What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - newcastleknights.com.au forum Updates.

Doctor

Bench
Yeah there's an idea - Kaz as a moderator.

And you thought we had legal problems now..... :roll: ;-)

B.L.L.G

Retired
Antonius

Were living in sensitive times ey?

You cant speak your mind any more unless some fool is objecting to your comments.

Free speech doesnt exist no more.
Were losing our rights in our own free country.

Tony you saying that it was some thing racial thats motivated this whole debarcle?

Wonder who said it.

Hope it wasn`t that thing i said years ago about coon cheese.

Wonder who the culprit is.

C`mon confess! who said racial apathys only recently?

Im in the clear cause i wasn`t there in the last week it closed down.

I NEVER posted one message the week it closed down!

Does any one know who it might have been?

Tony you have any idea?

This is serious isnt it?

B.L.L.G

Retired

And what about the racial apathys that YOU contributed!

Your to blame as well.

I NEVER posted in the last week before it closed down so it was some thing YOU said fool

Terminator

First Grade
Yeah it was me UT, I'm as guilty as sin, the whole thing was a gigantic conspiracy cooked up by yours truly, get a new shrink, the one your paying now is fleecing you. Dumbarse! :lol:

Doctor

Bench
From what I gather, and this is my own understanding, it was due to comments about conspiracies and opinions of an offensive nature presented as fact.

If it is the issue I think it is, then the issue had been going on for a while and attempts were made to remove posts/individuals pushing such rumours.

I actually think it is a reflection of the moderation of the site. Wayne has done a great job at moderating, but his workload means he often was only able to scan through generally or work off emails and complaints from fellow forum members.

It got to a stage where, although the forum was relatively tame, it may have become difficult to monitor all the areas of the forum.
Essentially you can't protect against someone coming on and saying anything they like unless your filtering everything that is posted.

I could say I'm actually the manifestation of Alexander the Great's spirit and that I've been secretly funding the NRL in exchange for salary cap exemptions for Newcastle - it doesn't matter if I don't have evidence because I've just posted it (in theory) and people can begin reading it. Whether my post is removed after 5 minutes or 5 days doesn't matter - it has been 'published' or at least distributed to people. The implications of what I say are enormous if I can't substantiate my "facts" which in themselves are fallacious rumours likely to harm many individuals and entities.

That is, it seems, both the power and potential abuse of the internet, especially forums. I just hope that this kind of thing is cracked down on for everyone's benefit.

knightshines

Juniors
"Ok the knights admin have rocks in their heads for pulling our forum off, i get that, but the solution is so simple. .... what they have at tafe is a LEGAL DISCLAMER"

agreed!.
Common-sense needs to prevail. Unfortunately, not many Lawyers have common sense. Ok, Sue me! :roll:
If they are going to push this issue then every Newsgroup and Messageboard there is might close down. Newsgroups come with no disclaimer but many web site forums and chat (including MSN Groups and Chat servers) have them. Sensoring or excluding posts before they appear is not practical - to make it "suitable" you woudl need a Solictor doing it. Even then it isn't a solution. Throw up a Disclaimer - simple.
I only occasionally browse these and the Newcastle forums and this is my first post but if a submission needs to be made then I'll be in it. I've been involved in Newsgroups and support forums for enough years (and am noe internationally recognised for it) to know that this decision is ill-founded.

antonius

Coach
I recieved this from Wayne this morning.

Tony,

Sorry, no further news. The matter is still with our solicitors.

At this stage the only solution would be for me to personally review each
message before it's posted - which isn't really practical. This is the
solution the Eels have taken.

When I have a further update I'll let you know.

Regards,

Wayne

So sadly ATM nothing has really changed.

Doctor

Bench
Doesn't sound like improvements are on the way - even if the forum does come back in a restricted format, it will probably lose its popularity.

If anything I'm still cranky I'm yet to receive anything from the Knights by way of correspondance regarding my first email. It is poor public relations at the very best, and sincerely ignorant of the public at its worst.

The snail mail will be in today's snail mail - not happy Jan. :(

antonius

Coach
Original_Chook said:
Doesn't sound like improvements are on the way - even if the forum does come back in a restricted format, it will probably lose its popularity.

If anything I'm still cranky I'm yet to receive anything from the Knights by way of correspondance regarding my first email. It is poor public relations at the very best, and sincerely ignorant of the public at its worst.

The snail mail will be in today's snail mail - not happy Jan. :(
I know what you mean Chook, I sent emails to the admin address and haven't had a reply either. I guessed Conways email address which wasn't rocket science, but at least he had the decency to reply. Waynes been good with updates. Maybe the admin think that Waynes handling it all?

kaon

Juniors
Untouchable said:

And what about the racial apathys that YOU contributed!

Your to blame as well.

I NEVER posted in the last week before it closed down so it was some thing YOU said fool

What are you talking about; I never did any of that. :evil:

I just realised that less than 1% of this forum would know what I'm talking about. :(

IanG

Coach
Yeah they said something about the whole thing on the Saturday Sport Network Radio Program today, They had a talk with David Tapp (Souths CEO) about it this afternoon.

Doctor

Bench
Maybe the admin think that Waynes handling it all

I think you have a point there Antonius. I'm yet to receive any reply or any indication of a reply from the initial email. I would have thought that if an email address was no longer valid that they would remove it from the website.

As for the snail-mail - I'll give it till the end of this week for an indication from Mr Conway. I have no issues as yet with the board, Conway or anyone else for that matter. But it would be nice if they answered their emails and responded to their snailmail.

Hopefully the old P.R department or else Mr Conway's office itself, will be in full-swing soon. It is almost to a point of no return though - the forum has been off for a while now, and still no indication of what, if anything, has progressed.

astrogirl

First Grade
Original_Chook said:
It is almost to a point of no return though - the forum has been off for a while now, and still no indication of what, if anything, has progressed.

Yes it's really quite ordinary isn't it. I received an email response from Wayne saying "The future of the forum is under review, hopefully should have a decision on its future early this week." That was on Sunday 31 August i.e. the Sunday before last, and I have heard no news since then.

It got me thinking about what would happen if by some miracle the Knights website forum managed to resurrect itself - would anyone return? or are there others (like me) who would think twice about returning given the way we have been kept in the dark, regardless of how much we liked the old forum?

antonius

Coach
astrogirl said:
It got me thinking about what would happen if by some miracle the Knights website forum managed to resurrect itself - would anyone return? or are there others (like me) who would think twice about returning given the way we have been kept in the dark, regardless of how much we liked the old forum?
That's a very good point, the longer it stays down the less likely the people are to return. Mind you the longer it's down the less likely it is to return.

Doctor

Bench
In the meantime, as I've said already, the Knights are either losing money from sponsorship or else not advising their sponsors that their website would be receiving monumentally less traffic - considerably less, I'd estimate it would be about 1/5th of what it was.

Just a quick perusal around the now deserted Knights website made me realise it isn't just affiliated sponsors who advertise on the site. Minor sponsors, and even unrelated businesses have advertisements on the site.

To name a few I saw:

xbox - this one IS affiliated to the NRL
Rebel Sport - not an official sponsor, yet their advertisements are widespread throughout the site.
sportingbet.com.au - not an official sponsor, yet they too have several places of advertising.
Legends Genuine Memorabilia - not a sponsor, yet they also have a number of ads.

I'm neither playing down nor juicing up these facts about sponsors - the fact is that if I were a business that signed up to advertising on a website with 'x' amount of traffic each week then I'd want to know if that figure was reduced by 20%, certainly 40%, but especially if a popular section of the site is shut down.

Maybe actual traffic statistics can be found, but my estimations point to about 1/5th of the previous traffic.

The Knights are doing one of two things:
* They've told their sponsors that there is less traffic and therefore either reduced their sponsorship prices or the sponsors aren't that worried about less traffic.
or
* They're hiding the fact that their main source of traffic is now gone, and therefore deceiving their sponsors by not telling them.

Harsh judgement, but I can really see no other scenarios - it isn't a wise business or ethical move in either case.

misty

Juniors
:cry: Its completely goooooooorne now I put my pointer on the link today and it said "THIS PAGE NO LONGER EXIST"

She's gone down like the TITANIC! no lives were lost just all our post counts.

Doctor

Bench
If you access it from the mainpage, the link still works - the same message is displayed:

"The Forum is currently offline.
After some .....etc ...etc"

But it has sunk - and I doubt it will be back - such a good forum that no longer exists.
Ah, the air of nostalgia - so sad, yet one must move on.