What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine commentary and presentation

Llangennech

Juniors
Id like to see them and Sunrise do the same thing for Magic Round and I wouldnt be surprised if that doesnt happen this year.

Our Magic round is waaay better than the 'one venue or one city rounds' and we play it at one ground, rather than 3 grounds 20km apart from each other and you have to hire a car haha.

But seriously if Ch 9 dont do that in Brisbane their "home of Rugby league" slogan makes them look even more stupid. The Karl is so fake and sucks up to everyone its ridiculous. I like a lot of people barely watch their coverage and cant get into it. Its just a shame we have to put up with them 4 times a year, State of Origin and Grand Final and the commentary is just garbage and boring. Johns sounds like he doesnt want to be there, Fittler can barely string too words together. And dont get me started on that show on Monday night where Gallen just wants to argue with Gus all the time and sound like a fool.
You've got high standards.

I don't watch much Channel Nine as I live in Wales, but co-commentators traditionally don't raise their voices much, they do nowadays more often but I wished they wouldn't. I said a few years ago that I wished Channel 10 would get the NRL with Origin and international matches staying on Channel 9.

Diesel

Referee
Yet another game in Newcastle and yet another game 9 couldn't be bothered sending thier commentators.

Please NRL give the next rights to anyone but 9 !!
TBF, I don’t think Fox does for 9 simulcast games, but for the so-called, self proclaimed “home of RL”, 9 are the shits and have been for a very long time

taste2taste

Juniors
In 5 minutes of watching Sharks V Nth QLD Gus has complained about a penalty for a strip, the disprupter rule and the bunker.

GET THIS DINASOUR OFF TV !!!!

Delboy

First Grade
How is Gus allowed to comment on other clubs issues when is a well paid employee of the Dogs. The NRL seem afraid to pull him into line, in one breath he suggests the Roosters ( a previous club of his ) should be allowed salary cap relief and extra funds from the NRL to keep Manu, then next says another club should pay what his previous canceled contract apparently was, not where the market is currently.

Diesel

Referee
How is Gus allowed to comment on other clubs issues when is a well paid employee of the Dogs. The NRL seem afraid to pull him into line, in one breath he suggests the Roosters ( a previous club of his ) should be allowed salary cap relief and extra funds from the NRL to keep Manu, then next says another club should pay what his previous canceled contract apparently was, not where the market is currently.
Gus has his agenda’s and can work it through the media. Until 9 lose the rights, we’ll keep hearing from him.

King hit

Coach
Was watching the Dolphins game on 9 as my mate doesn't have kayo. I said it in the thread during the game, Thurston is possibly the worst commentator I've heard in my life. As great of a player as he was he has absolutely no speaking skills and not even much analysis either. At least Lockyer could be unintentionally funny Thurston except for one particular moment @Reflector (we know what it is) doesn't even provide that.

Reflector

Juniors
Was watching the Dolphins game on 9 as my mate doesn't have kayo. I said it in the thread during the game, Thurston is possibly the worst commentator I've heard in my life. As great of a player as he was he has absolutely no speaking skills and not even much analysis either. At least Lockyer could be unintentionally funny Thurston except for one particular moment @Reflector (we know what it is) doesn't even provide that.
Yeah well done Locky, probably the better commentator...

mongoose

Coach
his bias is ridiculous, he honesty thinks any club he has worked at should get special treatment.

mongoose

Coach
you haven't heard SBW then...

Perth Red

Post Whore
More fool you for not buying Kayo! Why anyone, who can afford it, would choose to sit through ch9 covg when for less than a cup of coffee a week you could have Kayo is beyond me.

Scootsie

Juniors
I’ve been thinking about this for a while now because I couldn’t quite understand why I was finding Ch9 coverage so mediocre. Great camera angles, clear pics, endless replays but it was frustrating to watch.
I finally Worked it out last night.
It‘s because the commentators have given up calling the play. They just let the footage roll while they labour on about some issue or other, often unrelated to the game being broadcast.
It’s okay if you have sight and you know the players but when theres new players or something unfamiliar, the commentary team can’t be arsed to provide a verbal summary or description. If it was a radio broadcast or if you were blind you’d have no idea what was going on.

It‘s because the commentators have given up calling the play. They just let the footage roll while they labour on about some issue or other, often unrelated to the game being broadcast.
The first NRLW try on Saturday involved a wide shift and long-range finish from Tiana Penitani for Sharks. The move was almost over before the lead resumed contemporaneous calling. Allana Ferguson was still talking about a previous play.

Commentators not being at the ground is cited as a factor by some posters. Seems to induce a mood of mates chatting among themselves with the TV on in the background.

Scootsie

Juniors
The first NRLW try on Saturday involved a wide shift and long-range finish from Tiana Penitani for Sharks. The move was almost over before the lead resumed contemporaneous calling. Allana Ferguson was still talking about a previous play.

Commentators not being at the ground is cited as a factor by some posters. Seems to induce a mood of mates chatting among themselves with the TV on in the background.
Yes, I’d agree with that. You can tell which games they are commentating from afar. It sort of dulls the atmosphere.

Latest posts