What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
How do these people stay in jobs?

Twice as much as the NRL's deal hey Caroline.

A blatant lie to serve her masters.

docbrown

Coach
These guys know little about media reporting. Here's how it works:

News Corp/AFL exec rings Rothfield or Wilson and says "Hey, we need a little bit of publicity on this. Can you do another PR spot for us?"

"Sure"

That's it. It doesn't even need to be entirely factual information, the goal is just to drive the organisation's agenda, not to get to the truth. Anybody who has ever done marketing knows this.

And sadly these hacks know this. It's the only way they can compete against real journalists. They delude themselves into thinking that they've got connections but at the end of the day they're just puppets.

As for the article's content, there's a lot of if's in there but a lot of people were saying it'd be wrapped up quick. Just like the NRL deal I'll wait for final dollar amounts/details until I take it as gospel. That said anyone making a comparison between either deal (like Wilson) before both are finalised is a moron.

It seems like clawing back on F2A exposure seems to be for Fox's benefit, not the AFLs. It will send the likes of Big Footy into meltdown when their viewership numbers drop.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
These guys know little about media reporting. Here's how it works:

News Corp/AFL exec rings Rothfield or Wilson and says "Hey, we need a little bit of publicity on this. Can you do another PR spot for us?"

"Sure"

That's it. It doesn't even need to be entirely factual information, the goal is just to drive the organisation's agenda, not to get to the truth. Anybody who has ever done marketing knows this.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if getting it "wrong" was part of the deal with Wilson. No one could possibly be that stupid but the AFL deal seems to be about managing the message that AFL is bigger than League and taking the oxygen from the NRL deal. It amazes me that the AFL would rush out with this so soon after the League deal, they don't even know the details of the NRL deal yet and they had 2 years to negotiate. I think it's pretty sad really, but one thing is for sure and that is that Offsiders will be talking broadcasting deals this week!

insert.pause

First Grade
According to Wilson, Telstra will pay between $35-50m annually, now even taking that lower estimate of $35m p.a., telstra would be paying $210m over 6 years, leaving the AFL TV deal with 7 & Fox at $1.79bn over 6 years, or $298m annually- only $113m more then the NRL will get from FTA only!

The NRL only need to get $148m p.a. more from Fox, Sky NZ, Digital, international rights, & domestic rights to international calendar, to equal the AFL's SIX YEAR deal!

Fox could pay less than they do now and the NRL deal still trumps the AFL.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-with-2bn-tv-rights-deal-20150818-gj1ow6.html

Cletus

First Grade
Wow so the $2 Billion includes all digital rights:roll:. And it seems we now know the source of the leak :lol::

Having officially taken over the most powerful role in Australian sporting administration less than 15 months ago, Gillon McLachlan has already achieved his legacy to the game with a record new multi-media agreement worth at least $2 billion

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ights-deal-20150818-gj1ow6.html#ixzz3j8wWq97t
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

chigurh

What's the bet that, no matter how much the final NRL deal trumps the AFL deal by, for the next 5-6 years it will reported as the NRL FTA component vs the AFL complete package.

insert.pause

First Grade
What's the bet that, no matter how much the final NRL deal trumps the AFL deal by, for the next 5-6 years it will reported as the NRL FTA component vs the AFL complete package.

Yup, just like the current deal that when reported in comparison to AFL always ignores digital & NZ for NRL.

Cletus

First Grade
Interesting that everyone is using the word "aroundabout" before $2 billion. I think what they are looking for is "less than" :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts