What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines

nrlnrl

First Grade
All I can add to all that has been said is they better perform against the Bunnies next week or it's a life boat for me.

yeah, they should have Widdop, Runciman, Beale, Creah, Stockwell, Hunt & Stockwell back for that

Dezziedc

Juniors
Each to their own I guess.

Complete disagree with you.

The Bulldogs treated it as a laugh. Hasler wasnt there. Nowhere near full strength. They don't care.

Where did we indicate we were taking this super seriously? We did say we didn't train for it. Not sure how this could be a valid arguement.

We took almost everyone.

Except for a recognised halves combination that won't be playing as our halves for the season.

We've banged on about improving our attack. .

Its touch footy - not real footy. And without the halves we will be playing with - which was the problem last year.

Next game will hopefully give us a better indication - but as has been mentioned - it depends on the amount of experimentation.

Dezziedc

Juniors
What stories gave I made up? If today's performance does make you happy then you have real problems!

Mate, it isn't real football. How can you be down on 2 20 minute games of touch footy. You are the one with problems if you are judging our season on that.

BennyV

Referee
Each to their own I guess.

Where did we indicate we were taking this super seriously? We did say we didn't train for it. Not sure how this could be a valid arguement.

Except for a recognised halves combination that won't be playing as our halves for the season.

Its touch footy - not real footy. And without the halves we will be playing with - which was the problem last year.

Next game will hopefully give us a better indication - but as has been mentioned - it depends on the amount of experimentation.

We took a fully-experienced NRL-esque side over, no rookies and few wild-cards. I'm not sure if you watched the games or not, but individual performances as well as lack of cohesion amongst the team were enough to show that we have not moved forward from last year.

I do get what your saying. It's not something to base our season on. But the fact that we lost isn't what stings. It's the fact that the same patterns are emerging as 2013. It shows we won't fair much better.

Dezziedc

Juniors
We took a fully-experienced NRL-esque side over, no rookies and few wild-cards. I'm not sure if you watched the games or not, but individual performances as well as lack of cohesion amongst the team were enough to show that we have not moved forward from last year.

I do get what your saying. It's not something to base our season on. But the fact that we lost isn't what stings. It's the fact that the same patterns are emerging as 2013. It shows we won't fair much better.

What I am saying is that you can't even say that. This is a different type of football - essentially touch footy.

If our attack sucks in the Charity Shield, then I will be concerned. But not for this joke format.

BennyV

Referee
What I am saying is that you can't even say that. This is a different type of football - essentially touch footy.

If our attack sucks in the Charity Shield, then I will be concerned. But not for this joke format.

It's not touch football, there's 4 less players per side...there's a bit more space, more energy and more urgency due to time limits, but it's jot as erratic at Rugby 7s. It's enough to show that we have no structure, little self believe and haven't grown from last year.

Dezziedc

Juniors
It's not touch football, there's 4 less players per side...there's a bit more space, more energy and more urgency due to time limits, but it's jot as erratic at Rugby 7s. It's enough to show that we have no structure, little self believe and haven't grown from last year.

OK well I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not willing to judge anything on the 9s games I saw today or the game tomorrow. I'll reserve my judgement for the Charity Shield and the first few weeks of the season.

The Mighty Atom

Juniors
Great result today, boys. Apparently Price has the team he wants, therefore these must be the results he wants.

He's an incompetent dope, and if things don't change pretty soon we'll be duking it out with Parra for the wooden spoon again instead of playing for a Premiership.

Please, Doust et al - GET RID OF HIM before he does us any more damage!!!

pinkmoon

Juniors
I'll make two points;

1. the 9's give absolutely no insight into how we will go in the NRL competition this year. This is a completely different game without so much as even set positions. How we play in the 9's has no bearing on the season proper AT ALL!

2. as far as a 9's side go, we are absolutely embarrassing and ridiculous to say the very least. Today was cringe worthy and shameful, but thankfully it's just the 9's. I couldn't believe McGregor was out there running drinks, not to mention a minute and half before the break?! 9 minute halves and he wants to take up a position on the field with a drink bottle?! :?

dino2170

Juniors
pinkmoon

You are trying to convince everybody that it doesnt matter about the nines competition. Yet it remains fact that they didnt even try. Remember we were supposedly the only team with players that either play first grade or those that were playing first grade in other teams last year. AND where does this attitude come from-its from the coach. HES THE ONE THAT MOTIVATES PLAYERS. HES THE ONE THAT PLANS THE ATTACK AND DEFENCE. DICE PRICE NOW HES THE ONE PERSON WE CAN BLAME FOR LESS MEMBERSHIP, LESS PATRONAGE AT THE GAMES AND LESS SPONSORSHIP. HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR TRASHING THE DRAGONS BRAND

HE SHOULD BE BANISHED FROM OUR GROUND FOREVER

Lethal25

Juniors
I think they took this tournament very seriously unlike some other clubs. Saints were the only club whose entire squad had first grade experience.

I will also wait until the season proper before getting too concerned but 3 tries in two games with 2 from kicks and the other in the dying minutes after being out of the game really doesn't inspire.

Every time they pull a jersey on you want them to be competitive and they weren't so that's an issue for me.

Plus, we could have done with the prize money according to our financials!

chillwinston

Juniors
I would've preferred to have taken alot more younger players with no first grade experience because at least that way it would've soften the blow...

It's a little bit alarming when the team is mostly 1st graders along with the fact that they have been "working" on their attack all pre season...

As someone said before it is only the 9's but it would have been encouraging to see something different in attack and play some ad-lib footy, I would have thought playing last in both games would give the team an idea how to play it.

we were woeful...

Saint52

Juniors
Last year i thought it would take 3 yrs to get back to a solid competitive team, the 9's performance has not changed my mind.

TheRev

Coach
o We will go a lot better at 13-aside than 9-aside, mostly because we rely on grinding teams down

o What fans (and me) are disappointed with is the lack of point-scoring danger on display so far... its like trying to drive blunt nails into the defensive line. Only Dugan (or a lucky kick) looks like breaking a defensive line that is 4 defenders short.. its extremely dissapointing to know we have to grind to win again, im really tired of a defensive game of football, I want to score points.

o The only positive is that were missing Widdop, oh boy is there some pressure on that mans shoulders!

dragonreddy

Juniors
I think its fair to say that its not just the pointscoring ,every aspect of their game was very ordinary ,same as last two years players running into each other ,dropping balls regularly and jersey grabbing.For those making excuses that its only 9's ,thes blokes are professionals and they need to start playing like it ,there is a pretty reasonable prize purse for the winner so dont pretend that the club couldnt have done with the money,and to say i doesnt count is crap.I hope they have a good season like everyone does,and after all the talk from inside the dragons with regards to his own team etc i wouldve thought some improvement wouldve been there yesterday,talk is cheap.