What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL PLAYOFFS: ROUND 2

Broncodroid

Juniors
Ok NFL fans, we move on to week 2, make your predictions:

NFC

St. Louis vs Atlanta @ Atlanta

Minnesota vs Philedlphia @ Philedelphia

AFC

Indianapolis vs New England @ New England

New York Jets vs Pittsburgh @ Pittsburgh

Some "expert opinions" for those struggling:

Shannon Sharpe; All time great TE for Denver and Baltimore

Jan. 13, 2005) -- A lot of people are talking about whether homefield advantage matters in the playoffs anymore, with three of the four road teams winning on Wild Card Weekend. Personally, I thought the home field would be more of a benefit in the AFC than the NFC due to the quality of teams we're talking about. Let's not forget that in one of the NFC games, the two teams were 8-8 and 9-7, and in the other they were 8-8 and 10-6. So we weren't dealing with powerhouses here.

Furthermore, in the first round of the playoffs, a team that does one thing very well will usually beat a balanced team. That might sound surprising but it's true. St. Louis, for example, can throw the ball. They don't play great defense and they don't run the ball well, but they can throw it up there. Meanwhile, Seattle is a team that throws pretty well, runs pretty well and plays defense pretty well. Same thing with San Diego. They do most things pretty well but aren't exceptional in one area.

Also, when a team has one strength that matches up favorably against another team, that bodes well for them. The Packers had no defense, for example, and the fact that they had the home field meant nothing because teams have been beating them there all year. If you have a weakness, it will be exploited. Denver has no pass defense, neither does Seattle. However, once you get past the first round, all the teams are balanced.

This week, the matchups appear much more fairly balanced. Let's go through them.

Jets at Steelers
This is going to be a very good game. What I like about Pittsburgh is that it has everybody back healthy. Duce Staley is going to play, Plaxico Burress is going to play, and Jerome Bettis is going to play. That's a pretty potent offense.

People worry about Ben Roethlisberger, but they shouldn't. Why? Because the game won't be left in his hands to win or lose. Between Bettis and Staley, they are going to carry the ball 40 times, meaining Roethlisberger will throw it only 20 to 25 times. The rest of the time he's simply going to hand it off. The key to winning in the playoffs is to stay with your game plan. As they say, "Dance with the girl that brought you to the dance." That's why the Chargers will be watching the Jets play this weekend instead of getting on a plane to Pittsburgh themselves.

The Jets played well in the wild-card game and their defense was the key. But let's be honest, Marty Schottenheimer strayed from the game plan he's been successful with all year and went back to "Marty Ball." The Jets also had a lot of confidence going into San Diego because they had beaten them previously.

Unfortunately for the Jets this week, the Steelers have the edge in previous meetings. They've beaten the Jets the last few times they've played and are confident this week. The Jets will use two running backs, Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan, and will try to use Jordan more and pound the ball. I was surprised to see how well Chad Pennington threw the ball last week. His arm looks totally fine to me. Pittsburgh will try to pressure them all day.

In the end, I still like the Steelers.

Rams at Falcons
This is almost like a home game for the Rams. They're playing indoors on turf, which makes a big difference for a fast offense like they have. However, they simply can't block well enough to protect Marc Bulger from that Atlanta defense. Atlanta will put so much pressure on Bulger all day and I expect a lot of sacks and turnovers.

On the other side of the ball, Atlanta is going to need to show some offense at some point in the playoffs, but not this week. The Falcons will be fine as long as their defense plays like they have been. I like Atlanta.

Vikings at Eagles
If Minnesota can duplicate the effort it put up against Green Bay, it will be fine. The Vikings had big play after big play and countered with the run in the wild-card win. That is exactly what you need to do in order to win in the playoffs, or win any game for that matter.

Daunte Culpepper could end the Eagles' Super Bowl dreams.
I'm still not convinced what Philadelphia can do without Terrell Owens. Yes, Brian Westbrook can run, but the Minnesota defense has no problem with big backs -- they stopped Najeh Davenport and Ahman Green last week without a problem.

This game is all in Daunte Culpepper's hands. The Philadelphia defense is okay, but not unstoppable. Jevon Kearse can put pressure on the quarterback and their secondary has three Pro Bowlers on it, but there is just something about Culpepper that I like. He has the ability to break down a defense with his arm and legs.

As I said before, I simply don't believe in Philly without Terrell Owens.

Colts at Patriots
If Bill Belichick can shut down Peyton Manning without Richard Seymour and with backups subbing in for backups in the secondary, they should put him in the Hall of Fame immediately after the game.

Sometimes you get lucky and maybe this will be one of those times, but I'm worried about New England. I see the whole key to this game for the Patriots being keeping it close. If they fall behind by 10 or 14 points, it's over.

You know Manning is going to score some points in this game and the Patriots offense is going to score on the Indy defense as well. I see Corey Dillon's production as the key in a high-scoring game. If he gets over 150 or 175 rushing yards, the Patriots will win. But if he gets less, which I expect he will, Indianapolis will continue on its march to the Super Bowl.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I have:

Pittsburgh defeating the NY Jets (my AFC title game pick mid season)

New England defeating the Colts (my AFC title game and winner pick mid season)

Then...

Minnesota defeating Philly

St. Louis defeating Atlanta

I got off the Philly bandwagon when Owens went down. The starters have not played together since week 15 and there may be some rest there which is why I am going the upset win for the Vikes who have been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. This may bring the team together and see an upset not many are picking. Moss being underdone is a concern, he is injured, but the second best QB in the NFL this season was Culpepper...wait and see ;)

Another upset in the NFC for mine. St. Louis, with the madman Mike Martz at the reigns is a scary propostion when playing on turf with the speed the RAMS possess. Bulger is coming into his own and the coolness he displayed last week vs Seattle was impressive. Vick is Vick, he will make a play or two, though this regular season poor RAMS D is on a roll and should account for his happy feet (gulp). I just have a feeling the RAMS are primed for the upset.

I chose the PATS simply because I have rode them this season as SB contenders and likely winners. They have injuries on D and I was nearl going to tip Manning and that Offense. I won't, I will stick with the undefeated Brady come playoff time with the knowledge Bellichick and the Pats own Peyton Manning.

Roethlisberger, the solid but not spectacular QB, will remain undefeated and move to his first AFC title showdown vs the Pats, a team he defeated. The D is awesome, the offense is simple though effective...Easiest pick this weekend when the Jets have injury concerns with Penninton and Abraham.

In summary;

NFC Title Game: RAMS vs VIKINGS (who would of thought :mrgreen: )

AFC Title Game: PATS vs STEELERS

Mr Saab

Referee
colts to take care of patriots
vikings over philly
atlanta over rams
steelers over jets

kurt faulk

Coach

i have to go with shannon sharpe and charlie saab for this weekend.

the only pick i'm worried about is the steelers. the jets d can cause some havoc and they may get to rothlesburger and force some errors. they will need to shut down the steelers running game which will be difficult but if they can they will win the game. thomlinson didn't make much of a dent in them last week but then again the steelers don't have shottenheimer to choke away their chances. this will be a very tight game. or the steelers may come out and blow them away early. hard to tell.

sharpe was spot on about the rams. they will hang in there but you know the pressure and the sacks will build up and the costly turnovers will eventuate. plus vick will run cirlces around the rams d.

the vikings should be able to put some points up against the eagles and the eagles might find it difficult to put some up themselves. i think this game revolves around brian westbrook, if the vikings don't shut him down it could be a long day for them. i think the vikings d will hold him up just enough to let the offense lead them to victory.

i believe manning has been waiting for this game since last season. he is better, the edge is better, the receivers are better and the d is better. they should have won the first game this season easily but some costly turnovers in the redzone led to their undoing. i don't see the edge fumbling twice in the redzone this week. and manning just keeps making the right decisions. the patriots depleted secondary will be no match for him. and if the patriots take away the pass manning has no problem handing it off to the edge and rhodes (unlike a certain pigheaded coach in superbowl 36 - yes i'm talking about martz). colts to win and win easily.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm tipping Steelers, Vikes and Falcons in the warm up games... ;-)

The game I really want to see is the Colts v Patriots.

I see that the Patriots have allowed the field to turn into a quagmire to slow down the Colts offence

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=410402

I'm tipping it won't be enough stop the Colts from winning.

Colts are better than last year, the Patriots are not as good as last year. That will be the difference.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Broncodroid said:
Roethlisberger, the solid but not spectacular QB, will remain undefeated and move to his first AFC title showdown vs the Pats, a team he defeated.

With a little help from the Steelers D and running game....

ollie515

Juniors
I think Atlanta will just slip by the rams
Culpepper will dominate the eagles with his legs while Moss watches
Indianapolis to put 30 on the Pats but only win by 10.
And finally the steelers to just beat the Jets in OT..

My 2 cents as a first year NFL fan

legend

Coach
I think the Rams will go back to the SUperbowl. I just get a feeling they will explode on offense and blow the Atlanta d away. Martz loves the deep pass and Bulger knows how to throw it. I think they will meet the Vikes in the NFC Championship game. Two 8-8 teams make the NFC championship game. Now that would be history. :lol:

BuffaloRules

Coach
legend said:
Two 8-8 teams make the NFC championship game. Now that would be history. :lol:

Anything is possible in the NFC this year.

It would be embarrassing for the NFL if an 8-8 team makes the SB

Mr Saab

Referee
BuffaloRules said:
legend said:
Two 8-8 teams make the NFC championship game. Now that would be history. :lol:

Anything is possible in the NFC this year.

It would be embarrassing for the NFL if an 8-8 team makes the SB

how would it be embarrising?
8-8 so what. If they can put it together in the playoffs and knock off the 15-1s 14-2s then so be it.
I hope the vikings make the superbowl, but i think they will fall short in week 3

OZ_Falcon

Juniors
I think that the Rams will again show the inconsistnecy that has held them back all year when they go against the Falcons and will end up stalling out against the Falcons D.

For the other NFC game im still tipping Philly to get up over the Vikings(just).

With the AFC im tipping the Colts to win, only on the fact that Ty Law will not be playing for the Pats, because he shut the colts down last year. And this year the colts Offence is better then the Pats defence. And the Steelers should be able to knock the Jets Jets out in the other game.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
how would it be embarrising?
8-8 so what. If they can put it together in the playoffs and knock off the 15-1s 14-2s then so be it.
I hope the vikings make the superbowl, but i think they will fall short in week 3

Because teams with better records don't even get the chance to qualify for the playoffs.

Special K

Coach
NFC

St. Louis vs Atlanta @ Atlanta - Falcons... Rams don't do a thing for me.

Minnesota vs Philadelphia @ Philadelphia - Philly. McNabb should be able to keep the Eagles in the game and the Philly D should be able to keep Moss quiet and shut down Culpepper

AFC

Indianapolis vs New England @ New England - oooh... Should be a cracker but I'll go New England.

New York Jets vs Pittsburgh @ Pittsburgh - Steelers fo sho

Eelectrica

Referee
NFC
Vikes At Eagles: Can't see the Eagles defence allowing the viking a huge head start that Green Bay allowed. Moss's injury isn't looking good. It is hard to get a read on the eagles because they haven't played a serious game for so long, but I expect Mcnabb and Westbrook to put on a second half show.

Rams at Falcons: Falcons. I think they have the defence to shut down the rams. With Marshall Faulk seeing less game time the Rams offence becomes a lot more predictable. Being predictable and stopping it are two different things admittedly but Falcons in a close one.

AFC: where the fun begins.
Jets at Steelers. the possiblilty of a jets vs Patriots AFC game is giving me nightmares. Steelers are the most perfectly balanced team in the playoffs and will destroy the stupid jests. And that's all I have to say on this one.

Colts at Patriots - the main event.
Colts in a close one, final score 31-27. The patriots defence simply has too many injuries. Belichick can scheme till he's blue in the face, but Manning and his recieving corp are simply to good for average DB's to contain them. The Patriots though aren't the Baltimore Ravens - they have some offence to go with defence and that will enable them to stay in the game until the very end.

It's great that the Colts offence is so explosive, the only problem is that they seem incapable of running down clock late in the game to secure a win. I wonder if that will haunt them at some stage. Even their running game seems to function more like a passing game with edge either getting hit at the line for no gain or making 10+ yards down field.

Mambo

Juniors
Steelers will smash the dirty Jets 30-13. Nothing else matters.

The other lesser games
Philly (even without Owens they'll scrape by) but that'll be it for them. St.Louis will take them down.
NE
S.Louis

Simply put, whoever wins the AFC championship game (Steelers vs NE) will win the superbowl.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Jets kicker Doug Brien has had 2 opportunities to win the game for the Jets and missed both chances! He will need to get out of town ASAP if they lose! :lol:

Eelectrica

Referee
Sucked in stupid Jets. Missed the field goal.
rofl2.gif

Now come on Steelers put this scum away!

Tommy Smith

Referee
Broncodroid said:
Jets kicker Doug Brien has had 2 opportunities to win the game for the Jets and missed both chances! He will need to get out of town ASAP if they lose! :lol:
I was just thinking the same thing. The guy will do well to live beyond this year, let alone keep his NFL career going if the Jets lose.

On the other side of the coin, what's happening to the Steelers? Finals football is a different ball game Mr Roethlisberger.

Eelectrica

Referee
The pressure of playoffs football is definately getting to big Ben. I know it won't happen, but if the Steelers get the ball back they must be tempted to put the experienced Maddox in for the sake of the team.