What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Fox are suffering big time right now and are paranoid about losses to netflix. I moved house and reduced my fox coverage by 50 percent and the staff I spoke to about this nearly shat themselves. Told them I only wanted rugby league and netflix covered the rest. I enjoyed this immensely. I really did. :)

I would cancel my fox subscription without hesitation ff the NRL went off fox completely and lets be clear that's the least likely outcome in the process, like a million to one odds.

Currently I have no VoD service as Fox covers every show I want to watch but sporting wise I watch college football, NFL and NHL. I already have have NHL gamecenter which is awesome and would easily shift to a combo of Netflix/NFL gamepass/NHL and get rid of fox

insert.pause

First Grade
Both correct.

The NRL have done their homework. They know what the alternatives to Fox are and at what price those alternatives become more attractive than a Fox offer.

Meanwhile Fox know the numbers losing the NRL will have and have an idea of the NRL's financial alternatives as well. The premium is the grey area Fox are willing to pay not to risk it.

Now if the NRL's number crunching showed that would be less than an upfront Fox Sports-10 offer, there's no way they would do it on a blind dare. Their analysis clearly shows that by taking the 9 offer they'll extract a greater benefit -- more money, more F2A time, more subscription coverage & having those additional $ fund and make an irrefutable demand for expansion sides. If Fox backs out, yes the NRL might get less benefits but they'll still end up around where they would have been financially on a straight up offer.

But anyone who says Fox can get by with no NRL coverage is delusional.
Anyone who says the NRL deal will significantly affect the AFL deal is delusional.
Anyone who says Fox will gift AFL extra $$$ out of spite is delusional.
Anyone who says Fox can use more AFL content to replace the NRL loss is delusional.
Anyone who says the NRL don't know what they're doing is delusional.
I think the NRL looked at the cushy deal the AFL has with fox and asked well if they get more than us with no completely exclusive foxtel games and all local teams simulcast on FTA in WA, SA, QLD & NSW, 8 teams fans who don't have to buy foxtel to watch their games, we should be able to get just as much, if not more, for 4 games entirely exclusive on fox.

Can you imagine if the NRL had the same deal as the AFL atm, with 4 different fta games in each state each week, QLD and MEL wouldn't need foxtel at all. Yet here we are with fox whinging that half the rd each week exclusive to fox is somehow unattractive. Where was the whinging with the AFL deal? If fox are serious about boosting subscriptions they wouldn't be renewing a deal with the AFL that enables 2/3 AFL states to watch their teams every week for free. They certainly wouldn't be paying more for it!

LESStar58

Referee
I think the NRL looked at the cushy deal the AFL has with fox and asked well if they get more than us with no completely exclusive foxtel games and all local teams simulcast on FTA in WA, SA, QLD & NSW, 8 teams fans who don't have to buy foxtel to watch their games, we should be able to get just as much, if not more, for 4 games entirely exclusive on fox.

Can you imagine if the NRL had the same deal as the AFL atm, with 4 different fta games in each state each week, QLD and MEL wouldn't need foxtel at all. Yet here we are with fox whinging that half the rd each week exclusive to fox is somehow unattractive. Where was the whinging with the AFL deal? If fox are serious about boosting subscriptions they wouldn't be renewing a deal with the AFL that enables 2/3 AFL states to watch their teams every week for free. They certainly wouldn't be paying more for it!

This.

If the ARLC were smart they'd make sure that every Storm game (or at least home game) was one of those. I remember around 2002 where Nine played Storm games live and took Fox pictures but those were almost always Saturday games.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Youtube just announced that they've picked up the rights to show the Bundesliga in NZ.

Might be a bit much for the NRL to ditch Fox this deal and go with Google but this could open up the non-Aus/NZ rights to be broadcast on Youtube.

insert.pause

First Grade
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/afl-on-verge-of-signing-new-tv-deal-20150817-gj178a.html

Victorians are so arrogant and juvenile, 'If the rugby league gets 1.7 there's no way the AFL will take less'

Some idiot just rehashed the Australian article and added that they reckon the AFL will get a 1.8bn deal because the NRL deal didn't go down well with fox? Why would Foxtel be so desperate to pay overs for AFL in fear of somehow losing games to 9or 10 when they already have all games simulcast? It makes absolutely no sense, Ten is pseudo News Corp and Nine already spent a billion on league.

Last edited:

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Lol love the propaganda coming out from the news bunkers. I'm sure fox will let spite rule their negotiations, and invest more in a sport that already has a worse coverage deal for them, and has failed to drive subscriptions. Only a genius, or an afl fan, would believe this shit.

Use the http://livestream.com/nrl for all games live, free and in HD (even the 9 delayed game).

The quality of this is horrible I just can't watch it, plus all the buffering. This service is just not up to a decent standard IMO. But I guess you get what you pay for.

In comparison I signed up for a free trial of the NFL season pass to watch the 49ers game. The high definition was beautiful, there was no buffering and it didn't drop out once. The price for the full season is about $250. I would pay that for an NRL equivalent online service even though there are far less games in the NRL, but when you consider I pay about $1000 a year for fox just for rugby league pretty much, it would be worth it.

beave

Coach
NFL gamepass is top notch. Been a subscriber for 5 years now and tbh, the NRL could learn a thing or 2 from it. Yanks get jealous when they find out about it as its unavailable I believe in the US (unless you get a VPN or whatever).

insert.pause

First Grade
I loved it before they added the ads every ten minutes that load so slow that you miss a few sets before it gets back to the game.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Livestreams fantastic, and it shows how easy it it would be to setup a streaming service. I can watch the games at 720p without skipping a beat, and that's from servers half the world away. You would only need a 2-3mbps connection to stream that from an Australian server, less if its a sd stream.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Masters would be a prime candidate.

I reckon Masters would do a lot of the leg work in getting it heard, but it would need the legitimacy of someone from inside the NRL...

I reckon Gus would be perfect for the job, and it might hold his attention long enough for him to actually say something positive about the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Youtube just announced that they've picked up the rights to show the Bundesliga in NZ.

Might be a bit much for the NRL to ditch Fox this deal and go with Google but this could open up the non-Aus/NZ rights to be broadcast on Youtube.

Even just in terms of ditching Telstra and providing a decent quality news and highlights location...

Status
Not open for further replies.