What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Cletus

First Grade
Youll notice that $2b is over 6 years rather than 5....

Really, theyd be making the equivilent of the NRLs $1.7B over 5.

It's going to be hard to line up the figures until the rest of the NRL deal is done. It will be interesting to see what the fine print is, whether the Swans/Giants etc are always broadcast in their home state and whether 7 can pick which teams are playing in the games they are showing. It looks like a decent deal financially but as far as exposure goes it looks like a backward step. And I'm amazed at how quickly both rights have been stitched up.

insert.pause

First Grade
Lol, typical afl, agree to longer deal, less FTA games, all so they can claim they got 2bn and more than "the rugby league"... the Victorians will be so pleased.

So at best the afl is looking at 330m pa, while the NRL already has 185m stitched up with 4 FTA games.

gallagher

Juniors
The polo player is gonna cop it big time from AFL fans about only 3 fta games. That's amazing 7 only wanted 3.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
So they wheeled out Wilson again to spruik the leak hey? Things must be pretty desperate for the AFL.

McLachlan appears to have negotiated this deal under duress.

insert.pause

First Grade
You just know what ever figure they get, despite being over more years and including all their rights, that for the next 6 years it will be reported as the 'AFL 2bn broadcast deal, while the NRL has a 1.7bn broadcast deal'. They did the same thing with the current deal, always reporting only the fta & fox total for the NRL while reporting the AFL deal inclusive of digital rights etc.

Fox had better play it smart because whatever deal they make with the AFL, the NRL will be running the numbers and asking for equity, and I can see Smith playing hard ball with them until that happens.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
You just know what ever figure they get, despite being over more years and including all their rights, that for the next 6 years it will be reported as the 'AFL 2bn broadcast deal, while the NRL has a 1.7bn broadcast deal'. They did the same thing with the current deal, always reporting only the fta & fox total for the NRL while reporting the AFL deal inclusive of digital rights etc.

Fox had better play it smart because whatever deal they make with the AFL, the NRL will be running the numbers and asking for equity, and I can see Smith playing hard ball with them until that happens.

Not gonna be that easy with afl having 6 exclusive fox games to our four. Maybe a fifth game might be in the mix.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Luckily Smith can afford to bide his time, Fox is only going to keep losing market share.

It really seems like a rushed deal from Gillion, less games on FTA and an extra year... Not a great start and already seems like some AFL fans are giving it to him on BF.

Long term it also means the NRL will be negotiating a year earlier and I can't see 7&Fox willingly going back to a 5 year deal in 2023.

The more I think about it the more rushed it seems.

Johnny88

Juniors
So even Ten or 9 didn't want a AFL Saturday game? That's a bit embarrassing and only 3 games on FTA and 6 on Fox. I think the AFL dropped the ball for there fans this time around.

insert.pause

First Grade
Not gonna be that easy with afl having 6 exclusive fox games to our four. Maybe a fifth game might be in the mix.

They may only have three FTA but those three will probably still vary by market, ensuring WA, SA, NSW & QLD all still get local teams games free, so it's not really exclusive.

Last Week

Bench
7 currently pay $475million for 4 games.
Telstra pay $150million for online and naming rights
Foxtel paying $600million to simulcast the rest.

I fail to see how or why 7 would pay more for less games, even with 12 Thursday night games thrown into it.

Would Foxtel and Telstra be willing to pay close to double for one extra game when they already have simulcasting?

(I haven't taken the extra year of the deal into account too much. Too tired for that right now.)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The polo player is gonna cop it big time from AFL fans about only 3 fta games. That's amazing 7 only wanted 3.

Nah, it just meant with the games on thursday, 7 wouldnt get a game on saturday.

Still 4 a week, but only 3 over the weekend. (Its back to the current set up, for the other 12 weeks.)..

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Already dumb lazy sports commentators and journos are suggesting the AFL have easily surpassed the NRL deal by securing the magic 2 billion dollar figure.

cleary89

Coach
The quality of this is horrible I just can't watch it, plus all the buffering. This service is just not up to a decent standard IMO. But I guess you get what you pay for.

In comparison I signed up for a free trial of the NFL season pass to watch the 49ers game. The high definition was beautiful, there was no buffering and it didn't drop out once. The price for the full season is about $250. I would pay that for an NRL equivalent online service even though there are far less games in the NRL, but when you consider I pay about $1000 a year for fox just for rugby league pretty much, it would be worth it.

I did the same. Watched it in 4k with no problems, HD in the livestream usually buffers every now and then so I watch it in 480p.

pardon my ignorance, but how do you overcome the "not available in your area" error ?

Download Hola extension for chrome. It's free and takes 2 mins.

Also download an adblocker extension. Stops the ads on there and on every other website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts