What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NICKO HYNES

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No wonder the other supporters & the media say that Dragons supporters are never happy. I get that supporters want success & they want it yesterday but as you say Smarty you can't rurn it around in a few months. Time is needed & I'm sure the club is ok with this.
I like what I've seen & heard from Webb so far & he & Hook appear to be on the same page.
Us supporters just need to give the right people time.
Hook is getting some old hard heads around the next generation to bring them up to first grade the right way. The results will take time.

Vomit. You just know the Sharks are going to assemble a cracking side next year. Ahh well, lucky we already have all we need at dragons! Trust in Hook I guess, geez I hope Ramsay has another level.....

They are actively targetting key positions and building/developing the rest around them..

As for us.....

Weve signed a 31 year old Hooker for 3 seasons.

Weve signed numerous middle of the road forwards from other clubs.

We’ve waived/overlooked the opportunity to have a nudge at players in key positions like Brandon Smith, and now reportedly Hynes.

The only thing I agree with is letting Dufty look at other options.. he’s had numerous seasons and umpteen opportunities to prove himself as our mainstay and he just hasn’t done it IMO. He’ll be better off elsewhere.

I’m not seeing anything better at the moment from our club as opposed to the last few seasons. One bright spark is Ryan Webb, who has improved comms out of sight.

But it’s on the field we need the drastic improvement..

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
So let's see what our coaches have done since they started on November 1st.

1. We have acquired a number of experience FG to fill immediate gaps and bring some control to our game plan.
2. Unlike previous administration, the players that we have acquired have been partially paid for by the players previous club. And these players have been signed onto short term contracts.
3. Our current crop of FG players are being evaluated and I think decisions are being made on their futures with the club.
4. Our youngsters are getting FG experience we do not seem to be scared to try our juniors until they are experienced.

Let's be fair here, this coaching team ability to attract quality players for the future only comes into effect today (1 June). The major player movement starts from this date forward for players for next year, so lets see what they start to attract.

I think the other area that is overlooked is that we have tried to change our attack, by moving away from 1 out block plays one pass off the ruck and focussing on ball retention. In a number of games, we have passed the ball 2 or 3 passes wide and moved the oppositions forwards around a bit. This has created uncertainty in the defenders minds and also caused further exhaustion.

Has everything worked, No, but also bear in mind that we have easily the most players unavailable through injury and suspension than any other team. The last time we had anything like our best team on the paddock, was when we were winning games.

I have no doubt that we are looking at an external fullback, and I really would like to get the Wynnum Manly fullback ( Broncos junior). He has height Speed and is an elusive runner.

Take yourself back to the start of the season and most on here would have been happy if we avoided the wooden spoon. In fact we were favourites for the spoon at one stage. We are equal 8th at the moment and we will start getting some of our players back over the next month.

We have performed way better than anyone expected, some on here are losing it.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Same line of thinking as you are but by the same token can we afford to do nothing? Maybe we keep one eye on the likes of Ramsey but swoop on a bigger body capable player for fullback that doesn't require unreasonable money. Not a huge Mbye fan but perhaps that was the thought there?

Not sure Mbye gives us that much of a bigger body at full-back. Five centimetres shorter than Ramsey but 7 kgs heavier. However, does have a good passing game.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

1. We have acquired a number of experience FG to fill immediate gaps and bring some control to our game plan.
2. Unlike previous administration, the players that we have acquired have been partially paid for by the players previous club. And these players have been signed onto short term contracts.
3. Our current crop of FG players are being evaluated and I think decisions are being made on their futures with the club.
4. Our youngsters are getting FG experience we do not seem to be scared to try our juniors until they are experienced.

Let's be fair here, this coaching team ability to attract quality players for the future only comes into effect today (1 June). The major player movement starts from this date forward for players for next year, so lets see what they start to attract.

I think the other area that is overlooked is that we have tried to change our attack, by moving away from 1 out block plays one pass off the ruck and focussing on ball retention. In a number of games, we have passed the ball 2 or 3 passes wide and moved the oppositions forwards around a bit. This has created uncertainty in the defenders minds and also caused further exhaustion.

Has everything worked, No, but also bear in mind that we have easily the most players unavailable through injury and suspension than any other team. The last time we had anything like our best team on the paddock, was when we were winning games.

I have no doubt that we are looking at an external fullback, and I really would like to get the Wynnum Manly fullback ( Broncos junior). He has height Speed and is an elusive runner.

Take yourself back to the start of the season and most on here would have been happy if we avoided the wooden spoon. In fact we were favourites for the spoon at one stage. We are equal 8th at the moment and we will start getting some of our players back over the next month.

Great post.
May I add that one significant change already has been in the culture of the club. Long way to go on it, but the signs are there. A very good reason why Macca and a few others were brought in and others who strongly supported the previous regime are now on the outer or have decided to move on by themselves.

Change takes time and it won't happen until ALL are on board.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
They are actively targetting key positions and building/developing the rest around them..

As for us.....

Weve signed a 31 year old Hooker for 3 seasons.

Weve numerous signed middle of the road forwards from other clubs.

We’ve waived/overlooked the opportunity to have a nudge at players in key positions like Brandon Smith, and now reportedly Hynes.

The only thing I agree with is letting Dufty look at other options.. he’s had numerous seasons and umpteen opportunities to prove himself as our mainstay and he just hasn’t done it IMO. He’ll be better off elsewhere.

I’m not seeing anything better at the moment from our club as opposed to the last few seasons. One bright spark is Ryan Webb, who has improved comms out of sight.

But it’s on the field we need the drastic improvement..

Agree with all apart from letting Dufty go. I'd be getting rid of Norman and trialling Dufty at 5/8 or impact dummy half off the bench- his speed and passing game are match winning gifts few players possess.

possm

Coach
That's why we should keep Dufty if we are not after Nikko. Ramsey may be the answer next year but if he is not others mentioned are a year away. Ramsey doesn't have what Dufty has blistering speed and a passing game (yet).
We won't be keeping Dufty, Dufty is gone at years end.
Hynes is our target, he will sign with Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee
Warriors in the mix as well.

Eels axe Ferguson, Panthers overlook Naden as Warriors make play for Hynes
781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

By Michael Chammas
June 1, 2021 — 3.04pm

It's also a big week for Hynes, who is weighing up interest from the Warriors, Sharks, Raiders, Broncos, Storm and Dragons. The Dragons are yet to table him a formal offer but have decided to part ways with Matt Dufty at season's end.

It's opened the door for Cody Ramsey to make the No.1 jersey his own. It's unlikely Hynes will remain at the Storm with Ryan Papenhuyzen and Cameron Munster blocking his path for a regular starting position.

Full article below

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ee...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622525181-1

Illusion

Bench
Warriors in the mix as well.

Eels axe Ferguson, Panthers overlook Naden as Warriors make play for Hynes
781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

By Michael Chammas
June 1, 2021 — 3.04pm

It's also a big week for Hynes, who is weighing up interest from the Warriors, Sharks, Raiders, Broncos, Storm and Dragons. The Dragons are yet to table him a formal offer but have decided to part ways with Matt Dufty at season's end.

It's opened the door for Cody Ramsey to make the No.1 jersey his own. It's unlikely Hynes will remain at the Storm with Ryan Papenhuyzen and Cameron Munster blocking his path for a regular starting position.

Full article below

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ee...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622525181-1
Ok just my opinion don't be surprised if we sign Naden instead ....

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
As much as I rate young Hynes he wont end up at our joint......Ive given up counting the amount of times weve had our fingers and legs crossed hoping a very talented or elite player will wear the Red V from another club...we paid overs for players like Hunt which some called a major signing (not mine)...and tbh I cant recall the last decent name except for possibly Widdop that came our way

I had us rated as a 10-12th Team at the start of the year. We may finish higher although the quality across the competition is the poorest in the NRL era IMO.

Personally I don't think we are doing way better than I expected.

The sides we've beaten
  • Cowboys, Manly, Newcastle, Parramatta, Canterbury.
  • Of these - Parra was a standout win. All the others were busted teams at the time - Cowboys & Manly were travelling absolutely woefully. Newcastle lost players throughout the match inc their halfback early, while the Dogs are complete toilet this season.
The Sides we've lost to
  • Cronulla x 2, Tigers x 2, Melbourne, Roosters, NZ Warriors.
  • We've lost 7 of our last 8 games.
  • We were close to full strength against a Roosters side missing many players and got hammered.
  • We were down a man against the Storm for most of the game, who were missing plenty of troops themselves.
We've yet to play
  • Penrith, Souths (two x Top 4 teams), Broncos, Raiders, Titans.
Injuries/Suspensions
  • Yep when we get some troops back we should be a lot better performed.

For me - the two time's we've looked formidable was against Parramatta and the First half against the Storm. 3 halves in 12 games. That's just my opinion - but this side isn't any better than last season just yet IMO.

We are still in the top 8 having lost 2 more games than we've won - it says a lot for the quality of the current comp. And I'd be interested to know if there's ever been a top 8 side this deep, or deeper in the competition with a record like ours. And that we've had only 1 win in the last 8 rounds.... that's alarming in itself, but that a team can still be in the 8 with this record...

To me - if people are thinking we are performing way better than expected I'd suggest they have very low standards. Yes, many picked us for the spoon but I've never thought we'd be that bad.

As for people losing it - thats what the dragons forum is built on isnt it?!?!

But seriously - I'm not losing it, I'm just not seeing a collective improvement just yet on the team(s) we've had in the last 2 seasons. I'm confident with troops back we'll be better but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not deathriding the dragons - it's just we are currently a mediocre football team. But we are in plenty of company there.

Illusion

Bench
I had us rated as a 10-12th Team at the start of the year. We may finish higher although the quality across the competition is the poorest in the NRL era IMO.

Personally I don't think we are doing way better than I expected.

The sides we've beaten
  • Cowboys, Manly, Newcastle, Parramatta, Canterbury.
  • Of these - Parra was a standout win. All the others were busted teams at the time - Cowboys & Manly were travelling absolutely woefully. Newcastle lost players throughout the match inc their halfback early, while the Dogs are complete toilet this season.
The Sides we've lost to
  • Cronulla x 2, Tigers x 2, Melbourne, Roosters, NZ Warriors.
  • We've lost 7 of our last 8 games.
  • We were close to full strength against a Roosters side missing many players and got hammered.
  • We were down a man against the Storm for most of the game, who were missing plenty of troops themselves.
We've yet to play
  • Penrith, Souths (two x Top 4 teams), Broncos, Raiders, Titans.
Injuries/Suspensions
  • Yep when we get some troops back we should be a lot better performed.

For me - the two time's we've looked formidable was against Parramatta and the First half against the Storm. 3 halves in 12 games. That's just my opinion - but this side isn't any better than last season just yet IMO.

We are still in the top 8 having lost 2 more games than we've won - it says a lot for the quality of the current comp. And I'd be interested to know if there's ever been a top 8 side this deep, or deeper in the competition with a record like ours. And that we've had only 1 win in the last 8 rounds.... that's alarming in itself, but that a team can still be in the 8 with this record...

To me - if people are thinking we are performing way better than expected I'd suggest they have very low standards. Yes, many picked us for the spoon but I've never thought we'd be that bad.

As for people losing it - thats what the dragons forum is built on isnt it?!?!

But seriously - I'm not losing it, I'm just not seeing a collective improvement just yet on the team(s) we've had in the last 2 seasons. I'm confident with troops back we'll be better but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not deathriding the dragons - it's just we are currently a mediocre football team. But we are in plenty of company there.
Good post mate still time to drop further. .... Lets hope we finish strong and make the 8 ..... time will tell .....

Blood&Bandage

Juniors

Well said

Latest posts