What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale weakness or strength

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The bottom line is that if we want the club to become a powerhouse we have to forget emotion and start doing what Bennett did at Brisbane, then did the opposite and St George and Newcastle, and is now doing at Brisbane again. Start moving players on one year too early rather than one year too late. Creagh only has a one year contract but it wouldn't surprise me at all if next year is the last for both he and Nightingale.

I know you won't win any popularity contests with this post but I agree.
Take the emotions out of it. Tough call though

Sorry guys :oops:

TruSaint

Referee
The bottom line is that if we want the club to become a powerhouse we have to forget emotion and start doing what Bennett did at Brisbane, then did the opposite and St George and Newcastle, and is now doing at Brisbane again. Start moving players on one year too early rather than one year too late. Creagh only has a one year contract but it wouldn't surprise me at all if next year is the last for both he and Nightingale.

Im tying to understand your point with respect. Bennett took from Newcastle, Boyd who played busted and uninterested from Newcastle with him. Bennett took from Saints 2 forwards, in their 30's to the Knights.

2015 has been the ONLY year I can remember where Flo hasnt excelled, and there are many reasons for that.

Its just my opinion, but come September, if we get there, and bombs are raining left and right, players needed to take a hit up, defend like their life depended on it... then give me Flo.

The guy has done it at all levels. He is far from finished IMHO.

As for Captain blood, he can retire whenever he wants in my books. Still bends the line better than most.

Maybe you should approach both players and say hey Ben and Jason its time you retire because I said so lol.

If they laughed at you and told you to piss off I wouldn't blame them.

The Nick

Bench
Refer above.... He is an out and out legend and one of the best wingers in the game. No disrespect to to OT, but Flo is the solution.. not the problem.

I must admit I have become a bit frustrated with Flo at times this year... But to be fair he set a very high standard for himself and consistently reached it week after week, year after year.

This year he's just seemed so.... human?

But none-the-less I now feel ashamed for allowing myself to question him.

Thankyou Tru, BennyV, stphil and Mr Red (whose 3rd point makes me LOL every time I read it) for making me realise the error of my ways.

V

Vasilevsky

Im tying to understand your point with respect. Bennett took from Newcastle, Boyd who played busted and uninterested from Newcastle with him. Bennett took from Saints 2 forwards, in their 30's to the Knights.

2015 has been the ONLY year I can remember where Flo hasnt excelled, and there are many reasons for that.

Its just my opinion, but come September, if we get there, and bombs are raining left and right, players needed to take a hit up, defend like their life depended on it... then give me Flo.

The guy has done it at all levels. He is far from finished IMHO.

As for Captain blood, he can retire whenever he wants in my books. Still bends the line better than most.

It would be most unfortunate. Those 2 carried the team through the dark days of supercoach Price but I don't think there is any question they have both significantly slipped this year. The new interchange rules should help Creagh and hopefully Nightingale will bounce back starting from this week.

Having said that, without singling anyone out, I stand by my opinion that it would be better for the club to move players on one year too early as Bennett used to do and does again now at Brisbane.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Bennett certainly wasn't afraid to tell Wendell to hang up his boot at the end of 2009. He did it previously with Langer and most famously with Wally Lewis.

I also think that Hornby, Young and Cooper probably went a year too long.

But in regards to Creagh and Flo, I think they have another good season in them. Our premiership team has been ripped apart, they are the only 2 left, so it will be good to have them around a bit longer.

V

Vasilevsky

Bennett certainly wasn't afraid to tell Wendell to hang up his boot at the end of 2009. He did it previously with Langer and most famously with Wally Lewis.

I also think that Hornby, Young and Cooper probably went a year too long.

But in regards to Creagh and Flo, I think they have another good season in them. Our premiership team has been ripped apart, they are the only 2 left, so it will be good to have them around a bit longer.

They did go a year too long and Nathan Fein went 2 years too long yet all had another year left on their contracts when they left, all signed by Bennett. I believe Bennett started plotting against the Dragons the moment the premiership was won.

But being the only 2 left from that team should have no bearing on anything. Should be aiming for a new premiership winning team.

TheRev

First Grade
Hes certainly at the tail end of his career, but his defence under the bomb, leadership, determination.. these are all things we need to retain, plus veteran status/discount I imagine.

We have him on a reduced contract now also (which imo is fair), question now is that ongoing foot injury, will an off-season heal it or will it be ongoing? Guess we will find out..

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Yes we Dragons fans must remain fiercely devoted to our cherished premiership legends for life, and never turn on them!

*until the second they sign with another club. Then, regardless of the reason for the departure and whether they were pushed or not, we immediately despise them as villainous pariahs.

The Nick

Bench
Bennett certainly wasn't afraid to tell Wendell to hang up his boot at the end of 2009.

But the situation then was that Bennett couldn't hold Nightingale back any longer and needed to promote him to the starting side.

In our case now, who exactly are Creagh and Flo standing in the way of? They remain our best options in their respective positions.

Can someone please explain what Creagh has done wrong this season? From what I've seen he still gets through plenty of work, completes all the 1%ers (those little things the forum experts miss but his team mates and coach certainly don't), defends well, runs great lines, never shirks taking a tough carry etc.

I guarantee you when fit that Flo and Creagh are 2 of the first picked every week. And if you asked the rest of the team whether they wanted them in the trenches with them or not they wouldn't even need to give it a second thought and would probably think you're stupid.

watatank

Coach
But the situation then was that Bennett couldn't hold Nightingale back any longer and needed to promote him to the starting side.

In our case now, who exactly are Creagh and Flo standing in the way of? They remain our best options in their respective positions.

Can someone please explain what Creagh has done wrong this season? From what I've seen he still gets through plenty of work, completes all the 1%ers (those little things the forum experts miss but his team mates and coach certainly don't), defends well, runs great lines, never shirks taking a tough carry etc.

I guarantee you when fit that Flo and Creagh are 2 of the first picked every week. And if you asked the rest of the team whether they wanted them in the trenches with them or not they wouldn't even need to give it a second thought and would probably think you're stupid.

Agreed.

Nightingale is still our best winger comfortably. Our next best winger is probably Matautia and he's not good enough to supplant Nightingale. We need to sign/produce better options (preferably produce because signing is expensive) before we have conversations about moving Nightingale on early.

Creagh is still doing fine. His last two contracts were two years and one, and he's already playing games off the bench so he's not holding anyone back. His contract reflects that he doesn't have much time to go and is taking things years by year. Doing the right things by himself and the club.

V

Vasilevsky

I don't think either of them have done a lot wrong. I just think both have slipped this year. Maybe because Nightingale has been injured and Creagh has obviously been overtaken by the following players who are on the books for next year JDB, Thompson, Frizzell, Cooper and Au Mau and this year maybe even Matthews (though Creagh is for sure more consistent). Taken together with Masoe and Packer it seems like a very strong pack for next year. Though Creagh should do better in the middle with the reduced interchange.

I think people shouldn't take it personally. They have both been tremendous for the club for a long time but time and the new ways the game is played catch up with everyone. I still think both will be in the 17 next year but the year after, I'm not so sure. I think it would be better for the Dragons to take a leaf out of Bennetts book at the Broncos and err on the side of caution insofar as having any player in the team a year too long rather than letting them go a year early.

Surely anyone can understand there is far more upside in letting them go a year early rather than a year too late.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Nightingale's issue has been his lack of good ball from inside him.
If he scores 15-20 tries, we're not even discussing this.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Nighty is god. Do not even go there. He is one tough bloke and if he does put a bad effort in he will follow it with a great performance. Same as Creagh.

He has been plagued by injury and had his contract saga drag on when it should not have which disrupted his season. He will bounce back.

smi962

First Grade
Nightingale's issue has been his lack of good ball from inside him.
If he scores 15-20 tries, we're not even discussing this.

I have been more concerned this year about errors and defence - some bad 1-1 misses. Having said that I am reasonably confident he can bounce back when he overcomes his injury issues

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

My comment was in regards to Hornby, Young and Cooper. I think they all played a year too long.

With regards to Flo, he is still our best winger, but we do have to start given these younger kids like Glymin a go. Even Dufty should be given some time on the wing next season if injuries hit.

Creagh is still doing his job, but their is a lot more competition for forward spots next year. You'll find Matthews will struggle to find a bench spot.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Be it through age or recurring injuries we all know Flo has lost some of his spark now,,BUT for mine his presence in the team just adds that little bit of a more unified all round balance within the playing group