What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nicho Hynes wants to retire as a Shark

Frenzy.

Immortal
sourced from

When Nicho Hynes left the Melbourne Storm in search of a starting spot, not even he could've envisaged what was coming his way.

Less than 12 months after playing his final game for the Storm, Hynes was a starting halfback sitting second on the NRL ladder, a Dally M draped around his neck and a member of a New South Wales camp midyear.

He had worn the No. 7 jersey just once before moving to Cronulla, now Nicho wants to be a Shark for life.

The stars aligned for the Shire-based club last season, and Hynes wasn't the only new face on the block. Dale Finucane and Cameron McInnes joined the club as did rookie coach Craig Fitzgibbon, who's already had his contract extended after a single year at the helm.

If Hynes has it his way, he'll be next.

"Look, I love this place and I've made it really clear I love this place. I started my career at the Sharks under Fitzy and he just re-signed and I'd love to finish my career under Fitzy," Hynes told AAP.

"I can't see myself pulling on another jersey at the moment."

Hailing from the Central Coast, Hynes is just 100km away from his childhood home in Gosford, a short trip that he and Fitzgibbon undertook whilst the coach attempted to sign him from the Storm.

It was the moment that won Nicho over, and the halfback doesn't just want himself and his coach to ink new deals, but all of his team-mates as well.

"I'd like to keep this whole playing group together," he continued.

"We're building something nice and it's pretty special to rock up to training every day with this group who all have a common goal, which is to win a premiership.

"Look at the Penrith Panthers, who have kept their team together for an extended period of time.

"The Melbourne Storm, they kept their team together. The Roosters, when they win a competition, they all keep their team together.

"So that's what I want to do. I want to keep this team together as much as possible and win a premiership. That's every rugby league player's dream: to win a premiership and I want to do that.

Indigenous All Stars v Maori All Stars Men's
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 12: Nicho Hynes of the Indigenous All Stars is tackled during the match between the Men's Indigenous All Stars and the Men's Maori All Stars at CommBank Stadium on February 12, 2022 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

"If I have to re-sign to do that, then 100 per cent I will. Yeah, I love this place. I love the fans, the beach. It's me and why wouldn't I?"

Hynes is expected to be named in this afternoon's team list, but is no certainty to play after picking up a calf complaint. The halfback has been given until the captain's run on Friday to prove his fitness, otherwise Braydon Trindall will step up to the plate.

It'll be a September preview at PointsBet Stadium after Hynes slotted a field-goal to beat the Rabbitohs at home last year, only for South Sydney to get their revenge in the semi-finals, sending Nicho and co packing after a 38-12 defeat.

Quigs

Immortal
The Dolphs are alright in my books. The old Creeping Jesus is undermining the Donkeys at every available opportunity. It is fun to watch.

There was even on article where he was stirring the pot about seeing if Alfie was interested in coming over to run the sponge.

Stake Removed

First Grade
The Dolphs are alright in my books. The old Creeping Jesus is undermining the Donkeys at every available opportunity. It is fun to watch.

There was even on article where he was stirring the pot about seeing if Alfie was interested in coming over to run the sponge.
Those two signings of bronc players was typical Bennett to stir them more

Eion

First Grade
remember when Wayne didn’t pay munch money for a front rower. Old mates getting desperate

sourced from

When Nicho Hynes left the Melbourne Storm in search of a starting spot, not even he could've envisaged what was coming his way.

Less than 12 months after playing his final game for the Storm, Hynes was a starting halfback sitting second on the NRL ladder, a Dally M draped around his neck and a member of a New South Wales camp midyear.

He had worn the No. 7 jersey just once before moving to Cronulla, now Nicho wants to be a Shark for life.

The stars aligned for the Shire-based club last season, and Hynes wasn't the only new face on the block. Dale Finucane and Cameron McInnes joined the club as did rookie coach Craig Fitzgibbon, who's already had his contract extended after a single year at the helm.

If Hynes has it his way, he'll be next.

"Look, I love this place and I've made it really clear I love this place. I started my career at the Sharks under Fitzy and he just re-signed and I'd love to finish my career under Fitzy," Hynes told AAP.

"I can't see myself pulling on another jersey at the moment."

Hailing from the Central Coast, Hynes is just 100km away from his childhood home in Gosford, a short trip that he and Fitzgibbon undertook whilst the coach attempted to sign him from the Storm.

It was the moment that won Nicho over, and the halfback doesn't just want himself and his coach to ink new deals, but all of his team-mates as well.

"I'd like to keep this whole playing group together," he continued.

"We're building something nice and it's pretty special to rock up to training every day with this group who all have a common goal, which is to win a premiership.

"Look at the Penrith Panthers, who have kept their team together for an extended period of time.

"The Melbourne Storm, they kept their team together. The Roosters, when they win a competition, they all keep their team together.

"So that's what I want to do. I want to keep this team together as much as possible and win a premiership. That's every rugby league player's dream: to win a premiership and I want to do that.

Indigenous All Stars v Maori All Stars Men's's
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 12: Nicho Hynes of the Indigenous All Stars is tackled during the match between the Men's Indigenous All Stars and the Men's Maori All Stars at CommBank Stadium on February 12, 2022 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

"If I have to re-sign to do that, then 100 per cent I will. Yeah, I love this place. I love the fans, the beach. It's me and why wouldn't I?"

Hynes is expected to be named in this afternoon's team list, but is no certainty to play after picking up a calf complaint. The halfback has been given until the captain's run on Friday to prove his fitness, otherwise Braydon Trindall will step up to the plate.

It'll be a September preview at PointsBet Stadium after Hynes slotted a field-goal to beat the Rabbitohs at home last year, only for South Sydney to get their revenge in the semi-finals, sending Nicho and co packing after a 38-12 defeat.
I hope he's not one of these Millennials,- think they've done it all and deserve to retire before they hit 30.

Haa! 5
Coming up to your 5yr anniversary SoL2 and you accidentally hit the reply button mate?

Welcome!!
5 years?? Bit longer than that mate. Quite a bit. I had to make a new account (SoL II) cos old email addy no longer exists. Just my first time trying out new account so yep, basically just mashing buttons 🤣

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Haa! 5

5 years?? Bit longer than that mate. Quite a bit. I had to make a new account (SoL II) cos old email addy no longer exists. Just my first time trying out new account so yep, basically just mashing buttons 🤣
Yeah that account started 2018. Though I recognised the name though.

And ‘Spirit of League’ refers to Wayne Schloss (?) crapping in his shoe lol… Anyway, I’ve even outlived my old email addy so it’s a brand new day for SoL II 🤣