What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flapper

First Grade
Surely Fetch might try to have a shot at the Pay rights, they're incredibly light on sport and they could kill Foxtel stone dead if they get it.

insert.pause

First Grade
What exactly will telstra be bidding for? I thought they weren't bidding for anything and channel 9 will control the digital stuff.

Mobile rights, Nine only get the online streaming rights for the 4 FTA games, no different to current deal with foxsports who have online streaming rights for 5 games.

applesauce

Bench
What exactly will telstra be bidding for? I thought they weren't bidding for anything and channel 9 will control the digital stuff.

They only get to simulcast it on their digital platforms (Jumpin or Stan) as part of the deal but that is not the digital mobile rights (currently DigitalPass).

So the NRL can sell it (to Telstra, Optus, iiNet etc) or keep it in house and take all the subscription fees. With John Grant on the ARLC my bet is on the latter.

Surely Fetch might try to have a shot at the Pay rights, they're incredibly light on sport and they could kill Foxtel stone dead if they get it.

iiNet just paid $2billion for TPG, don't know how liquid they would be. But you never know.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
I'm glad the game is healthy but i'm not happy that in 2022 we will still be watching 480p poor resolution with ad breaks thrown in our face at every opportunity.

People slate the crap out of foxtel but at leas they provide an excellent package when it comes to sport.

HD TV would be nice thanks channel nine but ad breaks are necessary or how would they pay this 925 million. Fox is not free.

insert.pause

First Grade
They only get to simulcast it on their digital platforms (Jumpin or Stan) as part of the deal but that is not the digital mobile rights (currently DigitalPass).

So the NRL can sell it (to Telstra, Optus, iiNet etc) or keep it in house and take all the subscription fees. With John Grant on the ARLC my bet is on the latter.

iiNet just paid $2billion for TPG, don't know how liquid they would be. But you never know.

TPG bought iiNet

TheRam

Coach
Can someone who has access to Slothfields articles please post todays 'Inside Nine’s $925m NRL score'. Seems like a good read for once.

Cheers in advance.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They did apparently.

According to reports Foxtel were arrogant & boyish in negotiations with the NRL, looks like the NRL have given them the finger, & with Rupert in town somebody is going to cop it delux.

Yeh, this strikes me as a statement to Fox saying "we could drop you and not miss a step. Lowball this offer and we give it to the ABC for nothing before you get your hands on it..."

insert.pause

First Grade
Can someone who has access to Slothfields articles please post todays 'Inside Nine?s $925m NRL score'. Seems like a good read for once.

Cheers in advance.
Not rothfield.
Channel Nine: Inside the station?s $925 million NRL score
NICK TABAKOFF BUSINESS EDITOR-AT-LARGE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AUGUST 11, 2015 12:00AM

IT was Nine Entertainment Co?s golden point moment ? but it came at a cost.

Late on Sunday evening, deep into the latest instalment of Nine?s top-rating The Voice, Nine boss David Gyngell received a personal phone call at his home in Sydney?s eastern suburbs from National Rugby League chief executive Dave Smith.

After a week of tense negotiations that went into the early hours of the morning at the Bligh Street Sydney headquarters of NRL lawyers Clayton Utz last week, Smith was calling to confirm that Nine had won the rights to broadcast the NRL on free-to-air TV until the end of the 2022 season.

Earlier on Sunday evening, Nine?s commercial director, Amanda Laing ? who many said was the real hero of the deal, through a *series of around-the-clock meetings ? personally hand-delivered Gyngell the final papers to sign at his Dover Heights home.

The phone call between Smith and Gyngell sealed a deal which will see an unprecedented $1.7m a game paid for the rights to screen four rugby league matches a week ? a far cry from rugby league?s first rights deal in 1973, in which the code?s then NSW boss struggled to make $1000 a game in selling the rights from the ABC.

It represents the first component of the NRL?s bid for $1.7 billion for its overall broadcast rights.

Gyngell last night admitted that the cost of the deal was crippling. ?It is the right deal for the company and its shareholders,? he said. ?But we?ve certainly paid for it.?

Gyngell has recently denied ongoing media speculation that he will soon depart as Nine?s CEO and therefore would not be present to see through the new rights deal.

Sports rights are increasingly crucial to networks facing splintering audiences in the new media world.

The deal will be worth $925m to the NRL if Nine retains media exclusivity on all four matches, which would be screened in prime time from Thursday to Saturday nights, and in the current 4pm Sunday timeslot. That means that Nine would effectively pay $185m a year for each of the five years of the contract.

However, if Fox Sports or some other pay TV party pays for simulcast rights to Nine?s games, the free-to-air network is likely to pay $125m less, or $800m for the rights. If the NRL is to achieve the $1.7b figure, it would need to reap $800m from the pay TV rights and online rights to all eight matches a round (including simulcasting) from Fox Sports or some other player, given the reduction in the figure Nine would pay. It could expect to reap an *additional $100m from the New Zealand TV rights.

Under the current deal that ends in 2017, Nine is paying $85 million a year in cash and $10 million a year in advertising, for a total value of $475 million over the five-year contract. Fox Sports is paying $550 million over the current five years ? $100 million a year in cash and $10 million a year in ad space.

Nine guaranteed yesterday it would pay between $325m and $450m more than the previous figure over the five years. However, it will gain extra rights ? increasing its number of live games each week from two to four. It will also receive non-exclusive digital rights to screen matches on online service ?Jump In?.

It is understood Nine is looking at having at least some games screened in high-definition through its multichannel, GEM.

The process by which Nine and the NRL reached the deal had started around May. Nine brought back on board its former network managing director, Jeff Browne ? a 30-year veteran of sports rights negotiations ? to help with talks. Two months ago, Browne was spotted by journalists attending a league judiciary hearing at the NRL?s Moore Park headquarters deep in conversation with Smith.

Initially, there had been some suggestions that a coalition of Fox Sports, Nine and Ten would jointly bid for the rights. Insiders say the NRL decided ?about a month ago? to break up the free-to-air and pay-TV rights.

Nine?s Browne was spotted having a beer with Smith at Woollahra?s Centennial Hotel in July, intensifying speculation of an imminent deal.

But it was last week where insiders say things got really serious, with the initial talks moving from a room in the Fox Entertainment Quarter to the Clayton Utz Bligh St headquarters as the need for confidentiality intensified.

While Smith and Gyngell remained key figures for the two parties, it was former Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser, now the NRL?s head of strategy and investment, and Nine?s Amanda Laing who burnt the midnight oil on finalising the deal. At the peak of last week?s talks, one marathon 20-hour session ended at 4.30am.

Lurking behind the scenes for the NRL was its commissioner and former ACCC head Graeme Samuel, who is also one of the country?s leading sports negotiators.

He was the key figure in pushing the last rights deal over the $1 billion mark, and gave advice on squeezing every last penny out of the current Nine deal. It is understood it was Samuel who pushed for the NRL to do a deal quickly with Nine, given the network?s healthy balance sheet after its sale of Ticketek.

IS LEAGUE SIDELINING ITSELF ON A FUTURE DEAL?

Nick Tabakoff Comment

THE National Rugby League believes its $925 million deal with the Nine Entertainment Co leaves it with the best possible chance of achieving its goal of making $1.7 billion-plus for the overall free-to-air, pay TV, online and international rights.

However some media analysts say the code must be careful not to overplay its hand.

Those close to the code will be focused on keeping ?competitive tension? in the bidding process. Insiders say the NRL was very keen to avoid having a single bid from a coalition of free-to-air and pay-TV operators lessening competition for the rights.

The NRL argument goes that by *hiving off the free-to-air component it was doing everything possible to ensure maximum prices be paid for both the FTA and pay-TV rights. With the NRL now having done the FTA deal early, they think they have plenty of time to nut out a lucrative pay-TV solution in a rapidly changing media environment.

There is a belief within the NRL that, with how media is consumed changing, international companies like Netflix and even Google could yet enter the fray in the two-and-a-half years before the next rights deal starts.

But some observers warn the NRL against *assuming such companies have an interest in Australian sports rights.

?Nowhere in the world has Netflix bought sports rights,? one analyst said.

Sources also suggested Fox Sports would look to reduce the amount it was prepared to pay given Nine?s increased access to live games.

Before the Nine deal was struck a succession of top media figures were *involved in negotiations. Seven Group Holdings chief executive Ryan Stokes and key executive Bruce McWilliam were in talks from the Seven end, *departed Ten chief executive Hamish McLennan and Fox Sports chief *executive Patrick Delany all held talks with the NRL about a possible deal.

One interesting component of the Nine deal is that the NRL are receiving an up-front payment which some insiders *yesterday put at as much as $20 million. It is understood this figure will be *distributed to clubs.

It is known some clubs are not as *profitable as others, and the up-front cash is seen as a key factor in winning over the NRL grassroots on the deal. Of the 16 NRL clubs, only South Sydney, Canterbury and Brisbane make a profit. Four others ? Newcastle, Gold Coast, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers ? are only surviving on NRL loans.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b718c0b0b8f9b33effb6b36d#.Vci4sGdZMuo.twitter

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hahah, that "analysis" bit is pathetic...

Its trying to say that FOX now has no incentive to bid high, and that the ARLC has f*cked up by taking this deal so early.

It is known some clubs are not as *profitable as others, and the up-front cash is seen as a key factor in winning over the NRL grassroots on the deal. Of the 16 NRL clubs, only South Sydney, Canterbury and Brisbane make a profit. Four others — Newcastle, Gold Coast, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers — are only surviving on NRL loans.

I hope the ARLC looks for something in return. I hate hearing stories about clubs getting lump sums with no obligation.

Channel nine does a much better job than Fox---and it's free.

If you think that then I worry for you. 9's coverage is not better than Fox Sports, Fox do a better job overall than 9. If you think "The Footy Show" is top notch TV then I more than worry for you. Also, it's "free" only because I don't have to pay money beyond that for a TV and electricity to watch it. However I do pay, by having to watch the game spliced up with ads during the game - my time is more important than money.

big hit!

Bench
how good is this!

essentially, anyone with a tele and an aerial can choose to watch 2 more games per week at a decent time and live. 4 games of footy per week is more than enough in a week. and 3 of them are at night, which is when i rarely to go to a game anyway. in fact, i rarely went to a game anyway because all but broncos games were generally available live.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
From everything ive read it looks to be a pretty good deal.

can someone please confirm that the NRL is yet to sell the rights for the international games and the nines? Was reading the Australian this morning and that seemed to be the case.

Meaning we are yet to see the numbers for:
Foxtel
NZ
Digital Rights
International Fixtures and Nines

Hoping Foxtel pay up and simulcast every game in HD... would be nice not to have to watch 9 at all.

Also

Whoever said that 9's coverage shits all over Foxtel is kidding themselves. 9 can only dream of having Vossy and Warren Smith as the lead commentators. add in Mondays with Matty Johns (Fletch and Hindy absolutely crack me up), On the couch with Sterlo, Matty Johns big Weekend and even the 360 shows to a lesser extent are far superior to the Thursday footy show. The only ones I used to like were boots and all and the Sunday footy show but once the old boys club canned Vossy that only left the Sunday footy show which I very rarely watch these days.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn't be surprised to see Fox go low or not bid at all. Sounds crazy I know but reality is with 50% of games live FTA games a week, no exclusive Saturday and no Monday night the amount of people who will subscribe primarily for NRL is going to be extremely low. They are going to haemorrhage subscribers end of 2017 and not much they can do to stop it regardless of how much they pay. Only hope for them is simulcast and a ninth game so they have some relevance to the NRL fan. No one is going to pay what Fox charges to watch 50% of NRL games on same days as they can be watching games on FTA imo.

Canard

Immortal
Wouldn't be surprised to see Fox go low or not bid at all. Sounds crazy I know but reality is with 50% of games live FTA games a week, no exclusive Saturday and no Monday night the amount of people who will subscribe primarily for NRL is going to be extremely low. They are going to haemorrhage subscribers end of 2017 and not much they can do to stop it regardless of how much they pay. Only hope for them is simulcast and a ninth game so they have some relevance to the NRL fan. No one is going to pay what Fox charges to watch 50% of NRL games on same days as they can be watching games on FTA imo.

What about if they had every game live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts