What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Ensane

Juniors
ducks have done well with the addition of koivu to center selanne. whilst im not a fan of the ducks i like almost everything they have done this offseason. they got a great return for pronger.

I'd pencil in the flyers to have a real good run at it, their only question remains in goal with the headcase emery.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
LOL

Speaking of the Flyers, Pronger's contract is being investigated, as is Hossa's at the Blackhawks.

Not sure what else is going on with Hudler's contract either, is he staying or is he going overseas?!?!

Ensane

Juniors
pretty sure hudlers going to russia for the money for two years. think he had the option of 5 mil a year in russia or under 3 in the nhl.

yeah not quite sure why Prongers contract is getting investigated- i think the flyers screwed themselves there mistaking he signed a contract before the age of 35.. the probs with Hossa is that his contract has a couple of fluff years on the back end that takes him past 40. it significantly lowers his cap hit and of course he will be retired by then. but i think the NHL's investigation is only to see if early retirement was talked about..

leads me to question why is there an 'investigation' now when the NHL first has to intially approve the contract?

anyway all this crap is the Red Wings fault! getting franzen and zetterberg to those nice contracts, showed the way for other less smart teams..

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=463457

Red Wings sign Eaves to one-year deal
Tuesday, 08.04.2009 / 3:37 PM / 2009 NHL Offseason News
NHL.com
The Detroit Red Wings announced today that the club has signed free agent forward Patrick Eaves to a one-year contract. In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Originally a first round pick (29th overall) of the Ottawa Senators in the 2003 National Hockey League Entry Draft, Eaves has played in 242 career games with the Senators and the Carolina Hurricanes. He scored 20 goals in just 58 games in 2005-06, his rookie season in the NHL. Eaves followed his impressive debut with career highs in assists (18) and points (32) in 2006-07. On February 11, 2008, Eaves was dealt with Joe Corvo to the Hurricanes in exchange for Cory Stillman and Mike Commodore. In 85 games with Carolina over the past two seasons, he posted 19 points (7-12-19).

In 2005, Eaves was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award as the top player in college hockey. He played three seasons with the Boston College Eagles of Hockey East.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
ducks have done well with the addition of koivu to center selanne. whilst im not a fan of the ducks i like almost everything they have done this offseason. they got a great return for pronger.

I'd pencil in the flyers to have a real good run at it, their only question remains in goal with the headcase emery.
They have done very well, probably the best out of any team this off season.
Had they had the second line scoring last season, they could have gone alot further.
The signing of Koivu is going to do wonders for the team. He and Teemu on the second line and perry, getzlaf and ryan on the first is going to be awesome to watch.

May have lost pronger and beauchemin, but when you have scott niedermayer on the blue line you can partner him with any defender and he will make them look good. Whitney and wisnewski are also top defenders. Good season for the ducks coming up.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
From NHL.com

2010 Winter Classic announcement coming Monday

Friday, 08.14.2009 / 1:46 PM / 2010 Bridgestone/NHL Winter Classic
NHL.com
NEW YORK – The National Hockey League will make an announcement regarding important information for all fans interested in the 2010 Bridgestone/NHL Winter Classic® on Monday, Aug. 17 approximately at Noon ET. The announcement will be posted at www.nhl.com/winterclassic.

The NHL's annual outdoor game will return on New Year's Day with the Boston Bruins hosting the Philadelphia Flyers at Fenway Park -- home of the Boston Red Sox -- in the 2010 Bridgestone/NHL Winter Classic®. The Eastern Conference rivals will face-off at 1 p.m., ET in the Classic, which received the SportsBusiness Journal "Sports Event of the Year" award for its inaugural edition in 2008.

Bridgestone brand will return as the title sponsor, showcasing its status as the Official Tire of the NHL® and the National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) to a broadening viewing audience. Last season's 2009 Bridgestone/NHL Winter Classic attracted 5.6 million North American TV viewers and gathered more than 750,000 visitors on NHL.com. The 2009 event at Chicago's Wrigley Field drew 41,818 to the historic ballpark, with demand for tickets exceeding 240,000.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Also from NHL.com

More NHL players find summer is for sweating

Friday, 08.14.2009 / 11:04 AM / NHL Insider
By John McGourty - NHL.com Staff Writer
"It's a lot more in-depth than that now. We have skating coaches and everything is hockey specific. It doesn't resemble anything like what I was doing before I retired."
-- Tampa Bay GM Brian Lawton

If your image of an NHL player during the summer involves sun, surf and sand, you've got it wrong, very wrong.

While spending the summer in the sun might have been true 20 years ago, it no longer holds water. Why? As we speak, NHL players are hitting gyms and rinks around the world to prepare for the September training camps that precede the 2009-10 season.

"Training camp is very short now compared to the past, and you have to be ready to go right away," Tampa Bay Lightning General Manager Brian Lawton said. "In my first years as a pro, Willi Plett never even took his equipment home for the summer and he never skated. My training routine was I'd walk all summer ... I didn't use the golf cart!

"It's a lot more in-depth than that now. We have skating coaches and everything is hockey specific. It doesn't resemble anything like what I was doing before I retired."

In today’s NHL, there's no such thing as getting ready in training camp. Now, players have to come to camp ready to go.

"You have to be ready right out of the chute," Buffalo Sabres right wing Mike Grier said. "The coaches expect you to be ready to perform at a high level right away. The first day of camp is medical testing, the next day we're on the ice, scrimmaging at a high level, and by the fourth day, we usually have an exhibition game. You better be ready or there's a good chance of injury.

"I do about 100 days of training before training camp and that's a good amount. I tell guys that if they can't get into shape in three months, they're doing something wrong in there."

NHL teams are barred by the collective-bargaining agreement from directing players during the summer -- but they can, and do, make suggestions to players about how to prepare for the upcoming season.

"We give them a booklet and they can be in contact with the strength and conditioning coach," Lawton said. "Each player's program is tailored and there is a high level of participation from our athletes. All the players maintain the ability to do what they want, but I find our guys lean on strength and conditioning coach Chuck Lobe and (consultant) Kevin Ziegler a tremendous amount for advice and direction.

"They e-mail back and forth, but the players are on the honor system. Then we do a lot of testing at training camp. There's no hiding from it. Players have the responsibility to show up in tip-top shape. They want to be training the way we want them to."

There are hockey-centric summer programs all over North America. In Los Angeles, T.R. Goodman gained considerable fame through his offseason work with Chris Chelios, 47, a free-agent this summer who is the oldest active player and has played the most games of anyone who was active in 2008-09. It would be hard for Goodman to find a better form of advertising -- and many players have flocked to him.

Minnesota Wild forward Martin Havlat returned this month to Montreal, where he's been following the same conditioning program for most of his career.

"I've been working out with a group of guys that I've worked out with the past five or six years in Westmount, Montreal," Havlat said. "The program is led by Paul Gagne and we have a lot of guys from the Czech Republic -- Milan Michalek, Michael Frolik and Ondrej Pavelec. Zbynek Michalek is here most years, but he's back home in Czech Republic with his wife and new baby. There're a lot of other guys too, like Derick Brassard from the Blue Jackets and my new teammate, Pierre-Marc Bouchard.

"Each player's program is individually tailored by Gagne at the start of the summer. He asks us about our injuries and where we need to improve. Then he makes some guys stronger, some heavier, some faster and some quicker.

"The staff works as a team and we get everything we need, on and off the ice. That's why we come here. We feel we are ready for the year after training here. No one in this group has had any trouble with any of our training camps, we're ready to go. I like it here because there are no distractions, like back home. That's another reason to come here.

"We do a lot of training, indoors and out. It's a good mix and we start about five or six weeks before training camp. It's a tough six weeks but it's worth it because you don't have a lot of time for training during the season because there are so many games and we're flying everywhere."

Grier spoke to NHL.com from Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning in Winchester, Mass., north of Boston. Grier has been training with Boyle since he attended Boston University from 1993-96, where Boyle headed the school's strength and conditioning program.

"Our philosophy is not built so much around oxygen-carrying capability as it is the ability to play the game, the ability to exist in that rest-to-work ratio that is hockey," Boyle told NHL.com. "It's an interesting game because it's the only one where people are regularly going from playing to sitting down to playing again within a short period of time. In all the other sports, between plays, guys are standing around or walking. In hockey, they literally go sit down. That's a unique aspect to ice hockey."

Boyle was an early advocate of plyometrics, since widely adopted in hockey-conditioning programs.

"Plyometrics are jumping and hopping exercises when it comes right down to it," Boyle said. "The simplest way to look at it is that weight-training builds the muscular system while plyometrics trains the nervous system. What we're trying to do is get their brain to get the impulse to the muscle faster. That's what we're talking about in trying to make somebody more explosive.

"It's one thing to get a muscle to be larger, one thing to get a muscle to be stronger, but to get to that muscle to respond in the appropriate time frame is really the essence of athleticism. That's where plyometric drills come in, because we are trying to work on developing the ability to jump, to do things explosively and reactively."

Colorado Avalanche coach Joe Sacco attended B.U. from 1987-90, going to the NCAA Frozen Four in his final season. The conditioning regime he began in college helped Sacco to a 15-year NHL career.

"(Mike) is an innovator, a pioneer. He always believed that if you train fast, you play fast," Sacco said. "If you train slow, you play slow. His philosophy is all about speed and strength. When you did plyometrics or sprint work, it would make you faster on the ice. If you were going to run a marathon, then you train for distance, but when you're talking hockey, it's all about speed and strength. I always felt like I went to training camp in the best possible shape."
"(Mike) is an innovator, a pioneer. He always believed that if you train fast, you play fast." -- Colorado Avalanche coach Joe Sacco, on training with Mike Grier
In contrast, summer hockey leagues are declining in popularity as part of conditioning programs. They're usually no-checking leagues and can't duplicate actual NHL game situations. An NHL.com writer watched a game five years ago with Mike Sullivan, assistant coach of the New York Rangers, and Sean Coady, assistant women's hockey coach at Brown University, when both were with the Boston Bruins.

That night, a high-scoring AHL player dominated. Sullivan was asked if the player was on course to make an NHL team.

"They all look good when there's no hitting," Sullivan said.

A rink official said there are fewer NHL players participating in that league now.

"I don't think that playing in the summer leagues, playing once a week or so, is as much a serious element of the summer-conditioning program," Sullivan said. "It's probably more about enjoying the relationships you've built over the years. I think these guys just love to play hockey. That's what the summer leagues are. It allows them to touch the ice and touch the puck and that probably doesn't hurt them, but I'm not sure it's a critical element of their conditioning program.

"For the most part, guys play in no-check leagues," Sullivan said. "The last thing they want to do is get hurt. Because of that, it's a very different game. Some players who thrive in 'pond hockey' have a really hard time when you start to play real ice hockey at the NHL or college level. There are some players who look fantastic in summer hockey, can dazzle you with their plays, but when you add physicality to the game, it neutralizes them."

Grier said summertime skating isn't a big deal to him.

"As I've gotten older, I've stayed off skates more during the summer," Grier said. "I'm just starting to skate now, in mid-August. I've focused on my off-ice conditioning. When I was younger, I was skating and playing shinny in July. It's good to get back on the ice and feel the puck and there are some summer leagues that are competitive. When I do that, I'm just looking to work up a sweat and feel the puck. It can get to be too much and I don't want to pull a muscle.

"You can't simulate an NHL game in a no-check league, especially things like going into the corners or getting ready for a defenseman coming at you at full speed."

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
from. nhl.com :p

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=490618

Crosby enjoys being one of Canada's

CALGARY -- Sidney Crosby got a little taste of what it's like to be a 22-year-old first-timer at an Olympic orientation camp Thursday night.

First, Martin Brodeur stoned the Pittsburgh Penguins' captain, who is about as close to a lock to make the Canadian Olympic squad as Brodeur, with a brilliant glove save on a shot targeted for the upper left-hand corner of the net less than six minutes into the game.

"He baited me pretty good there," Crosby said. "He showed me all glove and he knew it was going there, so he made a good save. He forced me to go there."

Twelve minutes into the second period, Crosby was whistled for hooking, a call he vehemently disagreed with. Turns out he had a point, but he wasn't going to win the argument because it was more Mike Babcock's call than the official's.

"(The official) explained that he needed to make sure there were power plays on both sides," Crosby said. "It kind of sucked that I was the guinea pig, but that's alright. That's how it works."

For four days in Calgary Crosby was something he strives to be -- just one of the boys. He is still arguably the most recognizable hockey player in Canada today, but his orientation camp experience re-affirmed his belief that only hard work will get him on this team, even if people are telling him he's already going to be the No. 1 center.
"I don't really think like that and I don't think you can afford to as a player," Crosby said. "You have to prove yourself. I have been told a lot of things throughout my career and you can't afford to think too far ahead. As an athlete you always force yourself to make sure you are always proving yourself and always learning. That's what I'm thinking going into the season."

Crosby said any uneasiness he had heading into the camp is long gone now. The goal here was for the staff to get across to all of the players exactly how they're going to play and how the logistics of being in the Olympics works. Crosby gives Hockey Canada an A-plus for their efforts this week.

"I thought it was great," he said. "I had a lot of fun and I think I learned a lot about what is expected and also about all the other players here, too. I didn't know a lot of guys here personally and to see some guys and meet them was a lot of fun. I'm pretty clear on what's expected and what's going on."

Perhaps the only thing not cut and dry now is who Crosby will play with in Vancouver. It appears Columbus Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash would be the frontrunner to be on his left wing considering the two were together all week, but the right side is up for grabs.

Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla played there Monday and Tuesday and it appeared things were going well. Babcock shifted Martin St. Louis to that line Wednesday and the trio found chemistry, too.

Iginla started Thursday night's scrimmage with Crosby and Nash, but after two relatively ineffective periods for the Flames' leader, Babcock moved St. Louis back to that line and Iginla to a line with Derek Roy and Jonathan Toews.

The White squad had a better third period as a result.

"I didn't like the line. I didn't think they were doing enough," Babcock said of why he swapped Iginla for St. Louis. "That team was outshot 17-7 in the first and 12-7 in the second.

"I wasn't on their bench in the first period and a half and the tendency as a coach is to watch your own guys, so I thought something was going good until I watched them," Babcock continued. "We decided to fix that and I thought we competed way harder in the third and ended up getting back even. In the end it was a pretty good hockey game."

Crosby, though, said he was comfortable playing with both Iginla and St. Louis, two drastically different players.

"It's hard because you're playing with such great players and you want to get them the puck," he said. "You're thinking so much and when it comes down to a game you can't afford to think. There was a feeling-out process, but I thought both combinations had some chances and that's what you want to do. That's the purpose of this, to learn from each other and bring some positives from it. I thought we did that."
One thing Crosby learned quite quickly is how Babcock runs his practices and what kind of leader this guy really is. He's battled against the Red Wings coach in back to back Stanley Cup Final, but after four days in Calgary he has a new appreciation for him.

"I think it's pretty clear why Detroit is always so good," Crosby said. "He's well organized. He can make sure everybody understands what they need to do, but he makes guys accountable out there and makes sure they're doing the right things in practice. For us in Pittsburgh, we have started to kind of play a similar style, more up-tempo game, and we see how much more fun that is to play. That is something he's focused on. It's pretty clear to see why Detroit is a successful team each year."

The up-tempo style Dan Bylsma implemented in Pittsburgh actually made Crosby's transition to Babcock's camp much easier.

"If you look at Detroit's system, our system and the way we play here there are a lot of similarities, so for me it was great," Crosby said. "A lot of the drills we do in practice were the same type of thing we are doing in Pittsburgh."

In Pittsburgh, though, Crosby is undoubtedly the man. Here in Calgary this week, he was content to just fit in and be a sponge around the guys who have been there before.
He got what he came for.

"Guys have a lot of pride in their play and being Canadian," Crosby said. "I thought we saw that this week."

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
also from nhl.com

Cleary feels like he belongs with Team Canada

Thursday, 08.27.2009 / 10:35 AM / 2010 Winter Olympics
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Staff Writer

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=487141

CALGARY -- The question wasn't intended to offend Detroit Red Wings winger Dan Cleary, and it didn't, but it's also one that just couldn't be sugarcoated.

"Why are you here?"

A lot of people in Canada are asking themselves that same question about Cleary these days.
Marc Savard scored 88 points this past season and he's not in Calgary this week. Mike Cammalleri had 39 goals, but didn't receive any invitation. Mike Ribeiro, Brad Boyes, Steven Stamkos are all worthy candidates that didn't make the cut.

Yet, on the ice skating with Patrick Marleau and Vinny Lecavalier Wednesday was Cleary, a guy who finished 87th among Canadians with 40 points this past season.

"I just think I have earned the right to be here based on my play the last few years in the playoffs and the regular season," Cleary told NHL.com. "I think I'm good at both ends of the ice. I have played on top lines and I think I had a good playoff this year, a good run. I have good experience of being in critical situations. With our team in Detroit I play in every situation. I play in the last minute of the power play and penalty kill. I feel I deserve to be here."

He's right.

Cleary is here because he represents the vision Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock have for their role players on Team Canada at the 2010 Olympics. Whether that means he makes the final cut remains to be seen, but this much we do know: Cleary is not here because Yzerman and Babcock wanted a familiar face in Calgary.

"It's just that he's a good hockey player," Babcock said. "Just look at the playoffs and the amount of scoring he does, the way he plays with and without the puck. He's just a real smart hockey player and he gets things done. He's a very usable guy whether it's on the power play in front of the net, in a checking role, physical on the forecheck, in his own zone or on the penalty kill. He's a good player."

Cleary said Babcock, Yzerman and Detroit GM Ken Holland, Yzerman's associate with Team Canada, have never said anything to him about his chances of making it to this week's orientation camp.
"Never, never, never," he confirmed.

To that end, there was no reason for him to even think about being here until he got the invitation. Still, before he even arrived, Cleary, who says his confidence has never been as high as it is right now, knew he wouldn't feel out of place.

He doesn't.

"I have played against all these guys, went head-to-head with all these guys, checked them and had lots of battles with them," he said. "I feel comfortable. I don't feel any pressure. These other guys have way more pressure than me."

Cleary, who believes he's "the most comfortable guy in camp," has an advantage over every other Canadian skater because he knows Babcock's coaching style and his systems. The coach is also comfortable in putting Cleary in all situations.

Babcock proved that this past postseason when he had Cleary, who had 15 points in 23 playoff games, in the Wings' top six and skating a lot with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk, two guys Cleary said would be the best players in Canada's orientation camp this week.

With Marian Hossa, Jiri Hudler and Mikael Samuelsson all skating elsewhere now, Cleary will see more ice time in the top six this coming season. It should only increase his scoring, his exposure and his chances of making this team.
After all, he's certainly one guy who can't make an impression this week. The powers that be already know too much about him as it is.

"They want guys not to be on the fourth line just to check, but to be on the fourth line and be great checkers with the ability to burn you offensively," Cleary said. "I think I can create offense given the chance and I'll have a good chance this year. We'll see what happens."

Whatever does happen, Cleary isn't going to fret too much. Like he said, the pressure is off. All he can do is play his way, which, by the way, is what got him here.

"That's exactly my mindset," Cleary said. "If it happens it happens, but you see, I know what I have to do to make the team. I'm going to focus on those areas and hopefully that's enough. If it's not, I will know I gave it all I can give."

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
also from nhl.com

Cleary feels like he belongs with Team Canada

Thursday, 08.27.2009 / 10:35 AM / 2010 Winter Olympics
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Staff Writer

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=487141

CALGARY -- The question wasn't intended to offend Detroit Red Wings winger Dan Cleary, and it didn't, but it's also one that just couldn't be sugarcoated.

"Why are you here?"

A lot of people in Canada are asking themselves that same question about Cleary these days.
Marc Savard scored 88 points this past season and he's not in Calgary this week. Mike Cammalleri had 39 goals, but didn't receive any invitation. Mike Ribeiro, Brad Boyes, Steven Stamkos are all worthy candidates that didn't make the cut.

Yet, on the ice skating with Patrick Marleau and Vinny Lecavalier Wednesday was Cleary, a guy who finished 87th among Canadians with 40 points this past season.

"I just think I have earned the right to be here based on my play the last few years in the playoffs and the regular season," Cleary told NHL.com. "I think I'm good at both ends of the ice. I have played on top lines and I think I had a good playoff this year, a good run. I have good experience of being in critical situations. With our team in Detroit I play in every situation. I play in the last minute of the power play and penalty kill. I feel I deserve to be here."

He's right.

Cleary is here because he represents the vision Steve Yzerman and Mike Babcock have for their role players on Team Canada at the 2010 Olympics. Whether that means he makes the final cut remains to be seen, but this much we do know: Cleary is not here because Yzerman and Babcock wanted a familiar face in Calgary.

"It's just that he's a good hockey player," Babcock said. "Just look at the playoffs and the amount of scoring he does, the way he plays with and without the puck. He's just a real smart hockey player and he gets things done. He's a very usable guy whether it's on the power play in front of the net, in a checking role, physical on the forecheck, in his own zone or on the penalty kill. He's a good player."

Cleary said Babcock, Yzerman and Detroit GM Ken Holland, Yzerman's associate with Team Canada, have never said anything to him about his chances of making it to this week's orientation camp.
"Never, never, never," he confirmed.

To that end, there was no reason for him to even think about being here until he got the invitation. Still, before he even arrived, Cleary, who says his confidence has never been as high as it is right now, knew he wouldn't feel out of place.

He doesn't.

"I have played against all these guys, went head-to-head with all these guys, checked them and had lots of battles with them," he said. "I feel comfortable. I don't feel any pressure. These other guys have way more pressure than me."

Cleary, who believes he's "the most comfortable guy in camp," has an advantage over every other Canadian skater because he knows Babcock's coaching style and his systems. The coach is also comfortable in putting Cleary in all situations.

Babcock proved that this past postseason when he had Cleary, who had 15 points in 23 playoff games, in the Wings' top six and skating a lot with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk, two guys Cleary said would be the best players in Canada's orientation camp this week.

With Marian Hossa, Jiri Hudler and Mikael Samuelsson all skating elsewhere now, Cleary will see more ice time in the top six this coming season. It should only increase his scoring, his exposure and his chances of making this team.
After all, he's certainly one guy who can't make an impression this week. The powers that be already know too much about him as it is.

"They want guys not to be on the fourth line just to check, but to be on the fourth line and be great checkers with the ability to burn you offensively," Cleary said. "I think I can create offense given the chance and I'll have a good chance this year. We'll see what happens."

Whatever does happen, Cleary isn't going to fret too much. Like he said, the pressure is off. All he can do is play his way, which, by the way, is what got him here.

"That's exactly my mindset," Cleary said. "If it happens it happens, but you see, I know what I have to do to make the team. I'm going to focus on those areas and hopefully that's enough. If it's not, I will know I gave it all I can give."

Ensane

Juniors
one month to go...dont know what id do if league and hockey offseasons were at the same time!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=497642&navid=DL|NHL|Home

Brind'Amour finally finishes first in faceoffs

Friday, 09.04.2009 / 9:00 AM / NHL Insider
By John McGourty - NHL.com Staff Writer
Faceoff magicians

Rod Brind'Amour reigns as the NHL's faceoff champ heading into 2009-10. Here are the other top 10 finishers this past season:

2. Kris Draper, Red Wings, 603/1000, 60.3 percent --
When he was coaching the Red Wings, Scotty Bowman took a night to watch a minor-league game and was amazed when Kris Draper won every faceoff. Bowman promoted him. That was 1993 and Draper has been among the top NHL faceoff men since. Draper gets even better when the faceoff is in the defensive zone. He doesn't look very big, but Draper's all muscle with great core-body strength, thick forearms and strong hands and wrists.

3. Radek Bonk, Predators, 450/751, 59.9 percent --
Bonk came to North America at age 17 and was rookie of the year in the now-defunct IHL. He had 10 good seasons with Ottawa, then two seasons with Montreal and two with Nashville. Bonk led the NHL by winning 61.9 percent of his faceoffs on the road.

4. Manny Malhotra, Blue Jackets, 801/1380, 58 percent --
The NHL's No. 4 faceoff man last season has lost his job to the No. 6 faceoff man, Antoine Vermette. Malhotra is unsigned at this moment. Picked seventh in the 1998 Entry Draft, Malhotra has been a third-line checking center for most of his career. Malhotra had career highs last season, his ninth in the NHL, with 24 assists and 35 points while often playing on Rick Nash's line.

5. David Steckel, Capitals, 513/886, 57.9 percent --
There has been an argument here at NHL.com all summer whether the U.S. Olympic team made a mistake in not inviting the NHL's No. 5 faceoff man to its evaluation camp. In 2008, Steckel became the only NHL rookie to finish in the top 10 in this decade. At 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds, Steckel's size is second only to his dedication and intensity. A top penalty killer, Steckel won 153 of 283 shorthanded faceoffs.

6. Antoine Vermette, Blue Jackets/Senators, 642/1112, 57.7 percent --
Vermette should be the NHL player most excited about the upcoming season. He averaged 21 goals a season during his second, third and fourth NHL seasons and helped Ottawa to the Stanley Cup Final in 2007. For the first time in his career, Vermette will center an NHL team's first line, and he'll have a goal-scoring champion Rick Nash on his left wing.

7. Jarret Stoll, Kings, 599/1047, 57.2 percent --
"Mr. Consistency," Stoll won 57.3 percent of his home faceoffs and 57.1 percent on the road, ranking fifth in the NHL in the latter category. Stoll and former Edmonton Oilers teammate Shawn Horcoff, who led several faceoff categories last season, received intensive faceoff schooling for several years from former Oilers assistant coach Billy Moores and it paid off.

8. Joe Pavelski, Sharks, 717/1274, 56.3 percent --
"Mr. Trending Upward," Pavelski, 25, makes his first appearance in the top 10 after finishing out of the top 90 in his first two NHL seasons. Pavelski has been an improved player in each of his three seasons. He is one of the most intense young players in the League and a fast skater who combines a scholar's knowledge beyond his years. He's got a durable, stocky body, strong arms and quick movement.

9. Pavel Datsyuk, Red Wings, 636/1135, 56 percent --
What doesn't this guy do well? That the NHL's best all-round player is also good at faceoffs is no surprise. That he progressed from a mediocre faceoff man in his first two years to a member of the top 10 the past three seasons is a tribute to his dedication and the Red Wings' emphasis on winning faceoffs. Detroit led the NHL in faceoffs last season, thanks in great measure to the work of Draper and Datsyuk.

10. Joe Thornton, Sharks, 718/1295, 55.4 percent --
There are aspects of Thornton's game that are awesome, his passing skills primarily, and aspects that are frustrating. Thornton makes it into the top 10 for the first time in his 10-year career. But this was the sixth season in which he won more faceoffs than he lost and his best since he won 56.3 percent with Boston in 2004. First-year coach Todd McLellan got Thornton to give his best performance in the faceoff circle in his four seasons in San Jose.

-- John McGourty

Finally!

Carolina Hurricanes Rod Brind'Amour has won the NHL's seasonal faceoff championship, his first, by winning 908 of his 1,488 faceoffs, or 61 percent.

You could call Brind'Amour the Alydar or Tom Lehman of the NHL's faceoff category. Like Alydar, who finished second to Affirmed in all three Triple Crown races in 1978, or Lehman, who led the U.S. Open after 54 holes in 1995, 1996 and 1997 but never won, Brind'Amour finished second in faceoff victory percentage three times behind seven-time champion Yanic Perreault earlier in this decade.

Brind'Amour, 39, also finished third, fifth and 12th in years that Perreault won. He finished fifth behind Scott Nichol in 2008 and 12th behind Joe Nieuwendyk in 1999. He was 21st in 1998, when Eric Lindros won and the NHL first began keeping faceoff statistics.

Brind'Amour has long been one of the NHL's best faceoff performers and that was never more evident than last season. He led the NHL with 664 even-strength faceoff victories and by winning 63.2 percent of faceoffs at home. He was second in the NHL in winning 494 home faceoffs, 414 road faceoffs and 908 faceoffs of all kinds.

Brind'Amour is the complete package when it comes to winning faceoffs. He's strong in his torso, his arms, thick hands and wrists. He has a low center of gravity and lowers further for faceoffs, bringing his powerful legs into play, helping him maintain position when bodies collide after the drop. He's also very fast with his stick due to great hand-eye coordination. And, he knows a million tricks.

Brind'Amour entered the NHL in 1988 with the St. Louis Blues and he has gained a world of experience playing with great faceoff men like Tony Hrkac in St. Louis, Keith Acton and Lindros in Philadelphia and Ron Francis in Carolina.

"The thing I remember about when Rod broke in with us in St. Louis in 1988 was how strong he was," said former Blues teammate Tony McKegney, the NHL's Hockey Is For Everyone ambassador. "He spent the previous year while he was at Michigan State working out with the football team. This was back when NHL teams didn't have individual weight-lifting programs. But I had always lifted weights so Rod and I became close.

"We had excellent centers on that team; Bernie Federko, Brian Sutter, Cliff Ronning, Peter Zezel, Tony Hrkac and Rick Meagher, but I don't remember Rod working with them on faceoffs. He was already very good at that when he got to the NHL. He was very good at using his body on faceoffs because he was so strong."

In a surprising revelation a few years back, Brind'Amour told NHL.com that he never practices faceoffs because he knows all the NHL linesmen's tendencies and his coaches can't duplicate that, so it would only throw him off his game.

That familiarity drove Shawn Horcoff and the Edmonton Oilers crazy during the 2006 Stanley Cup Final. Horcoff and his coach, Craig MacTavish, complained Brind'Amour was "cheating" after Brind'Amour won nearly 80 percent of his faceoffs against Horcoff. They said he stands at an angle, rather than the perpendicular stance the rules call for. They said he also lifts his stick after putting it down in accordance with the rule book.

They weren't wrong, but Brind'Amour is not alone in making quick moves after the linesmen get the players set for a faceoff. There's a split second there before the drop, and Brind'Amour has the timing down cold.

The Detroit Red Wings and San Jose Sharks were the only NHL teams with full-season players in the top 10, although the Columbus Blue Jackets' March 4 trade for Antoine Vermette gave them two, including Manny Malhotra, at season's end. Thus it's no surprise that the Red Wings led the NHL by winning 55.1 percent of their faceoffs and the Sharks were second with a 58.8 winning percentage. Detroit's Kris Draper finished second and Pavel Datsyuk was ninth.

San Jose's Joe Pavelski and Joe Thornton finished eighth and 10th, respectively. The Sharks may be even better this season as Thornton and Pavelski will be joined by free-agent Scott Nichol, who led the NHL in 2007-08, and the return to health of faceoff specialist Torrey Mitchell, who missed last season with a leg injury. Marcel Goc, who won 58 percent of over 500 faceoffs, was not re-signed.

Sood

Juniors
Bertuzzi again?? wtf kenny. As if he didnt suck enough the first time.

Not crazy about wings FA signings this offseason. To say the least..

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I don't understand it either! I was like WF??? But it's not all about him still most of the core guys are still together, I am looking forward to seeing how Pat Eaves goes thou

alright its live on Fox sports HD
Friday double header
9am-Boston vs Washington
12pm-Colorado vs San Jose
Tuesday
10am-NJ vs NY

Last edited: