What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

Gareth67

First Grade
Well so much for Hynes , listening to Griffin today he said that the Dragons would NOT be looking outside of the club for a replacement for Duffy .

Comes as a bit of a shock that statement , but it is straight from the horse’s mouth , Griffin himself .

Therefore he will be relying on players who are already at the Big Red V . Cody Ramsey or one of the younger players ?

Sorry Boardlumps 62 , have only just now seen your post .

Last edited:

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yes seems like that's what Hooks up to use our young blokes. Thing is we have young halves behind Benny and Corey Norman could Hook possibly be thinking signing Norman for one more year as the youngsters gain experience. And remember that rumour about Cobbo from Broncos well he is in their 21 squad this week (at least was). We might grab him if Nikko goes to the Broncos.

Morotti

Juniors
It did surprise me that we didn't offer Dufty anything.

Perhaps his asking price was too much and we simply said he could walk.

Pity as he is a local junior and has been one of our better players.

I suppose we have to trust that the club knows what they are doing and we have a better prospect coming through.

Our spine is dodgey at best now with an aging rake, sometimes reliable half, far more stones than diamonds 5/8 and a flashy but apparently unwanted fullback. We've got a few hopes this season but too many mediocre performances to be considered reliable.

So on to next year and we're looking at a scattering of tallented kids to try out in key positions . . another rebuilding year!!?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very informative and straight answers given by Hook in the coach's preview.

Take-aways:
1. Dufty's been here 5yrs and coaching staff feel he hasn't progressed. No internal issues just football related.
2. No external recruitement to replace Dufty. Relying on Ramsey, Sloan or any other young gun who can prove his worth.
3. Obviously not persuing Hynes
4. No mention about Norman's future
5. Beale in for hie 'defense'
6. Confident about tomorrows game
7. Not much room in 2022 Cap
8. Obviously recorded before the DeBelin news

Just reading between the lines here, am ai wrong in getting the vibe that Hook will be our Head Coach further than his current contract. Seems to he setting himself up well.

jeffdragon

Bench
We aren't in the market for hynes.
Also we have our 18 players signed for 2022 atm
I don't buy no room in the cap for next year.
Rest will be youngsters like he did at Penrith.

4. No mention about Norman's future
7. Not much room in 2022 Cap
Really hope those two points aren't related. Concerns me that Dufty who has shown more improvement this season (but not as much as the coaching staff were wanting) gets told he is not needed next year but nothing about Norman (who you would never know was playing for a contract) getting the same talk.

slippery5

Juniors
1. I'm told he is more likely to stay at Storm.
2. Anyone who had watched Nicho play for the Falcons long before he debuted for the Storm could see he was something special. I'll go as far as saying, while playing in the halves, he was the most multi talented ball player I've seen.
3. I wonder if anyone would choose Hughes/ Paps over what could be the next Lockyer. Time will tell, but I don't recall the same hype over Lockyer after the same amount of starting games.

Lethal25

Juniors
1. I'm told he is more likely to stay at Storm.
2. Anyone who had watched Nicho play for the Falcons long before he debuted for the Storm could see he was something special. I'll go as far as saying, while playing in the halves, he was the most multi talented ball player I've seen.
3. I wonder if anyone would choose Hughes/ Paps over what could be the next Lockyer. Time will tell, but I don't recall the same hype over Lockyer after the same amount of starting games.
The kid is almost 25 whilst Lockyer debuted at 18. I think comparisons are difficult at the best of times but comparing him to Lockyer is simply wrong. Lockyer was barely out of school

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The kid is almost 25 whilst Lockyer debuted at 18. I think comparisons are difficult at the best of times but comparing him to Lockyer is simply wrong. Lockyer was barely out of school
Hynes is barely out of school too..

He repeated grades 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11 & 12

Mickthedragon

Juniors
I know its only the telegraph but it stated today that Norman was more than likely to stay at dragons.
Better not happen, that will do me.
No room in the cap sounds like the usual spin. We never seem to have room in the cap and will now have to wait for another fullback in Ramsay to come through and get used to the position.
Few more mediocre years ahead with this team.

Slackboy72

Coach
I know its only the telegraph but it stated today that Norman was more than likely to stay at dragons.
No room in the cap sounds like the usual spin. We never seem to have room in the cap and will now have to wait for another fullback in Ramsay to come through and get used to the position.
We can pay all that Dufty money...

possm

Coach
We do have depth in the halves but lack talent in the forwards. If Griffin can find his fullback within our junior ranks, it would make me very happy. It is certainly a possibility with Ramsey, Sloan, Schiller and Stewart all in line to have a go.

I'm thinking Hynes would be a great acquisition but we probably have other fish to fry. If it was up to me I would have the following team for 2022 and test as many as possible this season:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Hunt
7. Sullivan
8. New prop - 700k
9. B Smith - 700k
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14.. Wishart
15. Lawrie
16. Molo - 600k
17. Kerr
The new players cost approx. 2m

This could be a very strong pack and a quick and talented set of backs. Any deadwood should be cast out and as many talented young juniors given their chance in reserve grad:

Gone:
Dufty - 350k
Pereira - 200k
Williame - 200k
Norman - 850k
McInnes - 450k
Britten - 150k
Runciman - 150k
Ellis - 150k
Total approx: 2.4m

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Stewart
3. Schiller
4. Beele
5. Sauni-Esau
6. Amone
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. McCullough
10. Faamausili
11. Ford
12. Burns
13. McGuire

MarkD

Juniors
I hope Saints reconsider on Hynes... horse has probably bolted but the difference between Hynes and Duf is simple... Defensive positional play and in attack Hynes is always on the ball more so then most 6 or 7s .. he would be a tremendous asset to the Red V

BLM01

First Grade
We do have depth in the halves but lack talent in the forwards. If Griffin can find his fullback within our junior ranks, it would make me very happy. It is certainly a possibility with Ramsey, Sloan, Schiller and Stewart all in line to have a go.

I'm thinking Hynes would be a great acquisition but we probably have other fish to fry. If it was up to me I would have the following team for 2022 and test as many as possible this season:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Max Feagai
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Hunt
7. Sullivan
8. New prop - 700k
9. B Smith - 700k
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14.. Wishart
15. Lawrie
16. Molo - 600k
17. Kerr
The new players cost approx. 2m

This could be a very strong pack and a quick and talented set of backs. Any deadwood should be cast out and as many talented young juniors given their chance in reserve grad:

Gone:
Dufty - 350k
Pereira - 200k
Williame - 200k
Norman - 850k
McInnes - 450k
Britten - 150k
Runciman - 150k
Ellis - 150k
Total approx: 2.4m

Reserve Grade
1. Sloan
2. Stewart
3. Schiller
4. Beele
5. Sauni-Esau
6. Amone
7. Clune
8. Alvaro
9. McCullough
10. Faamausili
11. Ford
12. Burns
13. McGuire
Runciman reserve grade contract 150K.. :D
Keep enjoying guessing those salaries

BLM01

First Grade
If the club don't go all in for this guy they are mad. I'm happy with the decision to let dufty walk, as for every 1 good thing he does there's 2 bad. But Hynes will be a superstar, already in the top handful of fullbacks in the comp.
Top handful?...let me see. Turbo, Teddy, Pap, AJ., Latrell, Ponga, RTS or even Reece Walsh, Gutho?, CNK
How many is a handful again?

MarkD

Juniors
I hope Saints reconsider on Hynes... horse has probably bolted but the difference between Hynes and Duf is simple... Defensive positional play and in attack Hynes is always on the ball more so then most 6 or 7s .. he would be a tremendous asset to the Red V
Plus frankly he looks more interested then Duf... has a will to win...

Gareth67

First Grade

Your right mate when you say it’s only the Tele , they said that the Dragons were chasing Hynes . I would be most disappointed if they did extend his contract , 1 mediocre season after 3 complete failure seasons does not constitute a new contract .

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I see the Nyko Hynes thread is pumping and a lot of forumites are at the ready with their lotion and box of tissues to do some pumping of their own in anticipation.

Yeah, he may have talent and looks fantastic in purple behind a well coached pack and professional system, but how did a talented Widdop go in our system with a reserve grade coach and pedestrian roster? Cos what we have at the moment and near future isn't much better than what we have had over the last 10 years.

Going off what Hook said today it might not even happen, but then again he can tell the odd fib such as saying that his love child Knawmeeee has good games in most post game pressers.

Last edited: