What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine dumps Wimbledon to chase AFL

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?/topic/20135-aflnrl-ratings/page__st__20

NRL is smashing AFL this year, on all timeslots they go head to head... I think Wimbledon $$$ will be going straight to the NRL..

And Jeff Brown will have f**k all say in it, no decisions at Nine get made out of Melbourne, its all done from head office in Willoughby.

The sticking point for nine will be the fact that WIN are not at all supportive of the move on AFL and WIN run all regional networks Tasmania and Adelaide.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Monday night AFL is NOT worth $100 million a year. League barely works and that's with a game that starts early and finishes in 2 hours. That extra hour might make for some interesting arguments over at the Fight Club but it screws with their ability to take up opportunities like different timeslots on a school night etc. And there's no way the ratings would be worth $100 milllion a year.

bobmar28

Bench
Oh yeah, good plan! Nine, Seven and Ten get into a bidding war over AFL which gets its billion dollar deal. Ten gets NRL as the scraps for even less than the TV rights are now. :crazy:

A billion dollars for AFL? How about 800,000. About the same as NRL

Last edited:

I think the billion is wishful thinking....
What fumbleballers dont get is that yes you may get good ratings in VIC,WA,SA...but in the north where over half the population live there is little interest..as shown by the combined figure for Brissy & Syd..of 16K for Fri night.

Do they think that extra games will make any difference up here ...i think not.
As for the extra hr of viewing(advertising)time ...they are advertising to the same market (southern states) continually..Without getting any extra viewers in over half the country.

They will not pay extra to advertise to the same viewers....
When they can show that Fumbleball attracts a large number of viewers in two of the three biggest markets in OZ then they might get their asking price.

Edwahu

Bench
The AFL deserve a better FTA deal then the NRL. If they drop the mandatory prime time coverage into NSW & QLD and the anti syphoning list guarantees 4 AFL games to 3 for the NRL then the NRL wil do well to get 2/3rds of the AFL for FTA. The NRL should make that up in the pay component, which is where they really get criminally rorted.

Goddo

Bench
^ ... by news.

For the NRL to get a great deal we need the IC first, meaningful expansion plans, good long term plan, split media rights for origin / rep games, and a fair price for our excellent pay tv ratings. We are a long way from being at our peak.

AFL is realistically operating now at their peak- they are well organised, have political and commercial clout, and the only way they can grow is by destroying their rivals and expanding in markets where they are unwanted.

If the NRL could just get its sh!t together we would be at parody with AFL.

VictoryFC

Bench
Monday night AFL is NOT worth $100 million a year. League barely works and that's with a game that starts early and finishes in 2 hours. That extra hour might make for some interesting arguments over at the Fight Club but it screws with their ability to take up opportunities like different timeslots on a school night etc. And there's no way the ratings would be worth $100 milllion a year.

If you actually bothered to read the thing...its $100 million over 5 years. That's 20 mil a year.

russ13

First Grade
Last Night's Ratings.

The Iron Chef is still beating the AFL in Brisbane - 15 year old show, isn't it?:lol:

16 Saturday Night AFL Ten 497,000 *** 225,000 29,000 105,000 138,000
Saturday Night AFL One 95,000 *** 39,000 11,000 25,000 20,000

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/07/week-29-3.html

30 Iron Chef SBS ONE 245,000 88,000 95,000 42,000 20,000 ***

VictoryFC

Bench
^ Lol before I clicked the link I guessed the Comments section would have a fair share of AFL apologists...and I wasn't wrong. How can you defend those numbers? You can't. End of.

VictoryFC

Bench
Jarred says:
July 16, 2010 at 11:44 am
Sorry to revive an old debate but I found it interesting to note that their are record membership numbers for the AFL this year with around 614,000 people across 16 clubs, this will rise in the next 2 years with the introduction of the 2 new clubs. For those who question the billion dollar broadcast rights deal this will interest you, to quote the AFL CEO:
“the AFL’s single most important indicator of the game’s health remains attendances at our matches and the commitment of our supporters to become a member of one of our clubs.”
So TV ratings isn’t the number one priority which is what I implied some weeks ago now. You need to make more of an effort to actually attend the match than watch it on TV which means more commitement to our Great Australian Game.

Unbelievable.

Rob says:
July 17, 2010 at 6:08 pm
To all those criticising the AFL ratings and channel sevens decision to run it on delay, just look at the network figures for friday night… Seven clearly won the night by more than 2% to Nine. Thanks to BH&G and the AFL providing a strong audience hold till 11:30pm because of the 3hr game broadcast, unlike nines NRL coverage where the audience drops off after 2 hours when the second game starts, thus loosing the late night share and loosing the night. Its quite obvious why the AFL can demand more money for tv rights compared to the NRL.

It is incredible that people actually think like this. Kind of scary.

A billion is the number being thrown around as the AFL's objective. Will they get it? Who knows? I don't particularly care.

My point was that going all paranoid and cutting Ch 9 out of NRL because they are interested in AFL is a stupid idea, and all it would achieve is boosting the AFL's dollars and leave NRL getting whatever whoever was left could be bothered paying.

Jamberoo

Juniors
What is the total number of people who watch NRL in a week compared to AFL?
AFL has more games on FTA. Would their total be higher?

djst

Juniors
What is the total number of people who watch NRL in a week compared to AFL?
AFL has more games on FTA. Would their total be higher?

In a General sense with FTA and Foxtel combined, Capital centres, home and away rounds.
AFL -Lowest round is just over 3 million, highest is 3.9 million from this year.
NRL-lowest round is 2.4 million, highest is 2.9 million.

This does not take into acount the regional figures for both codes and Austar ratings,which i have no figures for.
Obviously AFL has more FTA games coverage,so it is not an Apples to Apples comparison.

abc

Juniors
The other thing to realize, leaving aside who has better ratings is the demographics of the audience.

18-49 is the most valuable demographic for all advertisers and within that females are more valuable than men. Certainly the fact that the AFL have close to a 50% female viewing audience as well as skewing young, means that TV networks can sell advertising to a larger group of advertisers.

eg. The demographics of NRL means that beer, electronics, car, etc. commericals might all fit but the AFL demographics mean that clothing, travel, jewelery, full range of food, etc. can also be approached. Thus with a wider group of advertisers bidding against each other for slots and the ones targeting women willing to pay more because of their higher purchasing power, greater influence by commericals and more often in charge of the family budget means that the TV networks stand to make more.

Hopefully this makes sense.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
For over 100 years have both codes coexisted somehow in Australia.

I doubt, whatever way you cut it, many things will change. Queensland and NSW will keep NRL, and all the other states can keep their aerial ping pong.

Edwahu

Bench
In a General sense with FTA and Foxtel combined, Capital centres, home and away rounds.
AFL -Lowest round is just over 3 million, highest is 3.9 million from this year.
NRL-lowest round is 2.4 million, highest is 2.9 million.

This does not take into acount the regional figures for both codes and Austar ratings,which i have no figures for.
Obviously AFL has more FTA games coverage,so it is not an Apples to Apples comparison.

Those numbers probably skew things a bit in the AFL s favour. The best overall numbers are in Roy Masters article from last year. The AFL averages about 10% more per game for the main competition. If the NRL had another FTA game then the difference would be basically nothing.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...utrates-afl-for-first-time-20091220-l7i3.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
can't believe they got 81K to game last weekend. Frick we would kill for a regular season crowd like that. It'd pay off Cronullas debts in one weekend!

WC Eagles announced that they have close to 60,000 members and haven't advertised for 7 years as the ground can only hold 42K!

We stll have a long way to go.