What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel

Referee
Have we been screwed over with finals on Friday night in weeks 2-3 (instead of Sunday arvo) and a night GF?

They have has the opportunity to bring in FTA sat night football for about 26 years... and have never wanted to do it...

its the lowest FTA viewing night of the week, the lowest ad revenue night...

And it could be up against another nrl game at 7.30pm...

No not up against another .
Sat .
3.30 ...fox
5.30 ...fox.

Last Week

Bench
10.jpg

A couple of the guys in here. I'm sure there's secretly a photo of David Smith on their ceiling.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, the Pacific tests are a lot of fun to watch. Players giving it their all and the result is always up in the air. Love 'em.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Disappointed we seem destined to be served up the same stale competition for the next 8 years. Same network, same commentators, same teams, probably the same clubs mismanaging finances, same crowds (oh wait will be worst)

They say they want to increase the player pool before expansion. Well start bloody well pumping the much vaunted future fund into the metro and bush grass roots before it falls on its face

Also a bit unsure how it will work with origin and one split round? Is the idea to play a half round before origin 1 and 3? and is this basically the hybrid model that bennett raised a few months ago, were origin game were 10 days apart. The way I see it they are not decreasing the shadow of origin one bit unless they bring the games closer together.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Have we been screwed over with finals on Friday night in weeks 2-3 (instead of Sunday arvo) and a night GF?

THIS x 1000

I was waiting for someone to mention this. Whatever happened to that compromise of shifting the weeks 2/3 finals from Sat night/Sunday to Friday night/Sat night in exchange for the twilight GF during 2008-12? Now that Ch9 have got their beloved night GF back, it's only fair the weeks 2/3 finals got shifted back to what they were before. Why hasn't anyone in the media mentioned anything about this?

magpie4ever

First Grade
It will be for the people of the pacific islands!

(And for people who like rugby league)!

Fine, but I don't think Australia could be classified as a pacific island.:lol:

Maybe, a pacific, indian, southern ocean and timor sea island.

Or are will just televising it back to the G8 islands of tonga and somoa?

It will be like televising an England v Indian cricket test on FTA TV on their main channel, yeah that would rate.

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
Are you sure.... remember to replace monday we need a game to go somewhere >>??

Thu - 9
Fri - 9
Sat 3.30 - Fox
Sat 5.30 - Fox
Sat 7.30 - 9
Sat 7.30 - Fox ??
Sun 2pm - Fox
Sun 4pm -9
Sun 6pm - Fox ??

Your math is a little off.

The Monday game goes to Sunday night. The second Friday game goes to Thursday night.

The issue you're talking about will arise if there's expansion.

bottle

Coach
Yeah, the Pacific tests are a lot of fun to watch. Players giving it their all and the result is always up in the air. Love 'em.

Yep, I'm a fan of em. Loved the World Cup seeing them go around, and will take any opportunity I can to watch them if they're accessible.
Lots of Grumpy Old Men thing happening in here. People need to lighten up and just enjoy what they have, could be dead tomorrow.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yep, I'm a fan of em. Loved the World Cup seeing them go around, and will take any opportunity I can to watch them if they're accessible.
Lots of Grumpy Old Men thing happening in here. People need to lighten up and just enjoy what they have, could be dead tomorrow.

I have no problem with it but seriously outside of the ironed on league fans it will not rate.

As said with Pommy v Indian cricket test, it wouldn't rate and wouldn't be considered to be placed on FTA and their are more Pommy and Indian expats in Oz than islanders. And there are more ironed on cricket fans Australia wide than league fans.

At best it will be on one of their digitial channels.

Plus I have seen better RM Cups game than the islander test match, so why not televise them.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Plus it must be accepted that the pommies f**ked over international football when it went to a summer comp. If posters can't see that than there is no hope for the mentally impaired

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I have no problem with it but seriously outside of the ironed on league fans it will not rate.

As said with Pommy v Indian cricket test, it wouldn't rate and wouldn't be considered to be placed on FTA and their are more Pommy and Indian expats in Oz than islanders. And there are more ironed on cricket fans Australia wide than league fans.

At best it will be on one of their digitial channels.

Plus I have seen better RM Cups game than the islander test match, so why not televise them.

That should not be a problem, the governing bodies should be pushing to show fringe and developing nations/competitions live on tv and other platforms. For some reason the sport is afraid to showcase itself at anything but the NRL and origin level in Australia, we should embrace every league competition and not be afraid to showcase them even if its only intended for the hardcore fan.

magpie4ever

First Grade
That should not be a problem, the governing bodies should be pushing to show fringe and developing nations/competitions live on tv and other platforms. For some reason the sport is afraid to showcase itself at anything but the NRL and origin level in Australia, we should embrace every league competition and not be afraid to showcase them even if its only intended for the hardcore fan.

Then let us campaign that the NSWRL get the NSW, RM Cups and Sydney Shield on a rival network.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plus it must be accepted that the pommies f**ked over international football when it went to a summer comp. If posters can't see that than there is no hope for the mentally impaired

Strictly speaking g it was that fine upstanding Australian media mogul who screwed int RL when he offered English RL squillions to go FT and move to summer. Though arguably if they hadn't they would be so far behind Australia that there would be no test matches anyway!

Last Week

Bench
So Sunday 6pm is confirmed. ??

I'd rather the 12 pm Auckland game

No, not confirmed. And the 12pm NZ game is all well and good, but that only accounts for Warriors home games. I'm sure that now the NRL are controlling the scheduling, they're going to spread around the teams in different time slots. The Warriors will host their fair share of Friday night matches. Same principal for a Perth side and their time slot.

undertaker

Coach
Are you sure.... remember to replace monday we need a game to go somewhere >>??

Thu - 9
Fri - 9
Sat 3.30 - Fox
Sat 5.30 - Fox
Sat 7.30 - 9
Sat 7.30 - Fox ??
Sun 2pm - Fox
Sun 4pm -9
Sun 6pm - Fox ??

Most likely it will be Sunday 6/6:30pm (in case the comp expands to 18 teams and Perth is one of the teams, hence that timeslot becomes already convenient for their matches). And also, with Ch9 Sat night game most likely having a pre-game show (hence game kicking off around 8pm), I wouldn't be surprised if the other two Saturday games on Fox will be moved to about 4pm and 6pm respectively, which gets to my next point...

Now that MNF is canned (Thank God for that), it will be interesting to see what timeslot the 9th match will fall in if MNF is moved to Sunday evening in the current 8 games/round format. The only two slots that don't clash with others would be Saturday 2pm (if the other 3 Saturday games start at 4/6/8pm respectively) or Sunday 12pm. Sunday 12pm would work if it was either a Warriors home game or in one of the suburban Sydney grounds (e.g. Brookvale, Leichhardt) in winter, but definitely not in March/April while the weather is still warm. I don't know if Saturday 2pm will get good crowds, given the situation with people working and kids playing sport on Saturday.

Given the amount Ch9 have paid, no way would Ch9 want a Sat night that goes head-to-head with Fox unless it was a 20 team comp with 10 matches (which is still at least another decade away, as we haven't even expanded to 18 teams). Until then, Ch9 and Fox will both want to host matches that don't clash with each other, even if Fox does obtain rights to simulcast all 8 matches in the round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.