What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Benji next year

V

Vasilevsky

Nick, WTF? Have you lost your mind? Dragons don't take Souffs likely NSW Cup 5/8 for this year as their halfback!!! Of course supercoach Price poached Suffs NSW Cup 5/8 to play centre and that didn't turn out too well. Elgey is a rising star, Kearny is a fading journeyman and Benji, based on last season, is still one of the best halves in the competition.

rasaint

Juniors
1st question and raised by Trusaint ' is Hutch the answer'. Certainly No. He is OK but to slow and predictable for half back. I think he will likely turn out a fringe 1st grader.

Benji is still a top shelf player. Another $ 450 to 500 K contract is fine by me.If Benji wants say $700 then too high at this stage of his career. I do like Luke Keary guys if available, would pay $600k for him.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
1st question and raised by Trusaint ' is Hutch the answer'. Certainly No. He is OK but to slow and predictable for half back. I think he will likely turn out a fringe 1st grader.

Benji is still a top shelf player. Another $ 450 to 500 K contract is fine by me.If Benji wants say $700 then too high at this stage of his career. I do like Luke Keary guys if available, would pay $600k for him.

Agree but still not sold on Keary for some reason.
My gut feeling is we would be in the thick of negotiations with possibly several halfbacks and the club is waiting to see how they pan out before a definite decision is made with Benji.
We appear to have options at this stage.
Should negotiations breakdown or not committed to by a deadline, provided Benji is playing well, he would then be offered a 1 year extension.

giboz71

First Grade
Letting Benji go, without any definite quality replacement, is dumb.
He played well in 2015, and now is playing for his future.

Is Hutch he answer ? Not sure. This Cronk crap has long been dismissed, and if not, at what cost he will come ?

He will ask double that of Marshall, and that will mean letting players go.

If anything tangible arises in the meantime, then we can discuss. We have no cert's for his position, and its not as if he was some weak link last year, when in fact he was very good.

All for " onwards and upwards " , but with caution.

I agree mate. Have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but the fact that Benji has been told he may not be required next year and how it's come out so publicly, suggests the club is well into negotiations with another half. If that's still taking place, saying Benji will be here next year is silly if another half does get signed. Hence the club has been very non-committal.

If I had to guess given our attacking issues last year, the club is talking to someone else. Who that is...who knows? Elgey, Cronk, Keary? No idea?

But you're right, it would be silly to be so non commital about Benji being here next year unless the club had a fairly good idea that someone else will be here.

TheRev

First Grade
Anyone collect clocks?
Any particular type in mind? antique? grandfather? I have a passing interest, one of my favourites:
121092.1.jpg

The Nick

Bench
With the state of our administration, should read 5 minutes to midnight.

Straight Shooter

Hey OV, you seem to have missed the following question directed at you.

You're not seriously asking whether replacing someone with someone better would improve us?

Please don't be evasive. I genuinely would like you to answer my original question, which was:

How would you improve our recruitment? Which position/s do you think we most need improvement in? And who would you buy for a similar cost/which areas would you be willing to weaken to allow increased spending on a replacement?

Would you like another 24 hours to formulate a response? I'm sure we're all happy to wait.

St Georgio

Juniors
I cannot believe some ppl here, Benji is the real deal for 2016 and 17 safe bet, finding gold in the rough are for dreamers.

Denver Broncos had an old man leading them to glory, show some faith Mary!

Last edited:
Hey OV, you seem to have missed the following question directed at you.

Would you like another 24 hours to formulate a response? I'm sure we're all happy to wait.

Lol, I love this place. Frustrating, yes, but so much fun.

I provided an answer - replacing Mary and Doust would be a good start.

I go to the heart of the problem, not tinker around the edges.

Unless you want to wait another 30 years for a premiership, that is.

Straight Shooter

SBD82

Coach
Lol, I love this place. Frustrating, yes, but so much fun.

I provided an answer - replacing Mary and Doust would be a good start.

I go to the heart of the problem, not tinker around the edges.

Unless you want to wait another 30 years for a premiership, that is.

Straight Shooter

If you think you're being clever you're wrong. That answer was incredibly transparent

You're a coward.

SBD82

Coach
Sorry mate, the cowards are people who appease mismanagement.

Straight Shooter

Sometimes.

Another example of a coward is someone who refuses to advance any ideas of actual substance for fear of leaving themselves open to criticism. The sort of people who are so insecure in their own convictions that they know they can't bear to be scrutinised.

That's ok. You get to live your life this way. I just want you to understand that I know you're a coward.

And if you ever choose to stop being a coward I'd love to hear your thoughts on recruitment.

Dragsters

First Grade
Agree but still not sold on Keary for some reason.
My gut feeling is we would be in the thick of negotiations with possibly several halfbacks and the club is waiting to see how they pan out before a definite decision is made with Benji.
We appear to have options at this stage.
Should negotiations breakdown or not committed to by a deadline, provided Benji is playing well, he would then be offered a 1 year extension.
X2

I too am not sold on Keary.

Old Timer

Coach
Sometimes.

Another example of a coward is someone who refuses to advance any ideas of actual substance for fear of leaving themselves open to criticism. The sort of people who are so insecure in their own convictions that they know they can't bear to be scrutinised.

That's ok. You get to live your life this way. I just want you to understand that I know you're a coward.

And if you ever choose to stop being a coward I'd love to hear your thoughts on recruitment.

SBD82 it is good to see you keeping the pressure up to get an answer but alas it seems inevitable you will only get further quips from OV.

This probably means he has no knowledge of other people or systems within opposition clubs or he thinks that all alternatives are equally as hopeless or more hopeless than the people and systems he derides at St GI.

In life there are those that are builders, those that are demolishers and of course in the middle sit the do nothing / offer nothing knockers.

So don't expect any substantial foundation to a response from OV to your question.

TruSaint

Referee
I agree mate. Have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but the fact that Benji has been told he may not be required next year and how it's come out so publicly, suggests the club is well into negotiations with another half. If that's still taking place, saying Benji will be here next year is silly if another half does get signed. Hence the club has been very non-committal.

If I had to guess given our attacking issues last year, the club is talking to someone else. Who that is...who knows? Elgey, Cronk, Keary? No idea?

But you're right, it would be silly to be so non commital about Benji being here next year unless the club had a fairly good idea that someone else will be here.

Bold= nailed it gib'z.

Latest posts