What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes, be very careful in signing up a Melbourne player. Its not as if they can take the coaching staff and structure with them.

Hynes plays full-back the way Pappenhuysen plays it and Slater played before him ie the Melbourne way. Always standing one behind the ruck ready to push up in support of the attacking player and has the vision, passing skills and kicking game to play dummy half or first receiver if required. Doesn't have Dufty's explosive pace but oh such much better in so many other ways. I'd take him in a heartbeat but with a new Brisbane franchise coming in 2023, the attraction of the Melbourne "brotherhood"-even if only off the bench- and the Broncos beating down his door there is serious opposition.

TruSaint

Referee
He was very classy tonight, and can kick goals...I rate him highly...well organised young man in all facets of the game....although as others have pointed out will he shine outside the Storm juggernaut....would love to find out...that is with the Red V of course

I like everything about this kid.

I know Im just dreaming but he could be to us what Turbo is to Manly. A game changer.

Very composed, skillful, fast, and can kick as well.

thebigredv

First Grade
I bet he is picked again at 6!
CC

I'm slightly perturbed that even Mary knew to drop Norman. His long kicking game is pretty decent but cant find another reason to retain him when there are so many other options. Far too many chances.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Matt Dufty 'free to go' as Dragons turn attention to Nicho Hynes

Ed Chisholm
1 hour ago

The Dragons have reportedly informed off-contract fullback Matt Dufty to find another home for next season with the club poised to enter the race for Melbourne's Nicho Hynes.

Channel Nine reporter Danny Weidler claims the lightning quick Dufty, who is currently sidelined with a shoulder injury, has been informed by Dragons management he won't be re-signed beyond this year.

Dufty has been the Red V's most damaging attacking weapon over the past two seasons, however talks over an extension haven't progressed as the season has worn on.

Back in April, after leading the Dragons to their fourth straight win with a dominant individual performance against the Eels, Dufty admitted his future in Wollongong was still "touch and go" despite his strong start to the year.

Weidler told Nine's 100% Footy the Dragons have now informed Dufty he's free to look elsewhere, with the Red V understood to be interested in breakout Storm fullback Hynes.

"It's my understanding that Matt Dufty has been told by the Dragons that he is free to go. I don't think they want him for next year," Weidler said.

"The information I've got is that he's been told they don't want him and 'go look around'. All the information I've got is that they don't want him at the club.

"I'm hearing perhaps they're looking at Nicho Hynes. But I don't know what Matt Dufty has done wrong as a footballer.

"They've had a chance to re-sign him for a while now at the Dragons and they've decided not to."

BREAKING: Understand that Matt Dufty has been told by Dragons he is not going to be signed by the club. Broke the news on @100percentfooty last night - believe the club chasing Nicho Hynes. @NRLonNine @9NewsSyd will discuss on @BigSportsBrekky

— Danny Weidler (@Danny_Weidler) May 24, 2021
Dufty has scored 44 tries in 77 games for the Dragons since debuting in 2017 and leads the tryscoring tally for the club this year with eight.

While it's news that could stun some of the Red V faithful, Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has been pressed over Dufty's future continuously throughout the year and hinted the club wasn't in a rush to re-sign him.

"He's good, he's been improving (but) he needs to," Griffin said after the win over Parramatta.

"He's a really good kid and he's learning the fine arts of playing fullback in tight football games, like he did tonight.

"He needs to keep improving to unlock his potential.

"That's the challenge with a lot of us. He's always been great with the ball, that's never been a question, it's about mastering his craft as a fullback at this level.

"He's worked really hard."

Rugby league guru Phil Gould, who oversaw a review of St. George Illawarra's football department in the wake of their horror 2019 season, said Dufty has been on the outer at the club for some time due to matters that don't necessarily relate to football.

"They've been trying to move him for two off-seasons. I'm not going to go any further than that, it's just the truth," Gould said on 100% Footy.

"Matt's aware of that and the Dragons have certainly got other plans.

"As to the reasons why the Dragons don't want him, I don't think that it's football related."

The Dragons are now poised to enter the race for Hynes, whose emergence since stepping in for the injured Ryan Papnehuyzen at fullback for Melbourne has caught the eyes of many across the competition.

Off-contract next season, the Storm are resigned to losing Hynes, who's expressed his intentions to secure a regular starting spot with his next deal, something he won't be guaranteed in Melbourne.

The Broncos are widely reported to have shown interest in the Sunshine Coast product but are yet to have offered him a contract.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...ntion-to-nicho-hynes/ar-AAKl4Wv?ocid=msedgdhp

P.S Thanks @Puff

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very interesting triangle of players and who wants who and for how much.

Will be fascinating to see the outcomes.

rasaint

Juniors
Hynes is hyped right up atm. I don’t see it as an upgrade on Dufty. With a player like Matt you have a reason to go to a game or switch on TV. No other dragon player does this outside maybe Rava or Cody ; plenty of slow pokes.

Our strong 2018 squad would have won the comp if not for the injury curse seasons end( Widdop, Simms and others at end of season).. Dufty was fullback then. Scored 14 NRL tries that year. Dufty is a flying machine who can score from 10 metres to 100 metres out. If he is going please don’t buy money ball, get Paps Teddy, brimson, Turbo or keep Duff and get fast powerful centres and back rowers.

Nicho Hynes has played 21 games with Storm for 5 trys. Mostly played Qld cup and second fiddle at Storm. He looks a pretty good player full stop.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hynes is hyped right up atm. I don’t see it as an upgrade on Dufty. With a player like Matt you have a reason to go to a game or switch on TV. No other dragon player does this outside maybe Rava or Cody ; plenty of slow pokes.

Our strong 2018 squad would have won the comp if not for the injury curse seasons end( Widdop, Simms and others at end of season).. Dufty was fullback then. Scored 14 NRL tries that year. Dufty is a flying machine who can score from 10 metres to 100 metres out. If he is going please don’t buy money ball, get Paps Teddy, brimson, Turbo or keep Duff and get fast powerful centres and back rowers.

Nicho Hynes has played 21 games with Storm for 5 trys. Mostly played Qld cup and second fiddle at Storm. He looks a pretty good player full stop.
Give me Dufty anytime. If our other players, especially in the spine were doing their job 100% and the forwards were better than good, then Dufty would be killing it, if he wasn't now injured. I don't know why Hook hasn't acknowledged more of Dufty's positives and just rely on his deficiencies. If we had Dufty playing against the Sharks - shut the gate, we win and would be a no brainer - sorry Hook.

There might be players like Hynes that Hook has taken a liking to or some other player including Ramsey or one or two of our juniors, however, whomever that player is, he must have the goods in all aspects of a fullback otherwise they would be crazy to let Dufty go. My view and that's it.

Illusion

Bench
Give me Dufty anytime. If our other players, especially in the spine were doing their job 100% and the forwards were better than good, then Dufty would be killing it, if he wasn't now injured. I don't know why Hook hasn't acknowledged more of Dufty's positives and just rely on his deficiencies. If we had Dufty playing against the Sharks - shut the gate, we win and would be a no brainer - sorry Hook.

There might be players like Hynes that Hook has taken a liking to or some other player including Ramsey or one or two of our juniors, however, whomever that player is, he must have the goods in all aspects of a fullback otherwise they would be crazy to let Dufty go. My view and that's it.
Its a complete Duff up ....