What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Merritt Awards for City Selectors

Mr Saab

Referee
Dkos said:
So, you would not be complaining if Craig Gower was selected to play half for NSW despite Joey Johns being in better form and playing in a winning team?

I somehow think you would be absolutely spewing. :fist:

Very poor comparission.
Johns could (not that he would) have 4 x 5/10 games in a row and Gower could have 4 x 8/10 games and Johns would still get the picked in front of him.
Meritt is unlucky, but it is not all about scoring tries.

yobbo84

Coach
Johns Magic said:
For f**k's sake. No other person who didn't get picked made a song and dance about it, even one or two who deserved it more than him.

Why the f**k does he think he deserves a special explanation and meeting with the selectors? What an arrogant prick.

I can't recall any other player having such a public cry and whinge about not making a team in my life. Some people play well for years and never get picked, Merrit scores a few tries for one season and thinks he's a shoe-in.

Shut the f**k up you little bitch Merrit.

Question - how many other players did the media show up at during training and asked them why they think they didn't get picked?

Why didn't they go to Parra and ask Eric Grothe why they think he missed out?

It's sensationalism at it's best.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
I just hope Nathan puts his head down and continues to play good footy. I recall a couple of times when Shif was unlucky to miss Qld teams his club form dropped away dramatically, hopefully this doesn't happen with Merrit because his been great to watch for the past 12 months or so. No doubt his been hard done by, but three tries on the weekend will make his case a lot more convincing than any comment to the media or meetings with selectors.

Sugar

Bench
twistedbydesign said:
I just hope Nathan puts his head down and continues to play good footy. I recall a couple of times when Shif was unlucky to miss Qld teams his club form dropped away dramatically, hopefully this doesn't happen with Merrit because his been great to watch for the past 12 months or so. No doubt his been hard done by, but three tries on the weekend will make his case a lot more convincing than any comment to the media or meetings with selectors.

http://http://www.news.com.au/courie...-10389,00.html
CONTROVERSIAL South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt says he has pushed aside the race feud which has engulfed him this week and turned his attention to tackling the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night.
Merritt yesterday met NSW chairman of selectors Bob McCarthy to discuss the reasons the try-scoring machine wasn't picked in the City team for tonight's traditional NSW Origin trial in Coffs Harbour.
The pair spoke amicably about Merritt's controversial accusation he was snubbed by selectors because he is an Aborigine. McCarthy, a Souths legend, declared he was not a racist and told Merritt to cop his omission "on the chin".
"I wanted to clear the air," McCarthy said.
"I said to him, 'Mate, we know you're there, just keep scoring tries and we'll take notice of you.
"Just do what you're doing and if you keep scoring tries, you'll jump over a couple of people. But you have to cop things on the chin'.
"The young kid is embarrassed by it all."
Merritt welcomed the meeting and said the issue was now dead. "It's buried. It was buried on Tuesday as far as I'm concerned," Merritt said.
"I'm just worried about Friday night's big game against Brisbane. I just want to focus on that. But I had a good talk (with McCarthy). He told me to keep going. Keep knocking on the door and you never know what could happen. It's all done and dusted."
Merritt, who has scored 29 tries in his past 31 games, will be marked tomorrow night by Broncos young gun Darius Boyd, who will return to the wing after playing in the centres against Melbourne last week.
Boyd said he did not expect Merritt to be off his game, despite the media frenzy that has centred on him this week.
"He's playing really well, it should be a good contest," Boyd said. "Speed is one thing he's definitely got. He'll be hard to defend against."
The Rabbitohs will hold an open training session at Langlands Park today (5pm).
It will be followed by a function at Easts Leagues club for Rabbitohs supporters where chief executive Shane Richardson and head coach Jason Taylor will speak.
Tomorrow afternoon, the Queensland Rabbitohs supporters club will hold a pre-game function at Easts Leagues from 3pm.

Daley went head on with PHAC on nrl on fox last night.
I thought PHAC came across as a fool but Daley said Nathan should keep doin what he has been doing on the field and he might find himself with an origin jersey maybe not game one but you never know what could happen.

Latest posts