What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- 4th Cricket Test

tigermite

Juniors
What's happened to our fielding?? It's gone to pieces... Our bowling hasn't been much better. We miss McGrath more than I thought we would, he usually makes an early break through and gets to the middle order before any batsmen really get set.

But one thing I can't understand is the way they have produced all 4 pitches for this series. You think they would have made them to suit Australia, but they are basically roads which the Indian top order don't have any problems with. They should have made them so the ball would swing and move and actually assist the fast bowlers... not so that the Indians would feel comfortable on them :?

whats with brett lee and these 16 no balls. I'd prefer bichel any day, maybe thats just my qld bias, but bichel would of had tandulkar and laxman by now.

Sweeper

Juniors
Bloody SCG MacGill! Ruined my day. I was a fan, but bloody hell, i wish this was a channel nine show so Kerry would ring up and sack him mid way through the day. How many f**king chances to catch a ball, or make a decent throw does he need! I wanted Aussie batting, what i got was MacGill making an arse of himself!

Doctor

Bench
Bloody SCG MacGill! Ruined my day. I was a fan, but bloody hell, i wish this was a channel nine show so Kerry would ring up and sack him mid way through the day. How many f***ing chances to catch a ball, or make a decent throw does he need! I wanted Aussie batting, what i got was MacGill making an arse of himself!

Tell me: Is it true that the Sydney crowd was booing him at stages in yesterday's play? I'm neither surprised nor do I care too much. It wouldn't be very sporting, but he sure has spoiled Australia's slim chances.

At the start of the series I was defending MacGill's spot in the side because statistically he is nearly equal to Warne. Unfortunately what I have decided is that he bowls one good ball every now and then and often gets a wicket from it. Compared to Warne or Kumble who can apply pressure with 90% accuracy, MacGill looks shakey.

Furthermore MacGill goes for too many runs, doesn't tie down one end like most other quality spinners, and nullifies good bowling by dropping catches. Catches win matches, and unfortunately MacGill's fielding leaves a lot to be desired.

My patience for him has waned exponentially and Warne will waltz back into the Test side.

Interesting banner at the SCG today:

(written in appropriate font and colours)

The Lord of the Spin
Return of the King
February 12 2004

Doctor

Bench
The match situation is not good at all for Australia.

India declared at 7/705 - the follow-on mark is 504 and Australia began batting halfway through the 1st session.

Excellent start: Langer (117) and Hayden (67) producing a good opening stand of 147 before a rash shot from Hayden got him out at mid-off. Then Langer did the same thing trying to smash Kumble to Calcutta, but only suceeding in popping it up for Kumble's second wicket.

Ponting made 25 before being LBW to a Kumble quickie, Martyn hung around for a painstaking 45 deliveries before being out caught & bowled by Kumble for just six runs - unbelievably slow and could be an indication that Martyn could be the man to make way for Darren Lehmann and Michael Clarke.

Steve Waugh (40) looked solid until a really good outswinger from Pathan had him caught behind - Gilchrist out bowled yet again to a left-armer, Pathan getting him for six.

Katich (50* from 65) and Lee (0* from 4) a poor comeback combination but the only ones left to avoid the follow-on mark.

Australia 6/342 at stumps with the new ball due tommorow on a dying track with Australia some 160 odd short of the follow-on mark. Simply ridiculous how Australia's batsmen crumble in the face of pressure, getting out to slashing shots trying to be a hero.

India can only win this match, and Australia can only draw it with stubborn (and ironic) batting to save the match. Perhaps some late storms will wash out a few overs or cause light problems.

I think God has a sense of humour - when Australia is poised to win matches (i.e. the New Zealand series two years ago) the rain spoils the match turning an easy win into a disgraceful draw. Hopefully the cookie crumbles the same way now that India are in the same position - a draw would be a poor but much better ending to Waugh's career.

antonius

Coach
Incredibly, if Australia have to follow on it will be the first time for 15 years!!! Lets hope for a miricle that doesn't happen and Katich and Lee can get us past the follow on mark.

antonius

Coach
Katich has scored his maiden century, he and Dizzy are clawing us back from the follow on, only 77 runs needed now.

The Colonel

Immortal
Given Katich's penchant for big scores once he does score a ton I think we can come pretty darn close to the follow on.

antonius

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
Given Katich's penchant for big scores once he does score a ton I think we can come pretty darn close to the follow on.
Yep he just needs the others to stay with him, he is scoring very quickly, Dizzy is playing a very smart game, lets hope he can stick with him.

Terminator

First Grade
I was in the Captain Cook hotel when Steve got out, and nearly everyone even some of the bar staff gave him a standing ovation.

astrogirl

First Grade
I just found out that it might be possible for me to head out to the SCG after work - apparently every day of the test, a decision is made about what time the gates open for free entry. Wouldn't mind turning up to the ground at about 5 :D Nice way to finish off the first working day of 2004!

Go Katich :D

antonius

Coach
Avoiding the follow on is getting tantalisingly close, around thirty odd runs, but we are down to the last wicket, so it's looking unlikely MacGill the only one left. Will they enforce the follow on? I think so.

The Colonel

Immortal
Score another 100- 150 today. The pitch wears a bit more and Kumble comes into his own on a pitch that is starting to crumble. He knows that the Aussies will play for the win rather than a draw so if he gives them a total to chase he could knock them over cheaply like they did in Adelaide.

antonius

Coach
Well we're gone all out for 474. Kumble 8 for 141 Looks like the Indians are not going to enforce the follow on (strange) That gives us a glimmer of hope, only a flicker mind you, a big, and I mean big colapse by them would just open the door for us. I cannot fathom Gangys thinking here, why not enforce it and go for the win? Now he's going to have to make all the match deciding decissions, and if they are bowled out cheaply they could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. If that happened you wouldn't want to be him when he goes home to India.
Sorry about that Colonel, I went to edit my post and deleted it by mistake. LOL.

antonius

Coach
Bloody Brett Lee, he's done it again got Sahwag off a no Bloody Ball, and the crowd are giving him heaps, and so they should, that's two wickets down the gurgler in one match, Sahwag of all people. Now Ponting has dropped a catch two balls later.

northey

First Grade
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

you took my saying...

well not really......

mine goes

aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg

no h

northey

First Grade
hehehehehehewell we have to bat tomorrow

love how brett lee can't get them out he hits them in the head!!!