What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Expansion for at least 5 years

Illiterate

Juniors
For the game, personally, I hope Perth comes in to expand the horizon AND a 2nd Brisbane team comes in to give Brisbane a match each and every weekend, build rivalry, etc.

We need a Demetriou type to make tough decisions for all facets of the game.

If the broncos and titans can't build a rivalry how is a second brisbane team going to do it with the broncos. If they want to have more games in brisbane Sydney teams should just bring their home games vr the broncos to brisbane

Kirky

Juniors
It'd be delusional on our part to believe that the AFL would stop propping up their western Sydney franchise. They may choose to merge it with a struggling Melbourne team like they did with the Bears, but as with Brisbane and the Swans, they're in it for the long term. Regardless of how few spectators turn up to watch games or how few watch on television they will continue to fund it until it turns around, even if that takes 20 or more years. The AFL isn't the A-League. The fact they have a competition with the likes of Collingwood, Carlton, West Coast and so forth ensures that despite the ups and downs they will still pull in enough money to essentially fund this team indefinitely. And they will.

Leigh.

Yea, that's true enough. Though if it's costing them $20m a year to prop them up, and in 5 years time there's been no improvement in crowds/ratings, I think a drastic move (to Canberra for example) isn't out of the question. Time will tell.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yea, that's true enough. Though if it's costing them $20m a year to prop them up, and in 5 years time there's been no improvement in crowds/ratings, I think a drastic move (to Canberra for example) isn't out of the question. Time will tell.

Definitely possible, but they would have to completely re brand it or we would not accept it. Moving the Giants to Canberra and leaving there name and there colours the same would not work in Canberra because we see the Giants brand as part of Sydney and we are trying to distinguish ourselves from NSW, which in turn has created a huge hatred of taking NSW leavings which is how the public would interpret transplanting the Giants to Canberra. If it comes to the AFL moving the Giants they would have to decide if the cost of re branding is worth the move to Canberra witch is why in my opinion if the Giants move they are more likely to move to Tasmania.