What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously have none of you ever been involved in negotiations. 1. TOday was the AFLs turn in the spotlight so you support them if you are News. 2. You are News and negotiating with NRL then you use everything you can to make that deal cheaper by talking them down and trying to scare them.

I would love to buy a house off lots off you here you would give in the first time I walked away and said nope too expensive

Wish I could 'like' posts.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Considering 9 and Fairfax have a 50/50 partnership in Stan this could go anywhere. NRL might want to jump into bed with them as a total competitor to fox/afl. Obviously much cheaper to run a "tv network" online these days. Also much quicker and cheaper to load an app on your smart tv than wait to have a foxtel box installed. NRL is the only real reason I have fox and would be very happy to scrap it if I could get the same programming on the net.

Good deal by the AFL, but I think we'll still top them on a per annum basis if you include NZ Rights (not to mention International rights). Our mobile rights will be worth quite a bit due to the huge year on year increase in traffic.

Given the leaps we've made in terms of scheduling and live coverage, I think our negotiators have done better thus far.

All you doom gloomers, ask yourself this question
Why was there so much discussion about the NRL during the AFL broadcast rights press conference?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow that is a faking massive amount of money! Not really that surprised., afl have been manoeuvring this for two decades with proper expansion and major presence in every large capital city in the country. They clearly set out their strategic intent to be seen as "Australia's game" and fox have bought it hook, line and sinker.

After a short bask in the glow of what looked like a good fta deal, Smith and co are now massively under the spotlight to deliver both expansion and money that will allow us to keep pace with afl. If he fails we are going to see some challenges in the years ahead for the game.

With that size war chest you haven't seen anything yet in regards to the push the afl will now make Into nsw and Qland, supported by Foxtel who will be doing everything to convert sports fans into afl fans.

elbusto

Coach
Everyone keeps saying that if fox loses the NRL its f**ked.. Can someone please explain this to me?

NRL averages about 150-300k viewers per NRL game. Foxtel has 2.1 million subscribers..

If fox got rid of the NRL, even if every one of those 150-300k people that watch league got rid of fox, they would still have 1.8million subscribers. I highly doubt that all league fans would get rid of fox, yeah a lot would, but it wouldnt be more than 100k subscribers at the most.

If you factor in that fox will be getting an extra AFL game, you can bank on them attracting a few more AFL fans which would close the gap even more.

I dont think fox are going to be running scared tbh.
jesus mate that doesn't mean only 300000 subscribersvwatch league. It means at any given time athe most watching nrl would be 300000. They are different things

Wow that is a faking massive amount of money! Not really that surprised., afl have been manoeuvring this for two decades with proper expansion and major presence in every large capital city in the country. They clearly set out their strategic intent to be seen as "Australia's game" and fox have bought it hook, line and sinker.

After a short bask in the glow of what looked like a good fta deal, Smith and co are now massively under the spotlight to deliver both expansion and money that will allow us to keep pace with afl. If he fails we are going to see some challenges in the years ahead for the game.

With that size war chest you haven't seen anything yet in regards to the push the afl will now make Into nsw and Qland, supported by Foxtel who will be doing everything to convert sports fans into afl fans.

Again the NRL rights are still ahead of the AFL rights ...

Yep I'm keeping Foxtel for storage hunter repeats :crazy::crazy:
No nrl means no Foxtel in a lot of homes!

Yeah, but it by no means spells the end of foxtel as people here seem to believe.

Foxtel doesnt need the NRL to survive, it would still be profitable without the NRL.

A lot of NRL fans do have foxtel because they watch other sports and other programs.

I think people are over estimating the impact the NRL would have to foxtel.

News Corp has enough money to play the childish game with the NRL, they are the ones with the upper hand, not the NRL.

insert.pause

First Grade
How old are you insert.pause or are you a troll, seriously?

We will get close to 2bn whether News like RL or not over 5 years. We will have 2 expansion teams. We will have 4 games played on FTA. Our international game is only going to improve as well, something the AFL can only dream of. We are free from the shackles of News and they don't like it. F%ck them. They will pay for their transgressions tonight and over the past 20 years.

Patience is key.

Im not a troll, I love the game, but I have been around long enough to see today's little show for what it is, the NRL gave News Corp the finger and they responded almost immediately by bankrolling the AFL push into NSW and QLD at the expense of league fans. Why pay big money for two codes when you can side with one at the expense of he other, don't kid yourself, this is classic Murdoch. I can not see how the NRL will get anything close to the AFL equivalent over five years now, which is a massive step backward for the game after drawing effectively even with the AFL in the last deal. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more to be wrong and to be labeled a drama queen.

user_nat

Coach
The AFL have done well for themselves, but who cares how it compares.
Only NRL concern is if they get enough money to run things, which they will.

user_nat

Coach
Yeah, but it by no means spells the end of foxtel as people here seem to believe.

Foxtel doesnt need the NRL to survive, it would still be profitable without the NRL.

A lot of NRL fans do have foxtel because they watch other sports and other programs.

News Corp has enough money to play the childish game with the NRL, they are the ones with the upper hand, not the NRL.

Sport is obviously extremely important to Foxtel. Hence why they spend so much in it.

I have foxtel
I watch other sports
I will get rid of foxtel if they don't have the NRL

I will be one of many hundred of thousands

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Why didn't smith wait until afl was sorted. ?

Why poke a bear when they were deep in negotiations with afl ?

He could have waited till next month to do the deal with 9

jesus mate that doesn't mean only 300000 subscribersvwatch league. It means at any given time athe most watching nrl would be 300000. They are different things

Yeah, but a lot of people do watch a number of games as well. The point I am making, is that not everyone who watches NRL on fox would cancel their subscription as heaps of NRL fans have fox for other shows and sports/

I have foxtel
I watch other sports
I will get rid of foxtel if they don't have the NRL

I will be one of many hundred of thousands

Me too, but I dont think the figure will be anywhere near hundreds of thousands.

This is just my opinion, and none of us have any data to support either argument really.

If fox did lose the rights, I would love for nothing more than to see them collapse.

nrlnrl

First Grade
A lot of people are criticising the NRL for the knee jerk reaction with changes to the shoulder charge rule & not seeing the big picture. It seems as though quite a few people are reacting without seeing the big picture. Let's just stay calm & see what happens with the remainder of the NRL deal for 2018 to 2022.

Why didn't smith wait until afl was sorted. ?

Why poke a bear when they were deep in negotiations with afl ?

He could have waited till next month to do the deal with 9

Because Murdoch has abused the NRL for too long
And as soon as the NRL stops being his bitch and mans up, he has a hissy fit. He has shown his hand now. The NRL is his biggest product. Whether he likes to admit it or not, and I have a feeling he knows he is going to have pay up.
They will lose a lot of money by losing the NRL rights. Again it is their biggest program on a weekly basis for 8 months. Subscribers who used to watch NRL won't suddenly watch AFL instead. They will switch allegiances to whoever is showing the games.

Losing the NRL rights is a horrible scenario for Foxtel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts