What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - Newcastleknights .com

antonius

Coach
Hey guys, anyone know what the go is with the newcastleknights .com forum?
The site has been down for a couple of days, Wayne Herring the moderator has said they are reveiwing its future. Just wondered if anyone on here knows anything?

Matt23

Staff member
Apparently it's down for the rest of the season...but dont quote me on that, just something i read at crusaders site.

antonius

Coach
Matt23 said:
Apparently it's down for the rest of the season...but dont quote me on that, just something i read at crusaders site.
Do you know why Matt? I thought it might have been something to do with the goings on at WORL.

roopy

Referee
It is sad that this is going on - sites going off air at the worst possible time I mean.
The American section of grandstand went off air the week the best game in American history was to be played, the grandfinal for 2003, and the internet really has become the way to follow US League.

I think it is a shame that people see the legal issues as a problem. The internet is accessed by billions of people and the sites for everything from quilt making to mass murder number in the millions, and because Ray Hadley says so, only RL seems to think there is a problem with people having a say.

I hope this site and the footy show site can fill the gap for a while. totalrl is still going strong as well i suppose, but i haven't looked in there for a while.

antonius

Coach
Hey Roopy.

Wedge 3210 mailed me and was saying the NRL are not happy about clubs having official forums, something about breeding violence between fans!! which seems a bit over the top if it's true. Guess you might see a lot of former posters from there on this site in future. Although nothing official has been said by Wayne yet, the longer it's down the less likely it seems that it'll return, he was going to get back to me when he knew what was happening.

roopy

Referee
antonius said:
Hey Roopy.

Wedge 3210 mailed me and was saying the NRL are not happy about clubs having official forums, something about breeding violence between fans!! which seems a bit over the top if it's true. Guess you might see a lot of former posters from there on this site in future. Although nothing official has been said by Wayne yet, the longer it's down the less likely it seems that it'll return, he was going to get back to me when he knew what was happening.
Thanks for the info, although it is a shame we got no warning.
If I had known it was going down I'd have cut and pasted a lot of stuff over to here and let people know this place existed.

antonius

Coach
I,ve sent the addy to a couple of the members there so who knows you may see some hem soon.

Parki

Bench
Hello all

Im mad. Mad that they have taken away the forum that i have posted in every day for the last 2 years, without any reason or logic behind it. You would think that we as the forum members should be entitled to a say in what the hell is going on over there, not just having them pull it without so much as a reason WHY. To say im annoyed in the least would be an understatement, I can only hope that a sufficient reason is put forward and soon, because its pretty lousy of the board or admin or whoever pulled this stunt to just leave us out in the cold. We are the fans who put the money into the club, who are there every week. We do not deserve to be treated like this. I know some of you will say its only a forum, get over it, but lets be honest. Is it just a forum when you post there every single day for the last 2 years? When people rely on it for information about the club that we love? it was built up to be something special, not something to just be pulled with NO REASON or EXPLANATION behind it. Not good enough.

roopy

Referee
It stinks when a site disappears - not that I have given up hope on the Knights site coming back.
So many brilliant posts and great threads just cease to exist, which is criminal IMO.
What I have started to do is to put posts I am proud of into 'Word' and save them on my computer.
I have about 50 of my best posts saved now, and many of them have gone, along with the entire sites, from where I originally posted them.
I also save some posts from other people, both good and bad, for future reference and possible use (so watch out all those who flame me).

Parki

Bench
Hey Roopy is there anywhere I can put my stories/poems on this site? like a community forum? I dont want to inflame anyone in here :p

roopy

Referee
Parki said:
Hey Roopy is there anywhere I can put my stories/poems on this site? like a community forum? I dont want to inflame anyone in here :p
The 'Firkin fun bar' near the bottom of the main page is the home of all things fun, but i think most people would be happy to see them in the Knights section. Anything related to the Knights is good here as far as I am concerned.

There are also sections such as 'four corners' for discussion of current affairs, and sections for other sports like boxing and soccer etc.

These all tend to be used a lot in the off season.

This site is the old LWOS site moved over to a new format a few months ago.

In the last few years the LWOS site has developed a reputation as the best off season site, because we all move to other topics, rather than endlessly covering the same ground. This site should only drop a few hundred posts a week during the off season - probably down from 1500 or so to 1300 or so, but most of the activity will be in the cricket, fun and current affairs sections.

Parki

Bench
LWOS? It looks a lot like the old world of rugby league site well at least the forum does

what does LWOS stand for youll have to excuse my stupidity

roopy

Referee
Parki said:
LWOS? It looks a lot like the old world of rugby league site well at least the forum does

what does LWOS stand for youll have to excuse my stupidity

OK, This is a long and involved history lession.

First there was a site called 'World of Rugby League' run by MattO on the nineMSN forums.

About three years ago certain posters, myself included, got the shits with WORL because they formed a link with the 'Footy show', which attracted many thousands of posters known by all as 'Girdler girls', who had nothing to talk about but who the cutest player might be.

About half of the frequent posters on WORL went off to form another ninemsn community called Legends World of Sport (LWOS), which turned out to be a great community with a very civil and constructive level of discussion.

MattO and his associates saw that there was no future in the 'footy show' link and moved to a new community they named 'Grandstand' which had a new and better format. It is also sometimes called WORL and rl.com.

Meanwhile, the LWOS community basically stayed the same size while the new Grandstand community grew and grew. The LWOS moderators decided that the site was standing still because Grandstand had a better format, so the decision was made to move to a similar format, while keeping many of the good sections of LWOS like 'go ahead... ask us anything' and the 'RL quiz' game.

To put it all into a nutshell, the difference is that this site is run by people who like to operate on a 'responsible adult' principal, rather than the 'petulant headmaster' approach of WORL.

We hope that the overall effect is that people act like adults rather than children. It seems to work.

antonius

Coach
Welcome Parki, I was hoping you would turn up along with Tim, Risa and your gang, I emailed as many people as I had addresses for to tell them about this site, so if you have any more can you let them know. There's no reason this section of this site cannot be made as good as the old one, and the Firkin Bar could be used much the same as the old community section. Great to have you here Buddy.

antonius

Coach
Parki said:
Don't see why you couldn't put them in here Parki, they are after all Knights related.

antonius

Coach
Send it to any others you know Misty, sorry MIA, having trouble with that name already. LOL.

misty

Juniors
:lol: I get confused myself, I have so many user names I lose track of who I am :lol:

Doctor

Bench
Whelp, I've arrived - rather reluctantly I might add, but this has been a mess and I'm looking for a place to express myself to people who will actually listen (still no response from the Knights about the Forum's future).

How are we all? I'm about as peeved as this fellow here ---> :x , but then again it's just a forum right? As Parki said, some of us were at that forum for quite some time (I'm probably the longest-running member of those who post regularly), but yet it has all gone down the metaphorical plughole.

It doesn't say much for the NRL or indeed the Knights if petty issues like P.R between the clubs have come into their thinking - since when has the NRL cared about not stuffing things up?

Anyhow here I am, hopefully we'll get some serious discussion happening somewhere, even if we have to move again - it's a shame that all the email addresses of people have gone down with the forum - I still think the Knights need to help the online fans out by sending an group email on their behalf to let people know what is happening, and where discussion can be had. Very selfish of them if they don't.

Hope we're all well - :?

Latest posts