What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- What Are You Reading?

Terminator

First Grade
SydneySwan said:
bedsy said:
I'm trying to read The Hobbit, however I just have so much stuff to do with TAFE and the usual house type of stuff. I find it hard to find time to sit and read.

I've read The Hobbit. Hated it. But then again, my English teacher made us read it in year 8! But The Lord of the Rings trilogy is awesome!! :D
If you want to get to sleep fast then I recommend nothing better than the of the LOTR books, movies great, books- YAWN

bluesbreaker

Bench
First book of LOTR is pretty boring (honestly, where the hell was he going with all that shit about Tom Bombadil? What relevance does it have? It's wonderful that a Maiar is chilling around Bree, but really...), second and third are both great.

Right now, i'm reading A Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey (read it before, great book) and Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If you're a fantasy fan but don't want the excessive detail of Tolkien's work I'd recommend either

Robin Hobb's 'Liveship Traders' or 'Assassin Trilogy' (both three book series) OR Glen Cook's 'The Black Company'. The latter is ten books long, but it's almost all action and a far cry from the norm of the genre.

Munky

Coach
chriswalkerbush said:
Has anyone read The DaVinci Code? I noticed it's been #1 or thereabouts on the Australian bestseller list for a while now, and it's only $15 at my local bookstore. Was thinking of snare it tomorrow.

It's a top read and the movie will be interesting.

I had a poor showing over the uni break...i only read Deavers the stone monkey. I went away....yeah thats my excuse. I usually load up on the books too. Usually really pathetic books like jackie collins.

I read the Stone Monkey as well, I also read The Vanishing man which I thought was better.

Actually, to be topical, maybe check out 'The Bourne Identity' by Robert Ludlum. Even if you've seen the movie, it's a very good book, and quite a bit different. Bourne (in the novels) is a great dark hero. Not a nice guy at all.

The first book in the trilogy is good but I got about half way through The Bourne Supremacy and gave up.

Anybody else read Wilbur Smith? I highly recommend Birds of Prey and its two immediate sequals.

Terminator

First Grade
Munky said:
Anybody else read Wilbur Smith? I highly recommend Birds of Prey and its two immediate sequals.

Birds of Prey is one of his best, it got a bit lost in the second sequal I thought, if its real bloke action, no bullshit you like to read about, read Wilbur Smith, storys are very interesting, exciting, humourous and at times sad.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I didn't mind The Bourne Supremacy, although it was a little bit too detailed at times. I found myself skipping a page or two here and there. The movie should be awesome, from what I'm hearing.

Who's involved with The DaVinci Code movie?

axie

Juniors
Slowing working my way through Mein Kampf - Hitler's book first published in 1925. Apart from that numerous uni books.

Terminator

First Grade
I tried to read Mein Kampf, but it was like wading through quicksand, by comparison it made LOTR incredibly interesting to read.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Hey fosie, what do you think of Prey so far? I snared it for $10 at a local bookstore. Not Crichton's finest work by any stretch, but definitely had its positive points. I personally found the initial paranoia about the protagonist's wife having an affair far more interesting than the 'technology is evil' storyline.

~bedsy~

First Grade
axie said:
Slowing working my way through Mein Kampf - Hitler's book first published in 1925. Apart from that numerous uni books.
Yeah I have been reading books about William Dobell for my essay. I know more about this man than he knew about himself I think :lol:

I'm now half way through Reggies book and I want to get Jessica by Bryce Courtney (sp?)

axie

Juniors
William Dobell ... Didn't he start life in Cooks Hill before moving to Sydney to work as an apprentice architect?

I tried to read Mein Kampf, but it was like wading through quicksand, by comparison it made LOTR incredibly interesting to read.

The grammar is painful at times, but I promised myself that I'd finish it one day ...

~bedsy~

First Grade
axie said:
William Dobell ... Didn't he start life in Cooks Hill before moving to Sydney to work as an apprentice architect?

Yes... he ended up living in Wangi after the whole archibald debarcle.

Munky

Coach
Terminator said:
Whats the Da Vinci code like Fosie, everyone is talking about that book.

It's top quality but is the exact same as Dan Brown's previous novel Angels and Demons which involved the same main character.

It follows the exact same template.