What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT Antonios and Roopy re snow

mrford61

Juniors
Sounds as though you are both Lake Maquarie lads and in the 40+ generation so wondering if you could clarify something for me. I have vague memories from childhood of it snowing once on Mt Sugarloaf. I remember seeing the white from our house at Warners Bay and when our family tried to get up there traffic was banked up for miles so we turned around. I know as you get a bit older childhood memory and imagination overlap but I was confident of this till I bought it up recently and was told it never happened and was actually impossible due to altitude, temperatures etc.
Just curious more than anything.

roopy

Referee
It happened in the late 70s from memory, and it happened a few years, probably 77 and 79, and older people used to tell me that it had happened about every 15 years or so before that.
I've actually seen a photo from the 1950's of Dora Creek iced over and a duck walking on the ice. Apparently it was just a thin layer of ice and it broke up soon after the sun came up.

When I was a kid you couldn't grow Bananas anywhere around this district because heavy frosts killed them off every year, but they now grow everywhere and we only get very light frosts if any at all.

Ford, if you can get into the WEA office in Cooks Hill you can see a photo on their reception wall that has dates and everything of the day. Its been a while since I saw it myself, but it was an evening shot from the 70s.

antonius

Coach
Yep it was the mid 70's from memory, I was living in Holmesville at the time, which is fairly close to sugerloaf,and it snowed at our place.

mrford61

Juniors
Thanks for the confirmation, nice to know senility is not creeping in yet.
DMC, I would certainly like to see the photo,s but I left Newcastle in the early 80,s and now live in the N.T. This forum is my main contact with Newie now. The place still means a lot to me.
My son plays league up here and went to the Darwin U/17,s grand final a couple of weeks ago and met Joey, Danny Buderus and Mark Hughes who were guests.
Cheers to all

mrford61

Juniors
Original_Chook said:
You're all showing your age now... :lol: :lol:

Here's an indication, I played footy with Robbie Aubin ( the trainer that carried Robbio's nose off the field after Tiger's Robbie Beckett crunched him this year).

snapper

Juniors
Hey Mrford I use to sail against Robbie Aubin at Belmont, am just wondering if your an ex lakes united player.

mrford61

Juniors
Yes. Played for Lakes to U/18's.
Thats right , Robbie raced sailing boats as well, might still for all I know. A good little footballer too but only light and got knocked around a bit.