What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT: A question for Female fans

Iddylion

Juniors
I find that a lot of the time in real life, my opinion is discounted out of hand because I'm female, and obviously only watch the footy to perve on the blokes. I admit here that I'm human and have noticed Tahu is the best looking of the Knights and I secretly suspect that while all his mates are drinking gatoraide (terrible spelling I know.) Craig Wing is sipping on Ambrosia, but really they were just incidently discoveries caused by the fact I have a pulse.

I watch the game for the games sake. I know the rules, I can talk footy better than most of my male friends, and there's nothing I enjoy more than getting to a live match and screaming out to the ref or players at the top of my lungs. Also the whole New-Cast-Le chant is neat as well! That's why I watch the game. I get upset when tahu's injured because of the impact it has on the team, not because he's good looking.

Do you guys find that you have trouble getting taken seriously by men?

I should add here that after knowing more about their own team than they did won me grudging respect among the footy fans up home. Although they only call on my knowledge when being out talked by a stranger. It seems it's better to have a girl come to your rescue than to be beaten by an out of towner.

Iddy.

astrogirl

First Grade
LOL Iddy I agree with you totally.

I work in a sports mad office and it is often assumed that I have NFI. I don't know a great deal, but agree that it is often assumed that girls are only at the footy to perve on the guys.

Honestly, if that were the case I would go to AFL games!!!

Razor

Coach
The other way around people keep saying the only reason I watch netball is to perve on the girls. I watch it for the game, and the girls are a bonus.

Iddylion

Juniors
So it does go both ways. That's partially reassuring, and partially annoying. I don't think we'll ever break out of the gender stereotypes. You know, 45% of people who attend AFL matches are female. (sorry living in victoria these are the facts I hear most often), that's a huge chunk for a sport women aren't interested in.

On the bright side, at least you can understand what we mean Razor. BTW, my housemate is a Netball Ump. I, meanwhile, don't even know the rules. lol.

Iddy.

legallyblonde

Juniors
Girls werent even asked if they wanted to join the footy tipping at my work :evil: so definatley female opinions aren't taken seriously there.

I watch league because I love the game, i know the rules, enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy nothing more then a good game of footy!! Its just an advantage that some of the players arent to bad on the eyes ;-)

astrogirl

First Grade
legallyblonde said:
Girls werent even asked if they wanted to join the footy tipping at my work :evil: so definatley female opinions aren't taken seriously there.
That's terrible!!!

The guys here at my work have now worked out that I love the Knights - I'm actually one of the organisers here at work. Guess I'm lucky.

I love to chew the fat with my friend who is female.She is a mad dogs supporter
Sh ecan give as good as she gets about the knights and its great fun.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Razor said:
I watch it for the game, and the girls are a bonus.
That's my line :x :lol:
I watch footy becasue I love it... I find that when I met new guys they ask who is my fave player and I say Danny, and their why becasue his cute?. I say no because he has good vision, is quick off the mark, etc. ect. They get so surprised. My bro and I have great convo's about footy. I love just being at the game, the atmosphere, the game, the Knights.
But yes the fact that some of them are good looking is a very nice bonus. ;-) Were only human after all.

Tams

Juniors
I have to agree with everything that has been said. My guy friends all know by now that come footy season I'm "one of the boys". Yes, I do have the occasional perve, but I watch the game for the game.
As for tipping, I'm coming first in the work comp at the moment by 5 points. Admittedly that's due to a fluke perfect round but hey! :)

joey007

Juniors
I've been in charge of our office footy comp for the past 5 years and am currently tied for first with another female footy fan. :clap: Have to agree with everything being said...all my friends know i'm a huge footy fanatic and never miss a game from season start - end. Of course watching good looking lads playing your favourite sport is a bonus, :D but its the game i love.

MC DUI

Juniors
I wish my G/F was as much into the Footy as you guys. She just can't understand how I can watch all the games each weekend

~bedsy~

First Grade
I was seeing a guy for a couple of weeks that hated league... It was so weird as all I wanted to do was talk about footy, he wouldn't even go to a game with me. It was the wierdest thing ever. :|

Doctor

Bench
The women usually win any tipping competitions I'm in. Mind you, some of them picked their teams based on who had the better jersey colours or alternatively based on mascots i.e. a rooster would be eaten by a panther, a dragon would kill a horse, and a shark would eat an eel.

Thankfully, not all female tipsters are like this. There are some very insightful comments that come from female footy fans. In fact, a met some lovely ladies in the Knights' old grandstand a couple of years ago that had been supporting the Knights and paying for their season tickets even before the Knights entered the competition. These ladies knew what they were on about, and so too many other ladies I've met.

Stereotypes are hard to break, but I have nothing against women following rugby league - I think many male fans will realise that there are some very knowledable female footy followers frequently found fostering fruitful fanaticism fank you very much. How's that one for you Iddy?

northey

First Grade
i started watching footy when i was in 8 years old and i started watching because i thought it was intresting. although the first time i started watching it i was a bit confused.
i had been to games before but i was actually following my own team and the were doing alright

the_knights_rule

First Grade
I find that a lot of the time in real life, my opinion is discounted out of hand because I'm female, and obviously only watch the footy to perve on the blokes. I admit here that I'm human and have noticed Tahu is the best looking of the Knights and I secretly suspect that while all his mates are drinking gatoraide (terrible spelling I know.) Craig Wing is sipping on Ambrosia, but really they were just incidently discoveries caused by the fact I have a pulse.

I watch the game for the games sake. I know the rules, I can talk footy better than most of my male friends, and there's nothing I enjoy more than getting to a live match and screaming out to the ref or players at the top of my lungs. Also the whole New-Cast-Le chant is neat as well! That's why I watch the game. I get upset when tahu's injured because of the impact it has on the team, not because he's good looking.

Do you guys find that you have trouble getting taken seriously by men?

yes that exaclty how i feel and while i also agreee about noticing that tahu is the best looking guy in the team, thats not why he is one of my fave players.
i find that i know alot more about footy than most other guys i know too.

it doesnt help that im a teenager either cos people assume even more that i go to the games for the guys, which isnt true, i go there to watch the footy. another thing that doesnt help is when people ask who my fave player is i say andrew johns, as he my fave and people think :roll: prob the only player she knows but then when they get me talking bout the footy they realise that i do actually know a fair bit about the game.
one of my friends is a footy fanatic as well so that goods and footy is one of the things we talk about most, we talk about it so much that my otehr friends who dont like the footy end up knowing lots about the game and i have managed to turn quite a few of my mates in league fans (a few of them now follow the knights too 8) )

I wish my G/F was as much into the Footy as you guys. She just can't understand how I can watch all the games each weekend

i cant understand why people dont like the footy! its the best! :D

Risa

Bench
I started following football because my dad took me to a couple of games when I was younger. I started following Western Suburbs Magpies. Little did he know I'd grow up to know more about the game than him & follow a different team to him (he's now a Wests Tigers supporter). I can't talk about it with him though as he thinks I am obsessed.

I'd have to agree with you Iddy, some males I've come across, especially in an office, think females know nothing about the game and follow it for the hot guys. Yes, Newcastle has a nice good looking bunch of players but there's more to it for most. We go to games to appreciate the players busting their gut to play their hearts out for their team, and for the perve too! ;-)

m0j0

Bench
astrogirl said:
In our tipping comp if a chick goes well, the guys always insist it is a fluke!

I tend to think that if I'm winning the tipping comp, it's a fluke. Our work comp's currently being led by a woman, but I'm only one point behind...

Latest posts