What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT-Australian of the Year

Alex28

Coach
as good as helping kids in india is, it does bugger all for australia which the australia day award is based on. i think surely there are more worthy recipients of such an award than a (extraordinarily well paid) lunatic tv star and a (very well paid) cricketer.

before saying steve waugh is a shoe-in for the award (because he retired from cricket this year? because he was doing his job as being captain of the squad?), have we even considered what the other nominees have done to gain their nomination?

knights04

Bench
Holding his child while feeding a crocodile has made more attention than his charitible efforts. Irwin is gorrrrne

Alex28

Coach
OK..here is a quick review:

Professor Judith Whitworth AC
Australian of the Year for Australian Capital Territory - Recipient

Judith Whitworth is the Director of the John Curtin School of Medical Research and the Howard Florey Professor of Medical Research at the Australian National University.

Steve Waugh AO
Australian of the Year for New South Wales - Recipient

Steve Waugh has played representative cricket for Australia since 1985, and is the current test captain.

Patricia Miller
Australian of the Year for Northern Territory - Recipient

Pat Miller has worked throughout her life to challenge racial discrimination and address the fundamental causes of the problems that beset many aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory.

Steve Irwin
Australian of the Year for Queensland - Recipient

An environmentalist, conservationist, naturalist, and animal lover, Steve Irwin is a unique Aussie character.

Mem Fox AM
Australian of the Year for South Australia - Recipient

An admired author, Mem Fox is best known as one of Australia's most popular children's book writers. Her famed Possum Magic sold over one million copies in its first ten years of publication and is still in hard-back.

Michael Kent AM
Australian of the Year for Tasmania - Recipient

Michael Kent has contributed significantly to Tasmanian business, economy, community, charity and sport. A former leading businessman in the retail industry he has been active in supporting business and lobbying government through the Food Industry Council and Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce.

Bernadette McMenamin
Australian of the Year for Victoria - Recipient

In 1993 Bernadette McMenamin founded and championed Child Wise Limited, a not for profit company which works towards the attainment of a world free from child exploitation, child sex abuse and child sex tourism.

Dr Fiona Wood AM
Australian of the Year for Western Australia - Recipient

In October 2002 Fiona Wood made headlines. She and her team treated badly burned Bali victims at the Royal Perth Hospital with spray on skin, her own medical breakthrough that is revolutionising burns treatment.

I'm sorry...but Fiona Wood has my vote over a paid sports star, an author who has made millions out of writing a book and a TV star.

Samwise

Bench
thanks for that alex, i hadn't heard of most of them.

having read that i would have to say fiona wood or bernadetter mcmenamin would be very much deserving recipients.

antonius

Coach
Alex28 said:
OK..here is a quick review:

Professor Judith Whitworth AC
Australian of the Year for Australian Capital Territory - Recipient

Judith Whitworth is the Director of the John Curtin School of Medical Research and the Howard Florey Professor of Medical Research at the Australian National University.

Steve Waugh AO
Australian of the Year for New South Wales - Recipient

Steve Waugh has played representative cricket for Australia since 1985, and is the current test captain.

Patricia Miller
Australian of the Year for Northern Territory - Recipient

Pat Miller has worked throughout her life to challenge racial discrimination and address the fundamental causes of the problems that beset many aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory.

Steve Irwin
Australian of the Year for Queensland - Recipient

An environmentalist, conservationist, naturalist, and animal lover, Steve Irwin is a unique Aussie character.

Mem Fox AM
Australian of the Year for South Australia - Recipient

An admired author, Mem Fox is best known as one of Australia's most popular children's book writers. Her famed Possum Magic sold over one million copies in its first ten years of publication and is still in hard-back.

Michael Kent AM
Australian of the Year for Tasmania - Recipient

Michael Kent has contributed significantly to Tasmanian business, economy, community, charity and sport. A former leading businessman in the retail industry he has been active in supporting business and lobbying government through the Food Industry Council and Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce.

Bernadette McMenamin
Australian of the Year for Victoria - Recipient

In 1993 Bernadette McMenamin founded and championed Child Wise Limited, a not for profit company which works towards the attainment of a world free from child exploitation, child sex abuse and child sex tourism.

Dr Fiona Wood AM
Australian of the Year for Western Australia - Recipient

In October 2002 Fiona Wood made headlines. She and her team treated badly burned Bali victims at the Royal Perth Hospital with spray on skin, her own medical breakthrough that is revolutionising burns treatment.

I'm sorry...but Fiona Wood has my vote over a paid sports star, an author who has made millions out of writing a book and a TV star.

Reading through them Alex I would go along with your sentiments up to a point, Yes there are other nominees just as deserving as Waugh or Irwin. I think the point made by someone that Waugh does a lot for the orphans of India rather than Australians is irrelevant, The fact is that the work he has done for them is a credit to him, and in the eyes of the Indian people and for that matter people around the world, he is a great ambassador for this country. Just because his deeds are carried out overseas doesn't make him any lesser a great Australian than any of the other nominees, nor does the fact that he has written books, and happens to be a paid sports star detract from that. Likewise Irwin, while he may be quirky, and madcap in peoples eyes, that doesn't change the fact that he has spent millions of his own money protecting wilderness areas and wild life world wide, he may be a TV star but again that shouldn't detract from his endevours outside of the limelight. His deeds worldwide also bring recognition to Australia, so he too is deserving of his nomination. Being a doctor, or a researcher doesn't automatically make you a more worthy nominee. I mean Waugh and Irwin could just sit back watch their money roll in and do nothing, what I'm trying to say(probably very badly) is being a recognisable identity who has an obvious high income shouldn't penalise people in these type of awards, that's the sort of message that comes through in some of the posts in this thread. Truth be known all the other nominees are tall poppies with high incomes also, it's just that they are not so well known.I think Waugh will win it, but I certainly wouldn't have a problem with any of them winning it.

Doctor

Bench
Kaz said:
I don't care who wins as long as the persons name is not Steve. :D

Good - then Stephen Waugh would get your full support. :lol:

NB: If you read the special Stephen Waugh edition of Inside Edge you'll know what I'm talking about. There is an article in there that talks about the fact that few people who know him call him 'Steve'. He was born as a 'Stephen', his family call him this, his friends, and most of his teammates. It seems that 'Steve' was the result of the media trying to make his name shorter and punchier.

From here on in, Stephen Waugh will be known as Stephen Waugh.

As for Australian of the Year - Stephen Waugh is the obvious choice because he has been Australia's most successful captain, a great Australian batsman, statistically one of the world's best batsmen for 2003 (4 centuries included) and a great ambassador for cricket, sport, Australia and humanity. His work in India further adds to his appeal.

northey

First Grade
steve waugh should win.....

ps.. can u make your pic smaller it is really annoying and too big

Doctor

Bench
northey said:
steve waugh should win.....

ps.. can u make your pic smaller it is really annoying and too big

Sorry, is it better now?
I was actually trying a few images out fully planning on making sure I finished with a smaller one - you just happened to load the page at the time I had a big one on there.

Is the current size o.k? (Steve Waugh's pull shot piccie)

northey

First Grade
Sorry, is it better now?
I was actually trying a few images out fully planning on making sure I finished with a smaller one - you just happened to load the page at the time I had a big one on there.

lol trust that to happen to me!!!!
umm yeah is it possible to make it a tad bit smaller??
but if not don't worry about it!!

Doctor

Bench
northey said:
Sorry, is it better now?

lol trust that to happen to me!!!!
umm yeah is it possible to make it a tad bit smaller??
but if not don't worry about it!!

Ha, well it is no wider than yours - :roll:
I take it if it is ever too big Tony or Roopy or someone will say something.

Alex28

Coach
i understand your point Tony...I mean the fact that Steve Waugh does heaps for India is great - in saying that his endorsements in India benefit from all of this work as well (such as his Bat Sponsor which features prominently in the Australia Day Awards picture) and I imagine he is being paid pretty well to be the tourism ambassador for India as well...

Steve Irwin as well - sure he is buying land to preserve environment and the like. I'm sure that land will be going up in value while he is owning it as well. It is probably quite an investment for his future depending what he chooses to do with it in the future - particularly along the eastern coastline...

I'm not saying they aren't worthy of the award - but i think there are other contestants in this rather than the ones in the spotlight.

Doctor

Bench
This is a test of sorts.....
The site has gone all funny today - debug messages all over the place, and the posts being made aren't showing up on the site - I'm just wondering whether to re-post things and assume they haven't gone up or whether to assume that it is only happening to me.

'Debug' - something about word matches??

Doctor

Bench
Nothing moving here - the forum is in some sort of comma I think.

Hello Forrumers!!
Awake from your slumber.
Break through the chains that hold you captive to technological misfortune

Awaken you instruments of communication - compute once more.

Razor

Coach
This is a test of sorts.....
The site has gone all funny today - debug messages all over the place, and the posts being made aren't showing up on the site - I'm just wondering whether to re-post things and assume they haven't gone up or whether to assume that it is only happening to me.

The same was happening to me last night. Not this morning when I post new messages, but I can't edit messages currently.

Doctor

Bench
Encurly said:
Oswin said:

Better than a full stop.

Yes, I would imagine it would be. :lol:

My only excuse is that the technical difficulties on Saturday had me frustrated to the point of losing control of spelling - well done by the way, I've always said you can correct my spelling at any point.

Encurly

Juniors
Oswin said:
Encurly said:
Oswin said:

Better than a full stop.

Yes, I would imagine it would be. :lol:

My only excuse is that the technical difficulties on Saturday had me frustrated to the point of losing control of spelling - well done by the way, I've always said you can correct my spelling at any point.

Nah, I usually let spelling mistakes slide. I just can't resist the opportunity for a bad pun.