What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

T to the T

Juniors
Pay TV/simulcast rights were 30-40% higher than the FTA rights last time I seem to recall. Foxtel will need to stump up near enough a billion themselves if they want to join the party. We have time on our side as well with streaming services improving all the time which could be a viable competitor before long.

The reactionary buffoons losing their shit already:crazy: BigPoofy are laughing at you merkins. We will get close to 2bn for 5 years with 2 expansion teams. The gloves are off.

docbrown

Coach
he did say it!

News are backing afl to kill off rugby league, Thomson said essentially just that.

We are now at war with news corp. AGAIN!

I heard what they all said. The AFL fans will lap it up. The drama queens will go to panic station. Others who know how to get on with the job -- such as the NRL's negotiation team -- will just do exactly that.

These kind of press conferences are a mutual masterbation exercise. What do you want him to say? Of course he is going to talk about how huge the AFL's dick is.

insert.pause

First Grade
How are we f**ked? If we get 1.7 billion its loads to run the comp.

Who are we going to sell the other games to and receive anything close to 800m? Not only are news publicly backing our competition, making signing any deal with fox untenable, but they have declared they will also push it through papers. Today was basically the announcement of a News Corp-AFL joint venture.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Instant needs to calm down a bit. fox is posturing and knows that it needs NRL.

ARLC/Smith need to be cool, stick to their guns and give foxtel an ultimatum. pay through the fu#king nose or die out quicker.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Listening to the Sports Today with John Gibbs, it seems that people aren't getting the full story. Murdoch said he will sit down with the NRL, he knows he needs it.

insert.pause

First Grade
Within 3 years the NRL have gone from getting about $10m less annually than the AFL to probably at the very absolute best getting $100m less annually.

like I said, if Smith doesn't have an ace up his sleeve he has f**ked up the negotiations spectacularly for te NRL while provoking News Corp to fund our rivals.

Johnny88

Juniors
Great deal for the AFL. Looks like the NRL stuffed up. Taking Monday night and killing super Saturday has hurt our deal.

If News corp prefer AFL so much why didn't they go after them in the 90's instead of the NRL. News ripped RL apart for there own gain and now there crying now because RL is standing up for itself for once and News can't handle it. Hope Smith & co stare down Murdoch and get them to pay up for all the time/money gone due to all the damage they done.

It's only fair that RL re-gains what it lost so long ago to News.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Within 3 years the NRL have gone from getting about $10m less annually than the AFL to probably at the very absolute best getting $100m less annually.

like I said, if Smith doesn't have an ace up his sleeve he has f**ked up the negotiations spectacularly for te NRL while provoking News Corp to fund our rivals.

seven is paying $900 million for 3.5 matches per round over 6 years for AFL. $150 mill per year.

nine is paying $925 million for 4 matches per round over 5 years for NRL. $185 mill per year plus more exposure on FTA.

just wait and see what happens with foxtel. they will come to the table with a good deal or seal there own death in NSW/QLD.

T to the T

Juniors
If News corp prefer AFL so much why didn't they go after them in the 90's instead of the NRL. News ripped RL apart for there own gain and now there crying now because RL is standing up for itself for once and News can't handle it. Hope Smith & co stare down Murdoch and get them to pay up for all the time/money gone due to all the damage they done.

It's only fair that RL re-gains what it lost so long ago to News.

Nail on head.

Just because the AFL got a good deal doesn't mean the NRL won't either. Some of you need to chill out and get a grip.

Indelible

Juniors
This is proving to be a very messy breakup with NewsCorp. Listening to Paul Kent carry on about how rude the NRL have been on 360 to all the current partners and bidders. Funnily enough excluding 7 news own them all. Need to wait for all the emotion to die down, however looks like the AFL have well and truly got into bed with Fox.

applesauce

Bench
Everyone who is saying FOXTEL WILL DIE needs to read the AFL deal details.

NEWS CORP, NOT FOXTEL OR FOXSPORTS, OWN THE NEW AFL RIGHTS.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Fox will simulcast nrl all games and pay $1.1b for 5 years I reckon
Nines offer will drop to $800m

And we will get $1.9b for 5 I reckon

Just under $400m a year

Everyone keeps saying that if fox loses the NRL its f**ked.. Can someone please explain this to me?

NRL averages about 150-300k viewers per NRL game. Foxtel has 2.1 million subscribers..

If fox got rid of the NRL, even if every one of those 150-300k people that watch league got rid of fox, they would still have 1.8million subscribers. I highly doubt that all league fans would get rid of fox, yeah a lot would, but it wouldnt be more than 100k subscribers at the most.

If you factor in that fox will be getting an extra AFL game, you can bank on them attracting a few more AFL fans which would close the gap even more.

I dont think fox are going to be running scared tbh.

saint pebba

First Grade
Who are we going to sell the other games to and receive anything close to 800m? Not only are news publicly backing our competition, making signing any deal with fox untenable, but they have declared they will also push it through papers. Today was basically the announcement of a News Corp-AFL joint venture.

Do you really think that Foxtel won't pay up for the NRL.....

Simple maths says that if they don't and 20% of the NSW/QLD population (2mil) cancel their sports package on Foxtel it will cost them 24mil per month. This equates to 288m per year which is more than what it will cost to buy the NRL rights.

Rupert can say whatever he wants but the powers that be at Foxtel will have a different view.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Everyone keeps saying that if fox loses the NRL its f**ked.. Can someone please explain this to me?

NRL averages about 150-300k viewers per NRL game. Foxtel has 2.1 million subscribers..

If fox got rid of the NRL, even if every one of those 150-300k people that watch league got rid of fox, they would still have 1.8million subscribers. I highly doubt that all league fans would get rid of fox, yeah a lot would, but it wouldnt be more than 100k subscribers at the most.

If you factor in that fox will be getting an extra AFL game, you can bank on them attracting a few more AFL fans which would close the gap even more.

I dont think fox are going to be running scared tbh.

What's 100000 x $100 a month. ??

$10 m a month loss in subscription evenue

Double that in ad revenue.

Could cost then $400 m a year to lose nrl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts