What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Strictly speaking g it was that fine upstanding Australian media mogul who screwed int RL when he offered English RL squillions to go FT and move to summer. Though arguably if they hadn't they would be so far behind Australia that there would be no test matches anyway!

Dont you mean Amercian?

undertaker

Coach
No, not confirmed. And the 12pm NZ game is all well and good, but that only accounts for Warriors home games. I'm sure that now the NRL are controlling the scheduling, they're going to spread around the teams in different time slots. The Warriors will host their fair share of Friday night matches. Same principal for a Perth side and their time slot.

I don't see how the Warriors will be hosting Thursday/Friday/Saturday night matches at 7:30-8pm (9:30pm-10pm NZ time). The only timeslot they will be able to host a Ch9 match in is Sunday 4pm (6pm NZ time). Nevertheless, the Warriors won't be getting many games on Ch9 anyway as they are the only team not reliant on Ch9 advertising revenue since all their home and away matches, even the ones Ch9 have broadcasted in NZ, are televised on Sky Sports in NZ.

And regarding a potential Perth team, although Saturday night and Sundays won't be issues, no way will they be hosting a game kicking off on Thursday or Friday night at 7:30-8pm (5:30-6pm Perth time). Thursday night is out of the question due to The Footy Show immediately following the football, but Friday night games for them will have to start at least at 8:30pm (6:30pm Perth time), otherwise the ground will be practically empty with people still getting home from work if the match is any earlier.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
From memory we did once host an 8pm (6pm WA) Friday kick off game but it was a bit of a nightmare for fans and took about 5000 off the gate. Value of Perth, apart from growing the game of course!, is in those late night slots on Sat and Sun when the game can kick off at a reasonable time here but be shown live late on East coast. 8pm Saturday or 6pm Sundays (AEST) I suspect would be our usual slots.

The 6pm (WAST) Saturday slot would work best for crowds here I suspect. Good for families and good for those who want to kick on for a few drinks on Sat night after the game.

Last Week

Bench
Most likely it will be Sunday 6/6:30pm (in case the comp expands to 18 teams and Perth is one of the teams, hence that timeslot becomes already convenient for their matches). And also, with Ch9 Sat night game most likely having a pre-game show (hence game kicking off around 8pm), I wouldn't be surprised if the other two Saturday games on Fox will be moved to about 4pm and 6pm respectively, which gets to my next point...

Now that MNF is canned (Thank God for that), it will be interesting to see what timeslot the 9th match will fall in if MNF is moved to Sunday evening in the current 8 games/round format. The only two slots that don't clash with others would be Saturday 2pm (if the other 3 Saturday games start at 4/6/8pm respectively) or Sunday 12pm. Sunday 12pm would work if it was either a Warriors home game or in one of the suburban Sydney grounds (e.g. Brookvale, Leichhardt) in winter, but definitely not in March/April while the weather is still warm. I don't know if Saturday 2pm will get good crowds, given the situation with people working and kids playing sport on Saturday.

Given the amount Ch9 have paid, no way would Ch9 want a Sat night that goes head-to-head with Fox unless it was a 20 team comp with 10 matches (which is still at least another decade away, as we haven't even expanded to 18 teams). Until then, Ch9 and Fox will both want to host matches that don't clash with each other, even if Fox does obtain rights to simulcast all 8 matches in the round.

12pm will not happen. No way in the world.

The idea of 4 games on Saturday, (2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm) does sound like it would work, but Saturday afternoon has always been hated by League fans to attend games. It was a gamble for us to back to Saturday afternoon for this deal.

8pm does sound rather late IMO but if we're going to do it at any time, Saturday night is the night to do it. (Must be a game in the either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne followed by a night out)

I personally hope for more Sunday afternoon football. 2 games at the same time at 4pm. One hosted by Fox, the other hosted by 9. Nine will have an exclusive game leading into their news, and Fox Sports would have three exclusive games on Sunday, culminating in the Sunday night match followed by the Matty Johns Show. (Super Sunday)

These matches would cannibalize each others ratings, yes, but that is going to happen at some point in the future as expansion comes. I'm sure the AFL have matches that are on the same time or at least overlap. They have 5 games on Saturdays.

Ultimately, it comes down to what Fox will want. I think the NRL would be ok with having another game on a Saturday. It's also possible that Nine have in the new deal that no other game can be on at the same time as one they are showing.

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
From memory we did once host an 8pm (6pm WA) Friday kick off game but it was a bit of a nightmare for fans and took about 5000 off the gate. Value of Perth, apart from growing the game of course!, is in those late night slots on Sat and Sun when the game can kick off at a reasonable time here but be shown live late on East coast. 8pm Saturday or 6pm Sundays (AEST) I suspect would be our usual slots.

The 6pm (WAST) Saturday slot would work best for crowds here I suspect. Good for families and good for those who want to kick on for a few drinks on Sat night after the game.

All well and good, but that only accounts for 12 matches a year. It can't be expected that Perth will always be playing at that time slot on those days (although, probably should for growing the product, creating consistency). There will be times where Perth will host an afternoon match, etc etc.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sucks that 9 still has the rights, but the rest sounds great...

Also, this decision to take the FTA offer before finishing the Paytv deal seems like a DSmith is looking to put Murdoch over a barrel and f*ck him in the ass. Basically, the NRL will make this contracts total from the 9 portion alone, so the ARLC can stick it out if Newsltd trys to lowball.

Fox makes so much from its monopoly of NRL, it finally seems like the NRL will be demanding their payday. (Fox has more to lose that RL if a deal cant be made....)

Whoa back there Sally, so you're saying that Perth needs specific times to get good crowds.
Let's remember that when people can't get to a Saturday arvo game because of family commitments to sport etc, or the travelling to Homebush on a Friday night in Sydney traffic.
If you want a team you will need to accept whatever is dealt to you, just like we do.
Then again if you have a team you can be smug and not give a flying f*ck what others think because you have a team, just like we do.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I don't see how the Warriors will be hosting Thursday/Friday/Saturday night matches at 7:30-8pm (9:30pm-10pm NZ time). The only timeslot they will be able to host a Ch9 match in is Sunday 4pm (6pm NZ time). Nevertheless, the Warriors won't be getting many games on Ch9 anyway as they are the only team not reliant on Ch9 advertising revenue since all their home and away matches, even the ones Ch9 have broadcasted in NZ, are televised on Sky Sports in NZ.

And regarding a potential Perth team, although Saturday night and Sundays won't be issues, no way will they be hosting a game kicking off on Thursday or Friday night at 7:30-8pm (5:30-6pm Perth time). Thursday night is out of the question due to The Footy Show immediately following the football, but Friday night games for them will have to start at least at 8:30pm (6:30pm Perth time), otherwise the ground will be practically empty with people still getting home from work if the match is any earlier.

Exactly, the Thursday game will kick off closer to 8 than 7:30 plus Fridays & Saturdays will probably be after 8 ( similar to SOO around 8:20 ). The NRL 'taking control of the schedule' might sound nice, but in reality the 4 timeslots for Ch9 will be dominated by half of the teams.

Canard

Immortal
A Pacific nations Test featuring NRL players will rate better than most think. Like State of Origin isn't just watched by the States involved

It's not like two cricket nations featuring players we only see one every few years.

Aussies will tune in to see how there club players fare and it's likely to be a good contest.

Canard

Immortal
Exactly, the Thursday game will kick off closer to 8 than 7:30 plus Fridays & Saturdays will probably be after 8 ( similar to SOO around 8:20 ). The NRL 'taking control of the schedule' might sound nice, but in reality the 4 timeslots for Ch9 will be dominated by half of the teams.

Can you explain your reasoning on this one?

chigurh

I wonder if Fox heard about the deal at the same time as everyone else. Bit of a rude shock that would be :lol:

Nice to finally have those merkins over the barrel

insert.pause

First Grade
For only $125m, or $25m a year, Foxtel can simulcast the 4 FTA games, there's no way that won't happen.

I think Nine will end up paying about $800m and foxtel will pay the same for their 4 exclusive games, plus another $125m for simulcasting, giving the NRL $1.725b total with another $100-120m from NZ & $100-120m from Telstra. I think they will nudge $2 billion.

Yep .
For those who hate Smith & co they just can't see the Forrest for the trees .

We have gone from having RL on the ground with a news ltd boot on our throat to now bending them over a barrel & deciding should They use lube or go in dry .

Smith Grant & Co have done an amazing job .

We once badly needed Fox ,now they need us far more than we need them .

insert.pause

First Grade
I wonder if Fox heard about the deal at the same time as everyone else. Bit of a rude shock that would be :lol:

Nice to finally have those merkins over the barrel

They did apparently.

According to reports Foxtel were arrogant & boyish in negotiations with the NRL, looks like the NRL have given them the finger, & with Rupert in town somebody is going to cop it delux.

chigurh

Yep .

We have gone from having RL on the ground with a news ltd boot on our throat to now bending them over a barrel & deciding should They use lube or go in dry .

Yeah, but..he's a banker.. and.. something about Benji Barba :sarcasm:

insert.pause

First Grade
Yep .

it's an unbelievable deal, no analyst predicted they would get anywhere near that from FTA, obviously Nine were very desperate to avoid it going to tender.

Graeme Samuel has his fingerprints all over it.

For only $125m, or $25m a year, Foxtel can simulcast the 4 FTA games, there's no way that won't happen.

I think Nine will end up paying about $800m and foxtel will pay the same for their 4 exclusive games, plus another $125m for simulcasting, giving the NRL $1.725b total with another $100-120m from NZ & $100-120m from Telstra. I think they will nudge $2 billion.

What exactly will telstra be bidding for? I thought they weren't bidding for anything and channel 9 will control the digital stuff.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Had to laugh that the Matty johns show last night ignored this news all together lol. I think Fox are in denial!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts