What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.1 Punk Band

Number 1 Punk Band

• Blink 182

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Offspring

• Greenday

• Good Charlotte

• Total voters

weasel

First Grade
If I had been in charge of posing such a question, and sadly I lack the poll making nous of Parramatt to ever do so, my personal preferences would have seen me choose the following foursome- NOFX, Rancid, Greenday or the Clash. My vote would have gone to the Clash.

SP

Bench
i prefer to listen to the offspring out of all those choices, green day would come in a close 2nd

Forum Idiot

Bench
those four bands arent punk rock bands. listen to a real punk rock band and youll understand why. blink, offspring and greenday USED TO BE punk but then they turned mainstream especially offspring. its almost embaressing. ill vote blink though.

Jono Russell

Bench
Forum Idiot said:
those four bands arent punk rock bands. listen to a real punk rock band and youll understand why. blink, offspring and greenday USED TO BE punk but then they turned mainstream especially offspring. its almost embaressing. ill vote blink though.

like matt said to someone early in this thread dont start all the there not punk bullcrap ok mate. like it or not there is no real punk, all these bands above including others are punk bands. some have there own different style of punk music but in the end they all come under the category 'PUNK'.

it is kind of liike rap some rapers you will hear they like to use some techno beats in there songs while others stick to the traditional bass in the background, but its all just rap.

people here dont want to hear your crap about which bands are punk and which arnt, it is a personal opinion i consider blink 182 and the rest as punk bands if you dont like that then shut up.

Anonymous

Juniors
Forum Idiot, you've just lived up to your name. Listen to a real 'punk rock' band? Why is it that when a punk band develops popularity amongst the general population, they're views to have sold out? It happened twice with the Offspring - after Smash and again after Americana.

Popularity doesn't determine musical genre. Style does. I listen to the Offspring and the Green Day of today and the style sounds remarkably similar to how it used to be. And yet, because they've been accepted by the mainstream, they're no longer 'punk' bands?

The problem is that 'punks' tend to think of themself as some sort of social minority, and anything that is mainstream can't possibly be a part of their 'rebellious' lifestyle. The fact that the punk style has become so cliched (like Goths) that by rebelling against everything, they're just conforming to a mainstream fashion sense.

Forum Idiot

Bench
El Garbo said:
Forum Idiot, you've just lived up to your name. Listen to a real 'punk rock' band? Why is it that when a punk band develops popularity amongst the general population, they're views to have sold out? It happened twice with the Offspring - after Smash and again after Americana.

Popularity doesn't determine musical genre. Style does. I listen to the Offspring and the Green Day of today and the style sounds remarkably similar to how it used to be. And yet, because they've been accepted by the mainstream, they're no longer 'punk' bands?

The problem is that 'punks' tend to think of themself as some sort of social minority, and anything that is mainstream can't possibly be a part of their 'rebellious' lifestyle. The fact that the punk style has become so cliched (like Goths) that by rebelling against everything, they're just conforming to a mainstream fashion sense.

get over yourself, dickwad. the fact is that these bands are no longer punk! i am not a punk and i am still a fan of blink and greenday. good charlotte arent and NEVER WERE punk, blink were punk until enema. smash was punk but then americana was not. if you had a brain you would know that blink broke into the mainstream with dude ranch which is a punk album hence that album is mainstream but then they changed their style with the next album and it is a completely different to dude ranch so it can no longer be called punk rock and for a good reason - IT f**kEN ISNT! if you think the offspring are still punk then you have problems. "i want you" ?!?!?! is that punk rock?! no f-ing way! and as much as i like blinks new single "action (feeling this)" it isnt punk. i dont know what it is but it sure as shit isnt punk.
just because you were once a punk rock band doesnt mean that you will always be one. Greenday were hardly ever punk rock and when they changed their style they became even less punkrock. "warning" how is that punk rock.

get out some old frenzal cds or even the sex pistols if you want punkrock. in the meantime - go f**k yourself.

Anonymous

Juniors
get out some old frenzal cds or even the sex pistols if you want punkrock. in the meantime - go f**k yourself

Ahhh lovely. The boy can't put together an argument so he resorts to name calling. Well done.

I own all of Frenzal Rhomb's CDs - and you mean to tell me that such hits as a cover of Home and Away's theme song, a song where the chorus is "I think you're really nice but I couldn't bring myself to f**k you" and another where almost all of the song is just "Ben is a merkin" repeated ad infinitum - these are all what punk is all about???

Because if that's the case, then bloody hell, sounds a lot like some of the gibberish that comes from the Offspring and Blink etc these days.

I listen to modern Offspring and it sounds pretty much the same style as it was back in the self-titled, Ignition and Smash days. Some of their songs are more aimed at marketability, but they still sound like the same old band.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
im not gonna vote because there is just not enough bands to choose from, but then again because punk is so good you would never hbe able to put on all the best because there is just too many.

as for people who believe that just because its pop-punk its not punk you are very much mistaken. there are many types of punk: old school, new school, emo, ska.....and so on. all these come under the name of punk. most people dicourage the pop-punk bands because they don't follow the punk ideals (which if you are a punk know that it is to do the opposite of mainsteam ideals). which is why pop-punk is seen to contradict the punk ideals. but what people must remember is that its not the band that is contradicting the punk ways its the fans. the fact that people are pushing the pop-punk music into the mainsteam limelight contradicts the opposition towards mainstream ideals that punk induces. its not the band or even the kind of music (pop-punk) that makes the pop-punk genre look like its moving away from the traditional punk genre, its the stupid mainstream fans. pop-punk is as much punk as the sex pistols or the clash made it out to be in the 70's its just it has changed over the years like so much other types of music, which is a good thing and a bad thing.\
PS i love all punk. from sex pistols (even tho were famous 10 years before i was born) to sum 41 and new found glory who are my favourite bands.

Forum Idiot

Bench
El Garbo said:
get out some old frenzal cds or even the sex pistols if you want punkrock. in the meantime - go f**k yourself

Ahhh lovely. The boy can't put together an argument so he resorts to name calling. Well done.

I own all of Frenzal Rhomb's CDs - and you mean to tell me that such hits as a cover of Home and Away's theme song, a song where the chorus is "I think you're really nice but I couldn't bring myself to f**k you" and another where almost all of the song is just "Ben is a merkin" repeated ad infinitum - these are all what punk is all about???

Because if that's the case, then bloody hell, sounds a lot like some of the gibberish that comes from the Offspring and Blink etc these days.

I listen to modern Offspring and it sounds pretty much the same style as it was back in the self-titled, Ignition and Smash days. Some of their songs are more aimed at marketability, but they still sound like the same old band.
:lol: ben is a merkin! that is an awesome song.

if you are gonna pick on frenzal then why do you "own all of " their cd's???
im pretty sure the mock cover they did of home and away wasnt a hit. and it was never really released on a proper album so....
and as for duggaduggabowbow - so what if its about not wanting to root someone? at least it doesnt sound like mainstream comercial shit like everything the offspring have done since smash. i mean fair dinkum - the lead singer cut his hair and now gels it! that is pretty gay! it used to long down to his arse almost but no longer! it is dyed blonde and gelled! pfffffff

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Stuff all that shit

The Sex Pistols, The Ramones (earlier stuff) & Billy Idols first band "Generation X" ar ethe only real Punk groups.

But the thread is about today i'd have to say Offsprings earlier stuff & i agree with the Idiot :lol: Offspring stuff is to main stream for my liking....sure they have a few mainstream songs which aren't very punk orientated but this is not what true punk is about....Real punk artists won't dare tread the line of mainstream..there too proud for that stuff!