What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No help for West Indies RL

ali

Bench
This is Paul Morris, Director of Rugby, Jamaica Rugby League talking about why the West Indies have withdrawn from the 2008 World Cup qualifiers. With a bit of help from any of the established bodies or clubs in RL, we may have been seeing them at the 2008 World Cup.

Anyway, if anyone has any spare gear lieing around, I'm sure the Windies would like to hear from you.

And Yes! This does belong in here! This needs a wider audience!

In little over 12 months the JAMAICA RUGBY LEAGUE ASSOCIATION has grown from an idea into a full blown reality and in doing so become a benchmark for other developing nations around the world.

All of the effort made by the JAMAICA RUGBY LEAGUE ASSOCIATION has been to establish the game in Jamaica and the success so far is due to the hard work of the people in Jamaica.

Not once have we asked for or recieved any finacial help or handouts to get up and running. We have gone by the motto that we needed to show people that we are indeed capable of playing and sustaining the game of rugby league here before asking for any outside assistance.

We have received invaluable support from just four dedicated local sponsors, Globe Insurance of Jamaica Limited, Omni Industries Limited, Jamaica Electrical Technologies (JET) Limited and Ericsson AB in Jamaica.

Along with Richard Lewis and the UK’s Rugby Football League in terms of Match Official and Coaching development and some practical help from Gary Hetherington and Leeds Rhino’s who supplied a set of shirts and hosted a delegation in the UK allowing us to develop links there.

We are currently completing our first full season and boast a five club league that have competed in a full twenty week season for both League and Premiership honours. Along with establishing a Jamaica Constabulary side, the Constabulary Knights that not only play in the National League, but also form a strategic part of the Forces Community Relations efforts, working in schools and communities across the island and will soon introduce the sport into some 400 Police Youth Clubs.

We have established and equipped three community playing fields with posts and implemented a Community Development Strategy to assist communities in developing their facilities including irrigation and maintenance to provide the opportunity to play many other sports including soccer, cricket and other field sports.

Every member of the Rugby League in Jamaica is a volunteer and all are covered by Personal Accident & Injury Insurance and our events carry third Party Liability coverage.

The JRLA has received great media exposure on the Island and around the world, featuring in newspapers and on TV and developed its own website at www.jrla.net . Such exposure has lead to some 4 new teams showing interest in joining the league fold as well as massive interest from rugby league fans around the world.

All these developments have come with just 7 international size footballs, 7 modified sized footballs, 5 mini sized footballs, 2 kicking tees and around 40 markers used for training drills.

In a country where the majority earn less than 2 US dollars a day the JAMAICA RUGBY LEAGUE ASSOCIATION have shown that they are indeed the real deal.

As a member of the West Indies Federation we are disappointed that we were unable to attend the qualifiers in the USA. however, we are in the same position as many new nations and are disapointed that even though we are some of the newest nations to the game, in some of the poorest areas of the world that that we are asked to play an extra round that we must fund ourselves.

To be fair we were offered some limited support by the RLIF, however to meet the costs of this trip would have cost some US$ 40,000 to be followed by a trip in 12 months to the UK and then maybe to Australia in 2008.

This year we will run our domestic 2006 rugby league competition in Jamaica on under US$50,000.

Our absence does not reflect on our commitment to develop and expand Rugby League locally, regionally or internationally and we will continue to develop and move forward.

Paul Morris
Director of Rugby, Jamaica Rugby League
Chairman West Indies Rugby League Federation
email: info@jrla.net

Kurt Angle

First Grade
If they get the sport in those 400 police youth clubs, then there should be some assistance.

Until then, it's still just park footy.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
So you reckon any body in the world that pulls together "100 mates", forms a 4 team comp and starts playing park footy, should then be entitled to a $100,000 handout ?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think the game should be promoted in as many countries as possible. It's the area in which union dominates league and attention should be paid to any country that shows genuine interest.

We have an obligation to help in some form. If that means just sending second hand gear accross. Don't tell me we can;t organise some 2nd hand jerseys, bump pads footballs cones etc...the club I play for has about a thousand!

Furthermore Kurt, do you think you could organise 100 blokes to play in a regular competition in your area?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
No I don't.

Even if I did, I wouldn't expect an professional sporting organisation to hand over $100,000 because of finding 100 guys.

Now, If i pushed it into schools, made it available in curriculum and laid down what is a solid infastructure, then it differs.

100 mates showing up is not building a culture, is 4 rosters showing up each week, and all it takes is a bit of apathy, and the whole thing collpases into nothingness.

You get it into schools or youth bodies, then you have something that feeds it perpetually.

linny

Juniors
Kurt,

Im sure the overall goal for the Jamaican Rugby League is to get the sport into schools, but how can you introduce that without anyone else in the country playing the sport, without any equipment...

I think if you got their story on the Footy Show, Rebel Sport or someone like that would donate a couple of grand worth of equipment.

They have done a damn good job to get where they are now

I agree with you, the youth is definately the future. But this is their FIRST year and I think its a pretty resounding success. You need to have some sort of comp running before you can just 'put it in schools' etc.

They have started a totally new sport and have managed to get a comp up and running on a shoe string budget, thats quite an achievement. Whilst they probably don't need money thrown at them, I think a supply of equipment to them is an absolute must to make sure the comp is viable and able to meet the demands for expansion.

We shouldn't be closed minded about helping out fledgling nations.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
linny said:
Kurt,

Im sure the overall goal for the Jamaican Rugby League is to get the sport into schools, but how can you introduce that without anyone else in the country playing the sport, without any equipment...

I'm not denying that, and I'm not denying assistance to the Windies would be a good thing.

What I'm denying is the expectation that after 1 years and basically 100 mates fulfilling 4 rosters, it's time to hand over $100,000.

If the NRL did that, I can tell you right now there'd be 200 competitions running worldwide next year.. every university would put up a sign "hey, 100 guys, pass the ball backwardsm we'll have the greatest piss up of all time".

I think if you got their story on the Footy Show, Rebel Sport or someone like that would donate a couple of grand worth of equipment.

I do to, there should be a central body such as the RLIF, where a package of a dozen balls, 20 tackling pads, etc should be able to be handled out on a whim.. but different stages deserve different rewards, and 1 season of 100 mates isn't worth $100k from the NRL.

They have done a damn good job to get where they are now

Great, I wish them further sucess in the future.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
International RL said:
They have started a totally new sport and have managed to get a comp up and running on a shoe string budget, thats quite an achievement. Whilst they probably don't need money thrown at them, I think a supply of equipment to them is an absolute must to make sure the comp is viable and able to meet the demands for expansion.

We shouldn't be closed minded about helping out fledgling nations.

I'm not denying that, I'm one of the greatest international proponents you will find, but as I said in my post above, you let it be known you will hand out $100k for a a comp after 1 year, you'll have every loony in the world chasing you the following year.

roopy

Referee
The Jamacia RL deserve 100k - but so do Serbia, Malta, South Africa, Holland, Germany, Estonia, Georgia etcetcetc.

The AFL give out this sort of money to anyone who want to set up a comp - and even they are starting to have better international development than us - which is bizarre.

In the last few years we have seen League fail in Argentina, New Caledonia and Singapore for want of a few dollars.

dimitri

First Grade
roopy said:
The Jamacia RL deserve 100k - but so do Serbia, Malta, South Africa, Holland, Germany, Estonia, Georgia etcetcetc.

The AFL give out this sort of money to anyone who want to set up a comp - and even they are starting to have better international development than us - which is bizarre.

In the last few years we have seen League fail in Argentina, New Caledonia and Singapore for want of a few dollars.

unfortunately that is true

:(

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it'd be cool if some of the established NRL/SL clubs could help emerging nations by sending over old footballs, equipment and other forms of league related stuff.

i'm sure a lot of clubs have heaps of sh*t sitting around they dont use anymore. the dogs could send over the fibreglass shoulder pads :)

Alan Shore

First Grade
It doesn't cost much to send them another 10 international size footys. This forum could probably get together and chip in enough money for it if we wanted to.

Bluebag

Juniors
Soccer is more popular than cricket in Jamaica, everywhere you go you see kids kicking a ball more than having a hit of cricket.

I have spent a lot of time in Jamaica over the years and feel our game would be loved as they would enjoy the physical part of our game.

The economy is stuffed and so they will struggle for money to develop the game so what they have done so far has been terrific.

Copa

Bench
Not once have we asked for or recieved any finacial help or handouts to get up and running. We have gone by the motto that we needed to show people that we are indeed capable of playing and sustaining the game of rugby league here before asking for any outside assistance.

Didn't these people follow through..?
http://www.totalrl.com/fansforum/index.php?showtopic=26653&hl=west+indies

Due to import problems into Jamaica, I have agreed to source much needed equipment and essentials with the JRLA arranging a shipping container to take the "Donations" back to Jamaica.

So why am I telling you and how can you help?

Project number 1 is to address the match ball situation so here goes....

for £10 you can have the unique chance to have your or your comapny name on the official JRLA match balls

for £270 you or your company could be the major sponsor of the JRLA match balls and carry your logo.

The match balls will carry the JRLA logo and hopefully 27 of your names printed into the panels.

Acknowledgment will also be made at Official Website

All you have to do is email to markt@wirlf.com at which time I will email you back an application form to complete.

Also on our much needed list are:-

Post protectors (any condition)
Flag belt sets
First aid and medical supplies
Tackle bags/shields (they currently have none)

If all pledges come in it looks like we should be able to supply each club with 5 match balls!

A massive thank you to everyone that has emailed me to make a pledge.

We now have enough pledges to order the first batch of balls upon receipt of payments so if everyone could send back their forms ASAP it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for everyones emails, if possible can you send your completed forms and payments to me by Friday as manufacturers have been spoken with and hopefully the match balls will go into production early next week.