What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - been to Bathurst?

astrogirl

First Grade
Has anyone ever been to Bathurst to see the V8 supercars? I'm thinking of going - I rather like cars and have never seen car racing live. I think it's something I should do at least once.

So the question is will I enjoy it? I don't drink beer, I don't really have a Holden or Ford allegiance (maybe Ford cos I love an underdog?), I have a short attention span. However I love cars but I'd probably rather be racing than watching :D

Sweeper

Juniors
Nah, Bathursrt is crap. Only cheap wine comes in 5 liters! The Premier State rally is much better... but if you want to see something amazing then go to Perth and see Rally Australia. Much better then the V8 pieces of crap going around and around the same circuit it just gets so f**king boring and not to mention the pace car.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

astrogirl

First Grade
Little Austin Powers said:
Nah, Bathursrt is crap. Only cheap wine comes in 5 liters! The Premier State rally is much better... but if you want to see something amazing then go to Perth and see Rally Australia. Much better then the V8 pieces of crap going around and around the same circuit it just gets so f***ing boring and not to mention the pace car.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thanks LAP. I'm not bothered by lack of alchohol options though, I don't need it to have a good time :D Not sure about Rally Australia. Is that the event that involves WRXs and Lancers tearing around a dirt track? (as per the pic in your sig?)

Nut, do you love or hate the fact that a zillion tourists turn up for one weekend?

Nut

Juniors
astrogirl said:
Nut, do you love or hate the fact that a zillion tourists turn up for one weekend?

Love that they are there for the races... and mostly stay outta everyones way. Hate the excessive parades and traffic and stuff.

Doctor

Bench
Why watch cars driving round and round in circles?
The cars are going at 150km/h or something more, and people sit there and watch them drive around ???

The lead rarely changes, there is little or no tactics to be seen by the naked eye, and yet people sit down and watch it - or watch it on t.v ??

Maybe I'm ignorant of the activity, but just like horse racing, I question whether it can be considered a sport when the car (or the horse) does all the work.

But some people are really passionate about it - I find it quite funny actually. :lol: :lol:

Nut

Juniors
Original_Chook said:
but just like horse racing, I question whether it can be considered a sport when the car (or the horse) does all the work.

True, but without a jockey or driver the car or horse would be useless in a race.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bathurst is a huge weekend. Get in to the place early and whatever you do don't leave. Don't drive a four cylinder car up to the top of the mountain parking as a few have been ceremoniously destroyed over the years.

Fantastic atmosphere......

astrogirl

First Grade
Original_Chook said:
Maybe I'm ignorant of the activity, but just like horse racing, I question whether it can be considered a sport when the car (or the horse) does all the work.

But some people are really passionate about it - I find it quite funny actually. :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure if I consider it a sport either though it does require drivers to have endurance and skill.

That said, I do have my suspicions that it could be boring. And long. I have a relatively short attention span so that could be a problem. I am also concerned about Colonel Eel's comment re 4 cylinder cars :shock:

I think I am leaning towards not going. Maybe I should go go-kart racing instead.

Samwise

Bench
heres a tip, put your money on holden. a friend of mine works as an engineer for team larkham, he reckons who wins is mostly dependant on how much money that team has. holden are tonnes richer than ford so i wouldn't be surprised to see skaify take the prize.

Pumba

First Grade
Ill be there so if ya going let us know and we should all me up :?:

Cheers,
Pumba

Doctor

Bench
I'm not sure if I consider it a sport either though it does require drivers to have endurance and skill.

Oh I don't doubt that - you have to be a very good driver too, I wish I could handle a car that well.

But as a spectator sport, it really lacks excitement. The start and the finish would be exciting, but imagine sitting for hours on end waiting during the in-between time.....
:-s

Jedda

Juniors
BATHURST!!!!!!!

Yeah baby! I'd remove a limb for the chance to get to Bathurst.

Instead I have to settle for our annual gathering of friends grouped round the TV, drinking beer and eating pizza while watching hours of motor-racing.

Apart from the Knights winning the Grand Final, I can't think of anyplace I'd rather be!

A word of warning, DON'T go anywhere near the mountain. I've heard from staunch truck-driver (male) friends of mine who were shocked at the behaviour of the fans on the Mountain. Definately not a place for females (of any description).

Alex28

Coach
I've been to Bathurst a few times - it's a toughie...

If you dont like Beer and Drunks - dont go to the top of the mountain. It's pretty bloody rough up there. I dont know whether it would be too late to get grandstand seating on the main straight but the main straight is pretty bloody boring any way. First corner is the go - great fun but you need to get there EARLY!

Facilities are average at Bathurst and the punters dont really get a fair go there. I mean they only just got big screens at the track in the last few years. Compared to F1 and Rall Australia it really is a poor mans race.

If you want speed and noise - Australian Grand Prix is the go. I've been the last 5 years - the last 2 years in the Jones Stand between the first and second corners (was absolutely insane in 2002 with the huge crash on the first corner and Webber finishing 5th). If you like go-carting, this is more like it.

Rally Australia was worth the trip but there is only so much you get to see which is a shame. The special stages are cool and all but in reality it isnt really what rallying is all about.

Go the Peugeot's!

Dont get me wrong - Bathurst is great and I'll be watching the whole deal and then Japan F1 straight after. It's a great race. I think there are better options is all...

yeh_yeh_

Juniors
bathurst is pretty good.

the roar of a holden v8 coming down conrod is sick!

only go up the mountain during the day with someone (especially if ur a chick).

if u can get a pass to go into the pits because it is so interesting to see what goes on down there!

the toilets are pretty ordinary and the food is heaps expensive.

on sunday if u go to see the first couple of laps at the start/finish get there early because it gets packed!

after the race has finished you can drive your car around it at 60km/h!

yeh_yeh_

Juniors
Jedda said:
BATHURST!!!!!!!

A word of warning, DON'T go anywhere near the mountain. I've heard from staunch truck-driver (male) friends of mine who were shocked at the behaviour of the fans on the Mountain. Definately not a place for females (of any description).

the mountain isn't as bad as you described it. if the gals go with a guy they won't bother you. besides they are to interested in the racing. just don't make eye contact. at night the let of hot air balloons made from garbage bags then when they go home some of them burn their lounge chairs so they don't have to take them home.

Sweeper

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Go the Peugeot's!
:shock: Shame on you. :shock:

Langly park isn't true rallying... but Sotico is :)

And the V8's do seem to attract the dickheads. Apparently they will torch any car that stalls on the burnout pad... no matter if it's a brand new clubsport or fpv... just an excuse for a bunch of wankers to gather imo

Ambrose
ford.gif
to win with his marvellous
logo.gif
Havoline engine oil!

Alex28

Coach
i'm going to be a little torn next year - Richard Burns has been my fave driver but i've been a pug supporter for ages - i have a 206 GTi as well...

but next year Richard is off to the axis of evil Subaru...he'll be more at home there i guess...sad none the less...

astrogirl

First Grade
Alex28 said:
Facilities are average at Bathurst and the punters dont really get a fair go there. I mean they only just got big screens at the track in the last few years. Compared to F1 and Rall Australia it really is a poor mans race.
For some reason the V8s have always appealed to me more than F1. Probably the reason for this is that I like the fact that (on the outside at least) Fords and Holdens are real cars that you see on the streets and driven by real people. F1 seems a little removed from reality to me though I can see why they appeal to others - they perform better/faster after all. I love driving fast (when I can get away with it), but I prefer driving my own little car than someone else's sportscar simply because I know my own car's limits - I guess that's another reason why the "reality" of V8s appeals more to me.

yeh_yeh_ said:
Jedda said:
BATHURST!!!!!!! (

the mountain isn't as bad as you described it. if the gals go with a guy they won't bother you. besides they are to interested in the racing. just don't make eye contact.

I find it ridiculous that I (as a girl) should go with a group of guys just so I won't be bothered! If I were to go I would be going with guys but that's not the point - I am tougher than some guys I know and I find it offensive that I might "need" their presence.

yeh_yeh_ and Jedda, I appreciate the fact that you're giving me reasonable warning - just having a rant about female/male inequality, difference in treatment, or whatever (I'm not articulating myself very well)

MC DUI

Juniors
astrogirl said:
I find it ridiculous that I (as a girl) should go with a group of guys just so I won't be bothered! If I were to go I would be going with guys but that's not the point - I am tougher than some guys I know and I find it offensive that I might "need" their presence.

Just go Astrogirl AND KILL EM ALL!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts