What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Telstra have been screwing us for years underpaying the naming rights by bundling it Into media streaming deal. Cost us around $10milla year. Happy if they are unhappy!

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Smith could give them a money tree and they would complain about having to water it.

"Privately"? Publicly, in a video on smh website, Gould congratulated Smith on the deal & praised his business acumen. Genuine or more two faced Gus?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/29253095/the-7th-tackle-with-josh-massoud-and-jim-wilson/

Found this the other day;

https://twitter.com/Navlakas/status/626705509328904192

Who cares what a scumbag who condones rape thinks?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
NRL can swing their dick all they like...

but if in 2018, fans have to subscribe to jump in, foxtel go, and nrl.com to access a full round of games, it will be shit...

bobmar28

Bench
Also add in that rugby union does not rate very well on TV compared to rugby league nor AFL. It would not matter how much money you threw at Union it would not change things.

Especially now we will have 4 live games of NRL each week. Who would want to watch union?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Seems Nine boss David Gyngell is already looking to off-load NRL matches he grabbed this week in a $925 million deal. Word is Gyngell has organised to meet new Ten CEO Paul Anderson next week. Of Nine’s four weekly matches, the most likely to be onsold would be the Saturday night game.

bobmar28

Bench
absolutely, from a $ point of view the NRL wins all hands up with this deal regardless of what Fox do, stay at home fans win as well with 4 fta live games across 4 nights. Fans who want to go to games and fans desperate for expansion, have to wait and see if any benefits role out from the deal for them.

Only real downside so far is Ch9 keep the rights and they are terrible at presenting the game. That aside it is great deal so far for NRL.

Channel Nine does a great job of broadcasting NRL. Much better than Fox.

insert.pause

First Grade
IF it's true, and it's a big if imo, perhaps this solves the foxtel issue about Saturday nights, they now share MCN with Ten, so simulcasting a Saturday game with Ten could see them in a better financial position, able to sell advertising across both FTA & STV, OR they could also choose not to show advertising at all on fox, preserving the differentiation while collecting a slice of the ad revenue from the FTA broadcast.

Seems Nine boss David Gyngell is already looking to off-load NRL matches he grabbed this week in a $925 million deal. Word is Gyngell has organised to meet new Ten CEO Paul Anderson next week. Of Nine’s four weekly matches, the most likely to be onsold would be the Saturday night game.

Not sure why ten would buy a single Saturday night game. Doesn't make much financial sense IMO. Sunday or Thursday night would be a different story though.

On another aspect, I wonder if there is any scope to move one of the less popular spots (early Saturday for example) to become a second Friday night game when daylight savings allow it to be live? Ie start one at 7pm qld time and one at 8pm nsw time (or vice versa to make it work)? Would certainly be more preferable than a dud Saturday slot.

docbrown

Coach
Ideally, if the telecast starts at 7:30pm, Thursday night matches should kick off no later than 7:45pm. The more ideal situation is to have the pre-game show starting at 7pm, with kickoff at 7:35pm. That would be the best outcome for people thinking about attending the match. I remember a couple of years ago or so, Ch9 had their Friday night pre-game shows starting at 7pm in the final rounds of the season. It all depends on whether Ch9 are prepared to do away with A Current Affair on Thursday nights.

It's not impossible but they're unlikely to bump ACA (though ppl tell me ACA is being targeted for an overhaul itself). They may do a pre-game on a digital channel -- there's almost negligible cost for that. I do agree it needs an earlier start -- essentially what 9 want are the follow through viewers -- people who get home at 5/5:30 -- turn on fat Eddie, News, ACA, the NRL game then the Footy Show. Only a small % of Game viewers follow through to FS, hence why 9 wants the end of match as close as possible to the next program start.

If I were running 9 I think to avoid the 9:30 switch off -- they'd be better off kicking off at 7:35pm -- to minimise the late tuners (people aren't idiots), extend half time to 12-15 mins -- average game length (including time off) make the anticipated match end (not including extra time) around 9:20pm at the latest -- I'd keep the Footy Show on stand by to start immediately at match, then throw to it about 30 seconds after final siren, then incorporate the Game post-match wrap-up into the FS itself. That's how you maximise the follow through.

Nine apparenlty going to sell one game to 10 ....

Chalk another one on the board. ;-)

All part of the NRL's plan.

docbrown

Coach
Not sure why ten would buy a single Saturday night game. Doesn't make much financial sense IMO. Sunday or Thursday night would be a different story though.

Lead in/lead out. Halo for part. Saturday's a wasteland, sport's one of the few things that still rates. I'd link News + NRL + a live format program (costly but less prone to recording). Don't discount Sunday.

With 9 games & 10 involved it's potentially (just approx times) Saturday 2, 4, 6, 8 or Sunday 1, 3, 5, 7 -- satisfying both F2A & Fox wishes. 12, 1 & 9 are least likely slots.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Seems Nine boss David Gyngell is already looking to off-load NRL matches he grabbed this week in a $925 million deal. Word is Gyngell has organised to meet new Ten CEO Paul Anderson next week. Of Nine?s four weekly matches, the most likely to be onsold would be the Saturday night game.

I thought this would happen; 9 are obviously trying to reduce their costs...

I am a bit concerned about the conflict of interest that could arise if 10 get the Saturday game and Fox are allowed to buy into 10; Fox could similacast the game and choose to tank the FTA broadcast to make PayTv more attractive again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts