What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
But tell me how do you get the pronouncement of the name

Toews --> they pronounce Taves

and my favourite

Byfuglien --> the pronounce Bucklin

WTF???

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade

and my favourite

WTF???

LOL yeah tell me about it! Becuase everytime I see Toews I want to say it that way as it is so when I hear it from the commentators I keep thinking they are talking about someone else! Gets on my nerves. I wonder if there is a way to email the panel (you know the intermission guys) and ask them haha

Skeletor

Juniors

and my favourite

WTF???

Towes name is old German in origin, they pronounce the letter "w" as "v".

Byfuflien's surname is pronounced "Bufflin" not "Bucklin". I remember at the beginning of his career many announcers pronounced it "By-Foog-lin" (which sounds more how it looks) which is the proper Norwegian pronunciation however he corrected them, his family (from Minnesota, not Norway) always pronounced it "Buff-lin".

Also, English speakers have little right to complain about pronunciations that make no sense. I have one surname to prove that: Beauchamp.

Ensane

Juniors
Towes name is old German in origin, they pronounce the letter "w" as "v".

Byfuflien's surname is pronounced "Bufflin" not "Bucklin". I remember at the beginning of his career many announcers pronounced it "By-Foog-lin" (which sounds more how it looks) which is the proper Norwegian pronunciation however he corrected them, his family (from Minnesota, not Norway) always pronounced it "Buff-lin".

Also, English speakers have little right to complain about pronunciations that make no sense. I have one surname to prove that: Beauchamp.
i'd pronounce it bufflin if my name was Bi-fuglyin too..reminds me of Mrs bucket /bouquet...Solid game 3 but finding myself pulling for chi-town after all the hard times endured with dollar bill.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Hmm..I'm not too impressed with the fact the Flyers have leveled the series up at 2-2. What has happened to the Hawks? They didn't play that badly but they've let it slip I reckon.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yeah baby go the hawks!!!

Game 3 was close.

I thought Philly were too good in game 4, great counter punches, smart hockey.

But game 5, was clinical, slight jig of the lines, Bufflin smashing Pronger, some classy hockey by the hawks.

Bufflins first goal was sweet to watch, all hawks touched.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Well the Red Wings had their chance last year but screwed it a bit and momentum went to th Pens in the end so who knows, this series is really close

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
spoiler alert! Do not read if you don't want to know the result!!!!!

chicargo blackhakws are now the 2010 official stanely cup champioins! After going into overtime against the flyes, athe winner came from patrick kane!!!!!!

towes named com smyth trophy winner

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Well now over the next couple of months the Hawks can sit back and enjoy their spoils, and once again congratulations to them, I am just looking forward to the start of next year and see the Red Wings and Pens back in action :-D

And like the NRL it's hard to find back-to-back champions it seems.

Ensane

Juniors
yeah well done to tha hawks, hope they are enjoying tha next ten days or so before they have to start dealing away with a few players! ... if they cant bury huet ill guess Sharp and Versteeg and Sopel!

Skeletor

Juniors
Michael Leighton is in no way an NHL number 1 goaltender. Look for the flyers to play the Free Agency market and try and pick up a Turco/Nabakov on a cheap contract that they'll take for a legit shot at a cup. Look for the Hawks to unload a couple of big contracts in the trade market too.

My prediction is that the Hawks will not bury Huet in the minors. Two reasons:
1) They would still have to pay him the money owed to him. Paying ~$6m for your goaltender in Rockford would not appeal to ownership.
2) It would give them a bad reputation and make it harder for them to attract quality Free Agents.

I could, however, see them trading Huet and a first round draft pick for a low-level prospect to a team with a bunch of cap room.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
TRADE: HALAK HAS BEN TRADED BY THE CANADIANS TO THE BLUES. Can't remember who they've got from the Blues in return, will post article soon! And I read it on nhl.com by the way

Ensane

Juniors
going to be a fun few weeks with draft and free agency, looks like there is going to be alot of movement!

will be interesting what the flyers do if they sign Hamhuis!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
NHL teams begin home play on Oct. 7
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532208

There is no place like home, so hockey fans should plan on heading to their team's arena beginning on Oct. 7, when the puck drops on the 2010-11 NHL season.

On Thursday, Oct. 7, the Pittsburgh Penguins will unveil the new Consol Energy Center to regular-season action against their Keystone State rivals, the Philadelphia Flyers.

Also opening the season at home on Oct 7 are the Colorado Avalanche against the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, the Edmonton Oilers hosting another "Battle of Alberta" against the Calgary Flames and the Toronto Maple Leafs facing their longtime "Original Six" rivals, the Montreal Canadiens, at the Air Canada Centre.
Four more teams will welcome their fans on Oct. 8. The Atlanta Thrashers host the Washington Capitals, the Detroit Red Wings welcome the Anaheim Ducks to Joe Louis Arena, the Dallas Stars come to Prudential Center in Newark to meet the New Jersey Devils and the Ottawa Senators welcome the Buffalo Sabres.

Saturday, Oct. 9 will see the Blackhawks raise their Stanley Cup banner to the United Center rafters prior to the home opener against the Red Wings. In Buffalo, the Sabres host the New York Rangers, while the Predators host the Ducks in Nashville, the Islanders host the Stars at Nassau Coliseum and the Blues host the Flyers. In addition Tampa Bay welcomes the Thrashers, the Canucks host the Kings and the Capitals open at home against the Devils.

The Calgary Flames welcome the 2010-11 season to the Pengrowth Saddledome on Oct. 10 when the Kings are in town. On Oct. 11, the Flyers will meet the Avalanche at the Wachovia Center.

On Oct. 12, the Thrashers come to Staples Center for the Kings' home opener.

The Canadiens will begin home play at Bell Centre on Oct. 13 against Tampa Bay, while the Ducks start home play the same night against the Canucks.

Two more teams, the Stars and Wild, begin home play on Oct. 14. The Stars host the Red Wings and the Wild faces the Oilers.

Oct. 15 sees the Columbus Blue Jackets host the Blackhawks and the New York Rangers face off against the Maple Leafs at Madison Square Garden.

The Florida Panthers face the cross-state rival Lightning in their home opener on Oct. 16, while the Coyotes will see a rematch of their 2010 playoff series with Detroit kick off their home schedule, also on Oct. 16, while San Jose commences home play against the Thrashers.

The last two home openers for the 2010-11 season come on Oct. 21 when the Boston Bruins play the Capitals at TD Garden and on Oct 27, when Carolina hosts the Caps.

~~

For me the most important date is actually not in regualr season it's the pres-season whenDetroit goes to play Pittsburgh in their new home, even though 'officially' for reguar season its the Pens and Flyers playing at Consol. but yeh October 7 and 8 two dates I must note. pens play on 7th Wings on 8th. Yah! I'm already looking forward to the new season!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
going to be a fun few weeks with draft and free agency, looks like there is going to be alot of movement!

will be interesting what the flyers do if they sign Hamhuis!

Quote from the article about Hamhuis:

'The Nashville Predators have traded the rights to one of their top defensemen, Dan Hamhuis, to the Eastern Conference champion Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for defenseman Ryan Parent. Nashville is also sending a conditional 7th round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft as part of the deal.

Hamhuis will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. If Philadelphia does not sign him prior to the 2010-11 season, Nashville will transfer its own 7th round pick in 2011 to Philadelphia. Additionally, if Philadelphia trades the rights to Hamhuis prior to July 1 the conditional pick will not be transferred.

Hamhuis, selected by the Predators with the 12th pick in the 2001 draft, completed his sixth NHL season by recording 5 goals and 24 points in 78 regular-season games, adding a pair of assists in six playoff games. In 483 career regular-season games for Nashville, he has 32 goals and 161 points.

"Our intention is to get him signed prior to [July 1], and that is what our aim is at this point in time," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. "The sooner that we get going on trying to get this done, the better."
'