What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ba

Post Whore
The NRL don't owe Fox or Telstra anything. Long gone are the days when Rugby League had to rely on media conglomerates for the game to survive. If Telstra wants to walk away I'm sure Optus or Vodafone would jump right in.

This is the freedom the game won last time, and the smell coming from News Ltd is fear. Sure the NRL may not match the AFL deal but they have absolute control of the game and more FTA exposure. That's fine by me.

Pretty much. What other reason to drag Rupert from his crypt and make veiled threats?

elbusto

Coach
Its got everything to do with it. You cannot blindside your business partners like this. You just cant do that.

If the telstra thing is true, thats terrible and very probably cost the nrl a fair chunk of cash.

Same with fox.

You are falling for news limited bs. Expect s lot more over the next few days.

applesauce

Bench
Could the NRL be aiming to produce and deliver the remaining 4 games per round to sell direct to customers the same way the big American sports do? It isn't out of the question, it mat hurt financially to start but they would certainly reap the benefits long term.

What, to international countries where it doesn't infringe on existing TV contracts?

It pisses me off when people say just do what the NFL do with gamepass. Yet few realise that is not available to people in the US. You have to get an additional $350 package ontop of your existing Direct TV cable subscription to watch all games.

The NFL did not become successful selling it's content direct to the domestic consumer.

seanoff

Juniors
The NRL don't owe Fox or Telstra anything. Long gone are the days when Rugby League had to rely on media conglomerates for the game to survive. If Telstra wants to walk away I'm sure Optus or Vodafone would jump right in.

This is the freedom the game won last time, and the smell coming from News Ltd is fear. Sure the NRL may not match the AFL deal but they have absolute control of the game and more FTA exposure. That's fine by me.

The problem isnt just telstra for the streaming rights. If they didnt talk to telstra you can bet any money you have optus and voda had no idea either.

And its a bad idea anyway. 9 have the digital rights for those 4 games, but there was no competition for them, alledgedly. So the nrl dont know what they are worth because they didnt find out. Its f**king stupid.

Good for you if you think there isnt a symbiotic relationship between sport and tv. They need each other. You can try and think one is ok without the other but it really isnt. The nrl need the exposure and the tv companies need the content.

The nrl are tasked with getting the best deal. Not giving to their mates at a discount.

t-ba

Post Whore
The nrl are tasked with getting the best deal. Not giving to their mates at a discount.

f**k me dead where have you been the last twenty years?

Newscorp has quite literally been going in without lube since 1995, blindsided the ARL by trying to murder it and then gave itself ridiculously cheap TV deals and you're talking about business etiquette?

How's that Koolaid down in Jonestown?

elbusto

Coach

Newscorp has quite literally been going in without lube since 1995, blindsided the ARL by trying to murder it and then gave itself ridiculously cheap TV deals and you're talking about business etiquette?

naive chap isn't he?

I think we'll end up with:

$800-850 Million from Nine
$1.0-$1.1 Billion from Fox
$200-250 Million Telstra
$150 Million from NZ
? - International

That's $2.25 Billion and $32 Million p.a. bigger than Fumbleball (not including International).

Haffa

The problem isnt just telstra for the streaming rights. If they didnt talk to telstra you can bet any money you have optus and voda had no idea either.

And its a bad idea anyway. 9 have the digital rights for those 4 games, but there was no competition for them, alledgedly. So the nrl dont know what they are worth because they didnt find out. Its f**king stupid.

Good for you if you think there isnt a symbiotic relationship between sport and tv. They need each other. You can try and think one is ok without the other but it really isnt. The nrl need the exposure and the tv companies need the content.

What are you talking about? Streaming rights are still available, 9 have non exclusive rights to stream meaning the NRL can still sell them with the other 4 fixtures without having to pay 9.

TimmyB

Juniors
You'd have to suspect this grandstanding is all part of the game. NRL put the pressure on the News, and News has tried to shift that pressure back to the NRL with the comments Rupert Murdoch made. All comments aside, I sincerely doubt he would pay more for the AFL out of malice and spite - you don't make it as far as he has by making emotional decisions. Which is why we are here and David Smith is in the NRL bunker.

Murdoch is a merkin though.

seanoff

Juniors

No that was newscorp taking advantage of stupidity, weakness and a bunch of people working for themsleves and not the game. ( see the defectors to superleague and those that led them there)

News were terrible, no doubt about it. But they were given the opportunity and they took it. Some of the people responsible are still involved and feted. But they allowed news the opportunity and news took it.

This isnt monopoly at home. You cant carry a grudge, you cant cut people out because you rely on them and they on you.

The nfl call their broadcasters partners. They all work together. I dont konw if they like it or not, but they all do it.

That has to happen here.

Last Week

Bench
No that was newscorp taking advantage of stupidity, weakness and a bunch of people working for themsleves and not the game. ( see the defectors to superleague and those that led them there)

News were terrible, no doubt about it. But they were given the opportunity and they took it. Some of the people responsible are still involved and feted. But they allowed news the opportunity and news took it.

This isnt monopoly at home. You cant carry a grudge, you cant cut people out because you rely on them and they on you.

The nfl call their broadcasters partners. They all work together. I dont konw if they like it or not, but they all do it.

That has to happen here.

If they ever acted like partner, maybe they would be shown respect.

elbusto

Coach

That has to happen here.
ffs mate you are s panic merchant. I suggest you wait and see how this plays out. There is s long way to go. And don't believe anything you read in Rupert's press from this point on.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'm just amazed that somebody would buy so heavily into a narrative.

Talking about honesty and respect, yet entirely excusing Super League and NewsCorps behaviour right up until Dave Patsy Gallop got the boot.

There's no way the pre-requisite virgins are sacrificed to summon Rupert from the ninth circle of hell for an AFL presser unless he is shitting in his britches.

Perth Red

Post Whore
:crazy: no they don't. What an complete lie.

I must have been hallucinating when I was in Brisbane last then! Click on the courier mail sports section and tell me what you see. NRL team talk top story then the other 4 leading stories below, 2 of them are AFL related!

Haffa

I must have been hallucinating when I was in Brisbane last then! Click on the courier mail sports section and tell me what you see. NRL team talk top story then the other 4 leading stories below, 2 of them are AFL related!

You must have been. I read the print copy everyday at work, the AFL is 10 pages in from the back and gets 1 page 2 at a pinch. The GC Bulletin and the TV Bulletin barely mention it. Give it up, mate. You're making shit up again.

insert.pause

First Grade
What are you talking about? Streaming rights are still available, 9 have non exclusive rights to stream meaning the NRL can still sell them with the other 4 fixtures without having to pay 9.

This is the thing about the digital rights, no one buys the NRL pass to watch FTA games, they buy it to watch the Foxtel games, they just get the lot bundled in with one subscription. I really don't see a massive problem with Telstra about the digital rights, I think their problem is the same as News Corp, each owning a 50% share in Foxtel.

Cletus

First Grade

That has to happen here.

Rubbish, Packer got the rights and Murdoch spent $1/2 billion tearing the game apart by selling a dream to various idiots like Daley. Then he recouped the cash directly from the NRL and through cheap TV deals. He wouldn't have done to a game he cared about.

elbusto

Coach
I'm just amazed that somebody would buy so heavily into a narrative.

Talking about honesty and respect, yet entirely excusing Super League and NewsCorps behaviour right up until Dave Patsy Gallop got the boot.

There's no way the pre-requisite virgins are sacrificed to summon Rupert from the ninth circle of hell for an AFL presser unless he is shitting in his britches.

The old prick needs both codes as sport is the only thing driving fox now. Netflix has scared the bejesus out of him. He needs rugby league.

Status
Not open for further replies.