why TV deal brought forward, basically says rugby league is too feral for someone from their world, like Smith, seemed like a rubbish piece written to push the hatchet job article they printed on Saturday, must not have received to much traction.

I don't believe Smith will leave before the WC in 2017, the guy he hired to run the WC said he was sold on Smith's vision for the event, to me that was an indication he will still be around. Keep hearing hes tougher than people expect from a 'banker', but with all the crap hes copped I wouldn't blame him for looking for an exit.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Why, if the CEO was departing, would they bring it forward? How would that benefit anyone? Except maybe pump up the tyres of a departing CEO.

Surely the ARLC would say "on yer bike son" to the CEO and negotiations would continue.

insert.pause

First Grade
Doesn't sound promising, I wonder if it's because they are doing Richardson's review at the same time which means they don't have a clear idea what they are selling
Buckets leads footy fight

Rugby league’s next broad*casting deal has stalled amid a long and laboured process mired in confusion. Like the AFL, the NRL has been throwing around big aggressive numbers, but none of the broadcasters are in the same ballpark.

Even though the NRL started talks before the AFL, observers claim it has less of an idea of its objectives. Except for the commissioners, no one has been involved in a previous rights deal.

No disrespect to NRL boss Dave Smith, but we’d back Nine’s negotiator Jeff (Buckets) Browne every time in a sports rights negotiation. He even knows what clinched the 1896 Athens Olympics TV deal (apparently it involved baby oil). And we would have told Smith if we were the ones who spotted the duo together at a Sydney pub this week.

The NRL consultants are learning as they go and the commission is divided on which nights are important. They are looking for direction from the broadcasters, but they don’t want them to control the process.

Some expect the NRL to issue an official tender document within weeks as they look to inject more urgency into proceedings.

Meanwhile, the AFL has set a timetable of clinching a new deal by the 2016 grand final, which to Diary’s eyes seems a far more considered timetable.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...es-nine-to-court/story-fnab9kqj-1227467093708

taipan

Referee
I think its more the case of having more on offer than fumble ball.

SOO whether to sell it as part of the total package or to sell separately.
How and who to sell tests and rugby league 9s,part of the package or separate.
I'm sure the NRL would have a clue and offered NRL basis of 16 teams or 18 teams including Brisbane and perhaps Perth.
Fumblers don't have expansion,SOO or Internationals to consider.

If the NRL waited for Richo's investigation,they would not IMO have pushed ahead this early,but rather left it till next year.

What I understand the NRL have appointed experienced cluey media types to handle the negotiations one from the Commission.Smith no doubtt would be involved.

The biggest problem as i see it,crowds are down this year weather,monday nights etc,and taking the next step and having Thursday nights could add to the crowd problem.The NRL negotiators have to tread a lot slower than fumblers to ensure they get it, right.
They don't have a F&L clause now,so why should they care what a News journo dipstick says.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL TV rights: The $1.7 billion broadcast deal that will transform rugby league
by:phil RothfieldSports Editor-at-Large

EVERY game in every round will be shown live on television for the first time in rugby league history as part of the NRL’s soon-to-be-secured $1.7 billion broadcast deal.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal stunning new elements of ­negotiations for the richest television contract in Australian sporting ­history that is expected to include sweeping changes to match ­scheduling.
The deal would go from 2018 until the end of the 2022 season.
In the key developments:
● FOX Sports is bidding to show every match live, the same as it does in the AFL;
● THE double-game schedule on Friday nights will be scrapped, replaced by one on Thursday nights to get the stronger prime-time, free-to-air ratings. Fans will no longer have to sit up until midnight to watch a delayed telecast of the second game with more than 70 advertisements.
● THE future of Monday night football on Fox Sports is in doubt because the NRL does not want to play its rounds over five days and potentially fatigue its audiences.

Struggling clubs and elite players will be the biggest winners when annual grants are expected to increase towards $12 million for each club and $11 million for the salary cap.
This is a move that should finally get all 16 clubs onside after months of unrest and even threats by 12 non-aligned NRL clubs to refuse to sign new participation agreements and possibly lead to a breakaway.
At the moment clubs get grants of $7.8 million a year and spend $7.5 million on the salary cap.
The $4.2 million grant increase would be justified by a whopping 70 per cent jump in the broadcasting money from free-to-air, pay television and digital platforms from the current deal of $1 billion.
The superstars of the game such as Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis could expect to earn upwards of $1.5 million a season.
The biggest victory for fans will be having eight games live every weekend. The free-to-air networks are willing to agree to this because only 30 per cent of households have pay television.
The future of Monday night football is in doubt under the new negotiations because the games are so poorly attended, with an average crowd figure of only 11,250 this year.

Interestingly, during the broadcast discussions there has been no talk of expansion or extra time slots that would become available from including a second New Zealand team, a Perth club or a second Brisbane side.
That’s not to say expansion won’t happen. There will be special clauses in the new deal concerning the possibility of more content should new teams enter the competition.
One sticking point is the NRL’s wish to play an extra game on free-to-air television to get the bigger reach and audience.
This could mean Channel 10 getting one game per week from Fox Sports and Nine keeping three.
However, this would considerably reduce the money Fox Sports is prepared to pay because having only four exclusive games instead of five would affect its subscription numbers.
Would you want to sign up for Foxtel if you can get half the games for free?

The most likely broadcasters will be Channel 9, Fox Sports, Telstra and Sky TV in New Zealand, although networks Ten and Seven are still in serious discussions.
The only certainty about the State of Origin coverage is that it will remain on free-to-air and that is currently rated a more valuable product than even the grand final.
All three networks are bidding for it but it is likely to remain with the major free-to-air player, most likely Channel 9.
Under the new agreement, three games would be played on Saturdays, three on Sundays and one on Thursday and Friday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...orm-rugby-league/story-fnp0lyn3-1227468567930

BuffaloRules

Coach
So there has been no talk of expansion, yet supposedly Fox is unhappy that a game a week might be lost to them and this will "considerably reduce" their offer.

Seems a pretty easy "win win" here - 2 extra teams, an extra game a week...

I also can't believe that Nine won't push for another Brisbsne team.

Bulldog Force

Referee
My idea is:

*Scrap MNF (poor crowds are costing the NRL $250,000 per year
*Scrap 2nd FNF game (looks like the Broncos will be the big losers here :lol:
*Move MNF to Sunday (instead it will be going to Thursday)

So I guess 2/3 isn't a bad start. Soon enough when this new deal gets underway the NRL will realise that TNF will be a failure too... again because people have work/school the following day, and the NRL should only be Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

flamin

Juniors
My idea is:

*Scrap MNF (poor crowds are costing the NRL $250,000 per year
*Scrap 2nd FNF game (looks like the Broncos will be the big losers here :lol:
*Move MNF to Sunday (instead it will be going to Thursday)

So I guess 2/3 isn't a bad start. Soon enough when this new deal gets underway the NRL will realise that TNF will be a failure too... again because people have work/school the following day, and the NRL should only be Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

That depends which way you look at it. It seems to me the 2nd Friday night game is going to Thursday and Monday night is going to Sunday. Regardless 3 games on Sunday would be awesome, though how would they broadcast them all live?

Incorrect

Coach
Thursday night footy could work a treat, and be better attended than Monday night footy.... BUT - it should be on the following conditions;

* Only play Thursday night at grounds close to CBD's - ie AAMI Park in Melbourne, Lang Park in Brisbane, Parramatta Stadium or SFS in Sydney. No games at suburban grounds a la Brookvale Oval, Shark park etc etc. And none at Homebush! The next point explains why
* Coupled with the first point about only playing at grounds near highly populated business precincts, kick off should be 7pm, like it is now for Monday night footy. People may be more inclined to go after work on a Thursday night if they can meet up with friends straight after work, go and grab a bite to eat and then head straight to the game for a 7pm kickoff. Full time is around 8:45 and you could be home by 9:30 (with a bit of luck granted!)
* Channel 9, or whoever show the Thursday night game could schedule a post game footy show reviewing the game just played and then previewing the rest of the round.

If they keep kick off at 7:45-8pm like they currently do for Thursday and Friday night footy, the crowds will decline rapidly I think for Thursday night footy. They will get good numbers early on but they'll start dwindling thereafter I reckon. And it's important that they mix it up and make sure different teams are represented every week so that it's not the same fans having to go every other Thursday night. Brisbane and Melbourne every 4 weeks respectively if you have to... The Tigers, Dragons and Roosters all have played home games at the SFS in the past so they could play a home game at the SFS on a Thursday night too to keep mixing it up. Souths could also play the odd game at the SFS to further mix the representation of teams getting Thursday night footy.

Most of the above won't happen, the broadcaster will no doubt demand a 7:45pm kick off
at earliest.... Pity, because if it's done right I reckon it could be a winning idea in the long term and get good numbers both in the crowd and TV ratings

Incorrect

Coach
That depends which way you look at it. It seems to me the 2nd Friday night game is going to Thursday and Monday night is going to Sunday. Regardless 3 games on Sunday would be awesome, though how would they broadcast them all live?

I suspect it would be 2pm, 4pm and 6:30pm.... With the odd Warriors home game on a Sunday replacing the 6:30pm game so you'd end up with 12pm (Auckland), 2pm and 4pm

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'd be in favor of maybe a Sunday night game. Not starting too late, mind you, maybe 6:00pm that way it's over by 8:00pm - enough time for everyone to get home early enough for work/school on Monday. The best thing about it would be that on Monday, EVERYONE can come in and talk about their teams performance on the weekend - the NRL might still need to compensate TNF host teams.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Thursday night footy could work a treat, and be better attended than Monday night footy.... BUT - it should be on the following conditions;

* Only play Thursday night at grounds close to CBD's - ie AAMI Park in Melbourne, Lang Park in Brisbane, Parramatta Stadium or SFS in Sydney. No games at suburban grounds a la Brookvale Oval, Shark park etc etc. And none at Homebush! The next point explains why
* Coupled with the first point about only playing at grounds near highly populated business precincts, kick off should be 7pm, like it is now for Monday night footy. People may be more inclined to go after work on a Thursday night if they can meet up with friends straight after work, go and grab a bite to eat and then head straight to the game for a 7pm kickoff. Full time is around 8:45 and you could be home by 9:30 (with a bit of luck granted!)
* Channel 9, or whoever show the Thursday night game could schedule a post game footy show reviewing the game just played and then previewing the rest of the round.

If they keep kick off at 7:45-8pm like they currently do for Thursday and Friday night footy, the crowds will decline rapidly I think for Thursday night footy. They will get good numbers early on but they'll start dwindling thereafter I reckon. And it's important that they mix it up and make sure different teams are represented every week so that it's not the same fans having to go every other Thursday night. Brisbane and Melbourne every 4 weeks respectively if you have to... The Tigers, Dragons and Roosters all have played home games at the SFS in the past so they could play a home game at the SFS on a Thursday night too to keep mixing it up. Souths could also play the odd game at the SFS to further mix the representation of teams getting Thursday night footy.

Most of the above won't happen, the broadcaster will no doubt demand a 7:45pm kick off
at earliest.... Pity, because if it's done right I reckon it could be a winning idea in the long term and get good numbers both in the crowd and TV ratings

The problem with that logic though is that teams like Sharks, Manly and Bulldogs won't get to host TNF games - which will be unfair in what's meant to be an equally-split system (mind you it's currently not working - just ask any team who plays the Brisbane "Friday Night Lights" Broncos.

Incorrect

Coach
The problem with that logic though is that teams like Sharks, Manly and Bulldogs won't get to host TNF games - which will be unfair in what's meant to be an equally-split system (mind you it's currently not working - just ask any team who plays the Brisbane "Friday Night Lights" Broncos.

It's never ever going to be an even split - free to air broadcasters will avoid at all costs having to schedule the Raiders for example on a Friday night. Even the Cowboys get bugger all Friday night games -only 2 so far this year both against the Boncos.

Of those 3 teams you mentioned, give them the Friday night game instead.... I don't see the issue tbh. Would Manly fans turn out in better numbers at Brookvale on a Thursday or Friday?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Probably not, but the deal with the NRL is that all teams must play a set number of MNF games now - so I assume TNF would have the same system in place.

A lot of that issue will depend on who actually makes the decision regarding match day scheduling. If it is left as under the current system, you are more than likely correct.

Let's hope the NRL have a bit more steel about them and knock the networks picking and choosing the schedule. I dare say the NRL will be better at determining the "match of the round" than the nincompoops in many of the media organisations (especially Channel 9).

papabear

Juniors
not including regionals in tv numbers is a bit of a robbery, considering the AFL have all metro teams whilst we have:-
Canberra
Newcastle
The Illawarra part of StG illa
and NQLD
all regional areas with good regional ratings and a NZ team

papabear

Juniors
Oddly enough, with TNF we are going to have football on most nights of the week for most of months of the year, imo it is a bit of overkill.

That said, 1 TNF 1 FNF 3 sat 3 sun 1 mon means nine games and two more teams.

Bring back the Perth / Brisbane Bears!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts