What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ba

Post Whore
I must have been hallucinating when I was in Brisbane last then! Click on the courier mail sports section and tell me what you see. NRL team talk top story then the other 4 leading stories below, 2 of them are AFL related!

Yes, because the website is a reliable metric of what's in the print paper.

elbusto

Coach
You must have been. I read the print copy everyday at work, the AFL is 10 pages in from the back and gets 1 page 2 at a pinch. The GC Bulletin and the TV Bulletin barely mention it. Give it up, mate. You're making shit up again.

It's all part of his happy and positive demeanour

insert.pause

First Grade
Will the NSW or QLD papers still write a free article about the AFL anymore? Can't see why they would when the AFL has hundred odd million in pre-purchased advertising with them.

seanoff

Juniors
I'm just amazed that somebody would buy so heavily into a narrative.

Talking about honesty and respect, yet entirely excusing Super League and NewsCorps behaviour right up until Dave Patsy Gallop got the boot.

There's no way the pre-requisite virgins are sacrificed to summon Rupert from the ninth circle of hell for an AFL presser unless he is shitting in his britches.

What planet are you guys on.

Honesty and respect is limited to personal relationships. Leave it there.

Business is very much driven by the sun-tzu mantra.

" keep your friends close and your enemies closer "

In business do what gets the most money, legally.

Also a reason divorces are so lucrative, people get emotional and want to mess up the other side. Meanwhile the lawyers keep all the money.

elbusto

Coach

Also a reason divorces are so lucrative, people get emotional and want to mess up the other side. Meanwhile the lawyers keep all the money.
Jesus mate give up.

t-ba

Post Whore

The planet where the NRL has the content that literally keeps Foxtel afloat and has them scared enough to have set the muckraking to 11.

We've gone from not blindsiding partners, to excusing NewsCorp attrocities to quoting Sun-Tzu. Now divorce lawyers apparently. The stark reality of it is that it's not Two and a Half Men repeats or Before the Bounce keeping Fox up. It's the 300,000 punters dumb enough to pay to watch Penrith derp it up against Parramatta on a weekly basis. NewsCorp knows this, and it also knows Millenials are moving away from Subscription TV in droves and that it's unlikely to grow this pie in the modern environment. They're stuck with it and obviously spooked.

Last edited:

8Ball

First Grade
The amount Foxtel paid the AFL only serves to increase the potential that the NRL may get from then compared to previous estimates. They have effectively signalled to the market "this is how much we value premium sports now." They've also said to current and potential customers "hey look at us..we're different to Netflix."

TimmyB

Juniors
To be honest, I'm now hoping we accept a smaller deal than AFL and cut Rupert adrift. It would still be a big increase on the current deal and will allow us to hunt union.

t-ba

Post Whore
To be honest, I'm now hoping we accept a smaller deal than AFL and cut Rupert adrift. It would still be a big increase on the current deal and will allow us to hunt union.

Pretty much. Don't think it's going to happen, I think Rupey will be forced to cave by more sane voices in his organisation, but god it would be sweet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we'll end up with:

$800-850 Million from Nine
$1.0-$1.1 Billion from Fox
$200-250 Million Telstra
$150 Million from NZ
? - International

That's $2.25 Billion and $32 Million p.a. bigger than Fumbleball (not including International).

AFL deal per year
FTA $150mill ($140mill cash)
Fox $217mill (? contra value)
Telstra $50mill

It is likey they will end up with 4.5 games a round on FTA (not sure how they get the .5 of game?)

Going to take some significant increases in Telstra and Sky and of course Fox or someone else stumping up big to get near $2bill. Time for Dave to earn his big bikkies!

Last edited:

Roy80

Juniors
Two things:

Firstly by all reports Murdoch and News have been negotiating with the NRL since the channel 9 deal was announced. The fact that Rupert looked so angry means the NRL know what they can get and are playing hard ball. This is a good sign.

Secondly the $2.5b over six years doesn't just average out at 416m per year. Every year will show growth. That sixth year probably accounted for $500-550m meaning their 5 year deal is worth probably less than 2b. Can you imagine what the NRL will get in the first year of their next deal? These deals seem to double every 5 years.

Last edited:

Haffa

This is the thing about the digital rights, no one buys the NRL pass to watch FTA games, they buy it to watch the Foxtel games, they just get the lot bundled in with one subscription. I really don't see a massive problem with Telstra about the digital rights, I think their problem is the same as News Corp, each owning a 50% share in Foxtel.

I moved into a place with unreliable TV reception and I cancelled my Foxtel subscription when I moved Because of Netflix. I signed up for NRL game pass for all games. I doubt I'm the only one.

We now have Fetch but I still use game pass the majority of the time.

RoosTah

Juniors
According to MCN, Foxtel's advertising arm;

http://www.mcn.com.au/content/how_to_buy.pdf

This is likely also tied up with Rugby supporters also being in NSW and Qld, but that's a facinating chart all the same.

Fox will need to bid for all games with a simulcast of the 9 content, otherwise it would make more sense for the NRL to sell the remaining games to another FTA.

Judging by that chart, that would seriously damage the Foxtel subscriber base, but the NRL would take a substantial hit too. All the same, the NRL would still have a deal larger than their last one.

insert.pause

First Grade
An AFL Fox Sports news bulletin, "Paul Kent says the NRL's $925m broadcast deal has revealed itself to be a joke, following the AFL's 2.5bn deal announced today"

Doesn't distinguish it as FTA only, this is what we can expect for the next 7 years every time the two codes deals are reported. News Corp won't ease up now until a deal is done, the boss has shown the example of how they treat rugby league.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=afls-broadcast-deal-a-joke_1227489167622&vc=222

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny as that the Fox RL shows have refused to mention the Nine Tv deal until today, now they are happy to bag off the NRL.

T to the T

Juniors
So what about Foxtel deathriding the NRL? They can say what they like. Trying to put pressure on Smith to make a quick deal and silence Mordor. Murdick going out of his way to hav a dig at RL is a GOOD sign. The old man is rattled. How can you not see that? If ScrewsCorp don't pay over a billion, at the minimum, for the NRL, I will fly over from proper South Wales to New South Wales and let you tattoo 'insert, pause' on my lower back and walk topless down Oxford Street.

gUt

Coach
I'm interested to see how the likes of Matty Johns approaches this. Kent has built his career on being a shallow, merkinish outrage merchant in the Wilson/Slothfield mould so his pathetic reaction is both scripted and expected. Will true fans who have always depended on the sport they've played since they were kids be somewhat more fair in their commentary or will they toe the line?

Haffa

Does anyone have the numbers for the VFLs NZ deal? What are they paying Sky to show their games this time around? Is it more or less than they pay US TV?

fourplay

Juniors
An AFL Fox Sports news bulletin, "Paul Kent says the NRL's $925m broadcast deal has revealed itself to be a joke, following the AFL's 2.5bn deal announced today"

I don't see how..

The AFL deal averages out at $418 million per year, with Seven paying $140 million per year for three-and-a-half games per week.

In comparison, Nine's deal with the NRL is worth $185 million per year for four games per week, plus State of Origin.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nd-telstra-20150818-gj2648.html#ixzz3jBkPhyrn

Status
Not open for further replies.